Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing With a Titan?  (Read 936 times)

Crowbar Offensive

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dealing With a Titan?
« on: October 20, 2013, 11:45:59 pm »

So there I was, minding my own business, when I got the message "The swamp titan ustru okomukong has come!". It's basically a feathered python that breathes fire. I successfully got all my dwarves inside my fortress and raised the drawbridge, and the titan has kept himself busy chasing the animals around and turning the world outside my walls to ash. I've got about 100 dwarves and no military set up yet. I have lots of iron, but unfortunately no flux, so I am limited to 9 bars of steel. Any ideas on how I should deal with this?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing With a Titan?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:43:19 am »

If he's fire breathing, you're in a spot of trouble with limited metal. If your heart is set on close-range combat, your dwarves need fire-safe shields and armour as a must!

Better to just turn it into Swiss cheese from some fortifications one level up. The flames will go through ground level fortifications, if I remember correctly.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 01:37:19 am »

iirc, shields arn't damaged by the fire they block, so leather shields or wooden are fine. Furthermore, unless the titan is made of iron itself, iron is going to be enough to kill it. I know steel is more dwarfy, but iron will be fine for most situations
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 02:20:02 am »

iirc, shields arn't damaged by the fire they block, so leather shields or wooden are fine. Furthermore, unless the titan is made of iron itself, iron is going to be enough to kill it. I know steel is more dwarfy, but iron will be fine for most situations

I could have sworn I remember reading about people having shields catch fire and the dwarves continuing to use them...
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 05:20:56 am »

well, first off then I admit that I don't know if they won't catch fire, however, I do know that they arn't directly damaged by it. Shields can be used to protect a soldier agains dragonfire, which is hot enough to destroy practically everything including things that survive magma. If it can do that, regular fire breath should be fine.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.