Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aquifers: Cave In Technique Questions  (Read 6589 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Aquifers: Cave In Technique Questions
« on: October 17, 2013, 09:48:31 pm »

Alright, I got an aquifer problem. I got magma, but I tried to fill it with obsidian but it won't work. I got 3 pieces of wood from embark, and two pieces of slate and I want to cave it in. I read on the wiki to do the plug technique, you have to channel out under the plug where the aquifer is. My problem: I cant get enough room to do the plug. I'm like 1 z level too short. I'm also in a terrifying biome and I locked myself inside, so resources are scarce. What can I do to channel under the aquifer without screwing myself over? its surface, 1 level down, 2 levels down, aquifer... Its 1 level of aquifer though, so its manageable.
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifers: Cave In Technique Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:02:21 pm »

What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 11:33:59 pm »

I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:39:57 am »

I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma
I... Think I can see the problem here. As a general tip for avoiding flooding your fortress, it's wise to double-check any aqueducts before you start the flow. Also, totally sigging.

Unfortunately, I think the magmatic method will be your best bet. Unless you can construct enough pumps to drain a patch of aquifer... Two levels of soil is almost certainly not enough.

How, pray tell, do you know that it's only one level?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:43:05 am by Niccolo »
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 07:04:14 am »

I... Think I can see the problem here. As a general tip for avoiding flooding your fortress, it's wise to double-check any aqueducts before you start the flow. Also, totally sigging.

Unfortunately, I think the magmatic method will be your best bet. Unless you can construct enough pumps to drain a patch of aquifer... Two levels of soil is almost certainly not enough.

How, pray tell, do you know that it's only one level?
I solved it by luckily finding another layer. It was flooded at first with a layer of water 2/7 but it drained as I dug it out. How WOULD you use magma to fix that?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 08:07:26 am »

If it was just a single layer of aquifer (I should be so lucky!) I'd dig out enough squares for an entrance and surrounding wall, let 'em flood and then pump magma in until it was all obsidian. Then dig through the obsidian to make stairs.

You'd have to do it in concentric rings if you had more than one aquifer layer to pierce.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 08:15:00 am »

If it was just a single layer of aquifer (I should be so lucky!) I'd dig out enough squares for an entrance and surrounding wall, let 'em flood and then pump magma in until it was all obsidian. Then dig through the obsidian to make stairs.

You'd have to do it in concentric rings if you had more than one aquifer layer to pierce.
I got no stone or wood to do the pumps though

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 10:34:18 am »

No sand on the map? And no stone to make a glass furnace. Damn, you unlucky.
Check out my RtD!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 11:05:14 am »

No sand on the map? And no stone to make a glass furnace. Damn, you unlucky.
I embarked with two stones extra save for the little hut I made to seal the fortress off. There was silt and clay, but that's all. And aquifer... A wide area of aquifer...

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 11:53:44 am »

So, you obsidianize the aquifer and flood your fortress with magma? I fail to see the downside here.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 02:45:13 pm »

So, you obsidianize the aquifer and flood your fortress with magma? I fail to see the downside here.
As soon as it obsidianized over a 3x3x1 area channeled out, it proceeded to flood OVER the obsidian and up a floor, melting anything that isn't magma safe (pretty much everything but the workshop, as it didn't reach there for some reason...)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 04:32:53 pm »

I'm sorry, that was meant as a bit of a joke. As if I thought flooding your fortress with magma was a bonus, or at least acceptable.

But seriously now, why not just flood the fort? You can put anything irreplaceable in a stockpile outside. Burrow everyone important in a safehouse not connected to the main fort.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 04:46:02 pm »

I'm sorry, that was meant as a bit of a joke. As if I thought flooding your fortress with magma was a bonus, or at least acceptable.

But seriously now, why not just flood the fort? You can put anything irreplaceable in a stockpile outside. Burrow everyone important in a safehouse not connected to the main fort.
Because giant undead ravens are hungry for blood

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 10:36:27 am »

Is this a slight modification of the single pick challange?  If so we explored various methods of safely breaching an aquifer in a terifing biom under those conditions.    Unfortunatly 2 soil and 1 layer of aquifer was not one we came up with a good method for breaching without some surface exposure although there was some untested speciulation on how to go about it when the thread died.   You might want to read through that linked thread and see if any of that helps you.  Its too bad its not a 2 layer aquifer as we found and even did walkthroughs of how to breach that without ever opening up to the surface without needing any resorces beyond a miner with a pick.   Most of the safe methods are on the last couple pages as we tried several approaches prior and refined the techniques as we went.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 02:23:27 pm »

There just wasn't any trees or anything like that, I had other gear though, so I could make some stuff with the leftover rocks I had and some leftover wood from the wagon also

Pages: [1] 2