Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 41725 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Begins!
« Reply #240 on: November 04, 2013, 01:20:09 pm »

Today I got a message from the person I thought would help with my research. She has decided she doesn't have time for me. So no research. I'll have to make everything up. It makes me surprisingly nervous. It's very easy for me to pour out words when I already know what I'm writing. When I can see the place in my head, discuss the details of it with someone. To make the whole thing up from scratch, that's going to be much more difficult. I'm constantly worried that I'm writing something inaccurate, that I'm making continuity errors, that the people who read it (many of whom live in the area I'll be describing) will say "that's completely wrong" and slam the book shut in anger.

I'm considering taking a day trip to that village on a weekend, just to see it with my own eyes. But then I'll feel strange. My friend grew up there, her parents still live there. What if she happens to be there when I visit? I don't intend to tell her I'm going. She's been very unreliable and has let me down several times and I'd prefer to just take a break from her for now. I feel like I'll be invading her space. She's not a very open person. She might be refusing to help me just because she doesn't want to share anything about her life with me.

It's day 4 and I'm already having massive interference from life issues.

I haven't been feeling good today. I'm afraid I won't have it in me to make my word count, and I know myself: once I miss a single day, I'll allow myself to miss more and more. I have to find a way to pound out the words, even if I just write random nonsense that I can fix up later.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 04, 2013, 01:29:04 pm »

It's day 4 and I'm already having massive interference from life issues.

I haven't been feeling good today. I'm afraid I won't have it in me to make my word count, and I know myself: once I miss a single day, I'll allow myself to miss more and more. I have to find a way to pound out the words, even if I just write random nonsense that I can fix up later.

I say if you need research, go and do it. Don't worry about what might or might not happen if you might see someone. As for the quality concerns, I've kinda had the same concerns, but if it helps at all so does Neil Gaiman. Just keep writing and the rest will sort itself out in time.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2013, 01:58:37 pm »

Neil Gaiman always has all the answers. That man is not only my very favorite author of all time, he's also my primary source of inspiration. If not for his words, I don't think I would have bothered to start this. I certainly wouldn't have the drive to keep going.

I am, as he says, putting one word after another today. If I do take a trip to that village, I won't just be saying my research is important. I'll be saying my research for some small details in a novel is so important to me that I'm willing to risk throwing a very large monkey wrench into several long-term personal relationships in order to get it. And the funny thing is, I think that is actually true.

I should just have this video playing on a loop in the background whenever I'm writing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drMuQqLLEe0
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:01:42 pm by Sappho »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2013, 02:05:12 pm »

Even if you don't like Gaiman's actual work, he's a marvel just as a source of writing inspiration. It's always deceptively simple, too.

1602 words today, so far. It's actually above my 'this is what you need to finish on time', which is around the 1400s, but I'm gonna aim for around 3000 on most days.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #244 on: November 04, 2013, 02:50:58 pm »

Two green bars! I got up to exactly 7000 words. Now to put on a movie and relax at last.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 04, 2013, 03:06:41 pm »

Two green bars! I got up to exactly 7000 words. Now to put on a movie and relax at last.

One-seventh done after one-seventh of the month.  You have to maintain that just to finish, and I haven't even started yet.  Sure, 2000 a day from this point.  I can probably do three thousand a day for a week or two, but I think I've already blown it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 04, 2013, 04:10:12 pm »

Keeping up to par, aww yea.

I'm rapidly running out of plot, though. May have to slow down to consider where I'm actually going with this. :(

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 04, 2013, 04:28:35 pm »

I'm rapidly running out of plot, though. May have to slow down to consider where I'm actually going with this. :(

Don't take this the wrong way, but...

Whut. ??? What's your word count that you're running out of plot on Day 4? Either you've written a whole lot fast, or you really do need to pace your scenes more. I'm only now starting my fourth chapter, and I haven't even kicked my plot into full gear yet. It's barely shifted into second gear, really. I'm so ready to get to the meaty parts of my story.

You can do it though! Remember, even attempting NaNoWriMo means...

Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #248 on: November 04, 2013, 04:52:36 pm »

Yeah, I'm still filling in the background of my story before I get into the real adventure part. Getting right up to the edge now, though. Major plot point coming up tomorrow, I think.

Also, I'm pretty sure this book is gonna need to be more than 50,000 words long, though I'll be happy if I make that word count at the end of the month.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 04, 2013, 05:05:58 pm »

Don't take this the wrong way, but...

Whut. ??? What's your word count that you're running out of plot on Day 4? Either you've written a whole lot fast, or you really do need to pace your scenes more. I'm only now starting my fourth chapter, and I haven't even kicked my plot into full gear yet. It's barely shifted into second gear, really. I'm so ready to get to the meaty parts of my story.

I didn't really come up with much of a plan. More of a spur of the moment idea. I have a vague idea of a few things that'll happen, but no clue on the ending or all of the scenes that'll take me to those places. :P

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 04, 2013, 08:48:42 pm »

I have the frame of a character-motivation plot in mind.  I'm making up the background and the characters as I go.  There's only five distinct personalities yet and only the antagonist has a name.  I'm debating whether the protagonist should have one at all.

500 hundred words in 45 minutes, 25 days left in the month.  If this is any kind of benchmark, I'll need to devote an average of four hours a day to have a hope of reaching the minimum word count.

Guess I'm not having any other projects this month.

EDIT: Goddammit, Jefmajor just posted fourteen hours of himself playing Kerbal Space Program, I shouldn't even have looked.  I need that kind of dedication, not distraction!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:51:29 pm by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 04, 2013, 08:52:00 pm »

Alright, got my main character out of the house, he finds a hobo digging through the trash. I think I'm getting somewhere. At about 600 words...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 04, 2013, 10:23:36 pm »

526 words, but I have a solid idea now.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 05, 2013, 01:45:20 am »

I actually started my story with the phrase "Once upon a time".  I already done goofed.

Sure it's supposed to be ironic, but damn Aq, what is wrong with you?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 05, 2013, 02:01:04 am »

6400 words and my primary antagonist arrives. I need to pick up my pace, but today was a good day.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32