Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how do i get my dwarfs to make soap?  (Read 1408 times)

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
how do i get my dwarfs to make soap?
« on: October 19, 2013, 04:42:52 pm »

i have everything needed but when i try to make soap in the workshop it has two options in red:make soap from tallow and make soap from oil
nothing about making it from lye and when i select one of them it shows me what looks like something from the code
any way to fix this?
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how do i get my dwarfs to make soap?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 05:58:10 pm »

Are any stockpiles linked to 'g'ive to the soap workshop? Such links frequently mess things up and have no benefit for soapmaking.

Is the fat properly rendered into tallow? "[animal] fat" cannot be used.

Do you have lye in useable containers? It's generally best to not allow lye on any stockpiles, especially not on stockpiles with barrels. Dwarfs often end up cramming a lye bucket into a barrel, which makes all lye in the barrel unavailable to the soapery.

To make sure the components are available, check your stocks. Lye must be shown under "liquid" and tallow under "glob". Frozen lye (listed as "glob") cannot be used for soapmaking.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 07:49:42 pm »

i have everything needed but when i try to make soap in the workshop it has two options in red:make soap from tallow and make soap from oil
nothing about making it from lye and when i select one of them it shows me what looks like something from the code
any way to fix this?
Lye is used no matter what kind of soap you're trying to make. You need either tallow or oil.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 03:01:56 am »

(lye) + (tallow or oil) = soap

if both options are red you either don't have one of the ingredients or a burrow covers the workshop that doesn't include one of the ingredients. The burrow doesn't have to be used, just being there is enough
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 10:46:47 am »

oh so i need both lye and tallow/oil darn i don't have any animals and my hunters wont hunt  >:(
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 11:22:33 am »

Oil from Rock Nuts?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 11:37:45 am »

oh so i need both lye and tallow/oil darn i don't have any animals and my hunters wont hunt  >:(

Do they have all that is needed to hunt? Crossbows? Quivers? Bolts? Prey?

Anyway, you can request some from outpost liaison next autumn.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 02:07:33 pm »

If you have a military you can order them to station near wild animals. They'll chase them around and kill them, then you can butcher the corpses.