Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 40981 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 10:12:47 am »

Hell yeah. I will get to 50k this year. I can feel it.

Nano name is 'cazp', feel free to buddy me.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:31:07 pm by Caz »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 10:48:25 am »

I only made about 35k last year, but this time I have a idea set up somewhat better than last time, so that might help. Hoping I make the 50k.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 03:52:16 pm »

Hey, I just signed up!

I'm "rnddim" for those who wish to add me as a buddy.

EDIT: I think I'm off to a good start. I just opened up five tabs on various interesting threads I spotted in their forums.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 03:56:04 pm »

Was wondering when someone would post this. Ready to do it again this year.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 04:14:24 pm »

May as well, I'll probably start a new writing project anyhow :p
Nom nom nom

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 04:58:50 pm »

Earlier this year, I wrote about 25,000 words on-and-off over three weeks with minimal planning.  I've been considering taking the week of Thanksgiving off work so I'd have plenty of time, since the biggest hurdle then was weekdays.

The problem is, I have absolutely no idea what I would write.  I've considered using a plot generator to give me a hook and see what happens, but I get the feeling anything I try to write as a contained story on a brand new concept would just be some high-concept narrative that fills a lot of paragraphs but never really goes anywhere.  I've also got a ton of other shit I want to be doing that a month of focus would kill even more than laziness already has.

Also, isn't the definition of a novel 40,000 words?  I seem to remember that being the standard for NaNoWriMo in years past, why is it 50,000 now?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 05:03:03 pm »

It's always been 50,000 words, and that's still sort of pushing it as far as novel word counts go. Most published stuff is around 80,000-120,000, with that upper bound being discouraged. Epic fantasy clocks in around 200,000. Now with digital publishing, old word counts are starting to be a little more flexible than they used to be, just because the hard copy logistics are not as much of a thing anymore.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 05:07:25 pm »

I know how big published stuff used to be, the idea of NaNoWriMo is to meet the minimum definition of a novel in minimum time.  It's just I always remember the minimum definition of a novel being 40k.

I'd say it makes the task sound more daunting, but I suppose 25% more than 40k isn't that big a difference if you can make it to 40k anyway.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2013, 11:08:38 pm »

I hope I'll be able to participate this year. I've been incredibly busy this week, and it only looks like it's going to get worse from here on in. :(
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2013, 11:23:16 pm »

Is there a bay12 group to join on the nano site or are we just going to compare notes and grumble about caffeine in this thread?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2013, 11:44:03 pm »

I doubt I will be able to get even a hundred words down this year. Will give it a shot nonetheless :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 01:25:00 am »

* Skyrunner merely flops

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 01:30:47 am »

Ah yes, I remember last year I was going to join but suddenly video games wrested my attention away. The year before that I made some terrible thing, but actually succeeded.

Sadly, don't think I'll join this year because I'm busy-busy but PTW anyway.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 01:48:40 am »

Just signed into the site... Apparently my username from a couple years ago is "Kotshka." Feel free to buddy me, guys.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 02:42:58 am »

Alright, I think I buddy'd up everyone who posted their nano site ID. My ID is Darkmere (gasp!), but I can't find myself on a search. That could be because my account is brand new?

I just spent a couple hours doing a rough character sheet and chronology for ~20 major events in my novel, so I'm enthusiastic, tired, and off to a decent start I think. the notes .doc came out to exactly 1337 words. Tomorrow... world-building!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32