Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HFS Question  (Read 1108 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
HFS Question
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:46:27 am »

This is an endgame-related question, which I'd like to know about so I know what I'm getting into, or rather will, most probably, get into. Spoilers beyond here.
I would like to know if there is an approximate formula for the amount of demons in hell. Also, is it possible for some of the generated types to be unkillable?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:19:12 pm by Dwarf4Explosives »
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Circus and it's Clowns
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 12:00:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 02:23:14 pm »

Good.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 04:30:42 pm »

There's really no need to spoiler every single message in this post - it's better to just put a spoiler warning in the subject line (and preferably call it "HFS Question", since the official name is "Hidden Fun Stuff").
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 05:29:37 pm »

And that's why, you have to thank every god in the book for drawbridges!

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HFS Question
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 06:20:14 pm »

Okay, so the key to defeating demons permanently is basically the same as any other enemy: block off the access for new ones?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 06:50:17 pm »

Yes, but good luck building that close to the edge.

You may be able to force a group of wandering demons to stay on the map by lining a corridor with 1x1 bridges and then raising them after the demons come in. The bridges on unoccupied tiles will raise, forming an unbreakable wall. Assuming that wandering demons spawn under the same conditions as the rest of the wildlife, the presence of a member of one group on the map will prevent any further groups from spawning.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 10:40:18 pm »

This definitely works, but if your map contains multiple biomes, you may need to trap one demon from each biome to totally block spawning.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 10:44:45 am »

Hmmm. Your avatar, Sutremaine, has given me an idea. Maybe if I modded the games files so I can have doctors treat the wounds of enemies...and then I apply doctors with zero diagnosis skill...well, it'd work on the demons with organs. I don't even want to know what it'd do to blob-like demons.

Either that, or I can use the (relatively) simple plan of building a few small walls in hell and then use that as a place to start magma-ing the place and then turning that into obsidian.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:46:53 am by Dwarf4Explosives »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 11:49:12 am »

Hmmm. Your avatar, Sutremaine, has given me an idea. Maybe if I modded the games files so I can have doctors treat the wounds of enemies...and then I apply doctors with zero diagnosis skill...well, it'd work on the demons with organs. I don't even want to know what it'd do to blob-like demons.

Either that, or I can use the (relatively) simple plan of building a few small walls in hell and then use that as a place to start magma-ing the place and then turning that into obsidian.

I don't think there's a way to make doctors commit malpractice on enemies. It might be possible to make a weapon that uses one of the medical skills in combat though and have a squad of battle surgeons wielding razor scalpels or something.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 01:10:05 pm »

I know that, I just think seeing the screen message along the lines of "Your doctor, Urist McUnskilled, has ordered ClownMcHorrifying's spine removed." would be the greatest possible outcome for a fortress. Or something of that sort, at any rate.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:11:45 pm by Dwarf4Explosives »

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 06:38:46 pm »

I've never seen an incompetent doctor actually make an incorrect diagnosis or try to do a detrimental surgery. I don't know if that used to happen, but I seriously doubt it can happen in the current version. Bad surgeons do seem to cause a lot more blood loss, though.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 07:46:01 pm »

As far as I know, the only detriment to using an unskilled doctor is that it takes longer.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 07:46:37 am »

Oh well, I'll just have to go with the tried and tested method of using magma and water to freeze hell over in sections.