Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 41853 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Begins!
« Reply #195 on: November 01, 2013, 10:13:25 pm »

Something cuter and shorter. But not too cute. I was going to go with Tito but he's not Mexican.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 01, 2013, 10:17:20 pm »

Bob.
Frank.
George.
Georgie.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 01, 2013, 10:19:44 pm »

No NaNo for me today. Super early morning to look forward to.

I get the feeling I'll be using that excuse a lot this year  :-\
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 01, 2013, 10:21:41 pm »

Carl.

And yeah, my word count's about 10-ish, due to me having a total block on storyline, as well sudden uncertainty on what I want to write on. I have two starts already written, but I just need to go by this point. Missing tomorrow, though, so I'll be two days behind. Ah well.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2013, 11:33:41 pm »

I've read some good fanfic. Hard to find, sure, but not impossible.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 01, 2013, 11:35:03 pm »

I must sleep as soon as these damn meds wear off. Quickly, a non-mexican equivalent of "Tito." I am seriously stumped.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 01, 2013, 11:40:08 pm »

Timmy.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 02, 2013, 12:01:15 am »

Terry. Tommy. Todd. Titus. Tartarus. Benny. Benito. Ben. Benjamin. Billy.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #203 on: November 02, 2013, 12:35:26 am »

2005 for day 1. It's kind of nice having just moved to Pacific time, gives me a few more hours to procrastinate. On the flip side, doing this on top of finishing my PhD and a full time job will be ... interesting.

Is anyone else planning on publicly posting their work? It's always interesting to read what others come up with. I'm thinking about blogging mine (see sig), although I'll wait until the first chapter is done before posting this time around. Daily updates are a pain.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 02, 2013, 12:45:31 am »

Spent all day doing jack squat.  Although I actually did quite a bit of writing this week (while at my job) it's for an unrelated project.

So far the TVTropes random plot generator hasn't given me anything very inspiring.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 02, 2013, 01:55:16 am »

Got a few hundred words written on a new idea. Looks like I'll be sticking with this one.

The thing is, fanfic isn't there to be good in the first place. It's a place to cut your teeth as a writer as you start your climb up the ladder. You learn how to start and finish a project. Or you learn that you can't hack it and stop writing forever. Sometimes that happens. Nevertheless, you get feedback for what you write many times, and even if it's not good, it gets you used to feedback. It's the kiddie pool area of writing. It's to be used for experience. Thus it doesn't really matter if it's crap or not. It's the stage where it's supposed to be crap as a learning thing.

[/opinions]

That's a pretty recent view, and I think it has a lot to do with some sort of bizarre combination of a misunderstanding of Sturgeon's Revelation, of the reason people write and read fanfiction, and a general unfamiliarity with the subject. I'll grant, certainly, that there is a massive sea of shit, and that it's much more obvious than in other media (particularly those that require investments of time/money). Due to the nature of the beast, it's also damned difficult to sift out genuinely good stuff. That said, though, I've spent probably upwards of 30 hours simply searching for good stories, and I've found a solid core of perhaps 20-30 that are both within my range of interest (more than a few coming from places I didn't expect, and good enough to interest me in the source material; on an unrelated note, there's a broader pool of perhaps as many as 100 stories which, while not publishable, show enough ability that they easily could be with proper editorial assistance) and above professional standards--mind, too, that "professional" writing can be surprisingly terrible, even from respected, published authors.

It's also true that a lot of younger writers these days use it as a jumping-off point (though most don't get beyond the point of "how do i into plot" or "no dun flame pls"), but that is neither the origin nor the heart of the medium. I know of at least three or four active fanfiction authors who are also published novelists in their own right. This is all fairly off topic, however, so I'll cut myself off short.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 02, 2013, 02:32:31 am »

Stopping point for the first full day is 2360 words, at a spot where I'm eager to jump back in tomorrow. Things are shaping up pretty well; I have a few setups for great payoffs later on (I also setup the last line of the novel in the prologue), and I'm getting closer to the fun parts of the book I really look forward to writing. Huzzah!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #207 on: November 02, 2013, 02:45:58 am »

Mind you, concerning the fanfiction argument, I know there's a hell of a lot of horrible things out there that would make your skin crawl and yourself die in a corner of agonizing torment while muttering 'Why? Why god, why do you let this live?'
At the same time, I wouldn't be able to write half as decently as I do now without having used Fanfiction as a starting point. The only real working tip for anyone wishing to become a writer is to 'write and write'.
So yes, I agree, it doesn't take much to write a 'shitty' story.
Still, better a completed shitty story than no story at all.
Because along the way people will comment on it, which is something you won't normally have. People will say if the story is good or not, if there are some points of the plot that are agonizingly horrible or good and that kind of feedback is the type you'd normally find in those literary clubs where you have to stand up and speak your own point of view.
Only, with the internet and fanfiction, you have something like a pool of at least a good thousand hundreds of potential reviewers. That then translates in reviewers for at least a good ten-to twelve per chapter, and in those ten to twelve reviews, the majority will be about 'please update soon' or 'great story!' but one, or two, will be constructive criticism.

"You should use less commas and more periods." "Careful when you make a spoken sentence, because if you finish it with the comma," the reviewer said, "you don't need to put the T of the as a capital letter."
And so on. Yes, fanfiction is a kiddie pool, but it's way better to start in a kiddie pool then start to swim in the ocean, rather than fly down a cliff and smash against the rocks below.

(Btw, I'm Italian. So it's twice as hard for me to write grammatically correct sentences in English...but I try all the same.)
I know I'm far from perfect or even good...but I'll get there. Word after word that I spew I will get there. Writing fanfiction if I have to.
So don't offend the genre. Offend the thirteen year old with hormonal imbalances that suddenly found it interesting to write a story of Harems because they'll never have one in their lives.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 02, 2013, 03:01:26 am »

...English isn't your first language?

You type better than half of my family  :o

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 03:22:54 am by Pufferfish »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 02, 2013, 08:46:08 am »

After 2182 words today so far, I'm taking my break. I intend to double it at the very least by the end of the day. I've soldiered on through such obstacles as distracting people, reading about the myriad roles of naval personnel, and overt homoeroticism.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32