Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 41851 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Begins!
« Reply #255 on: November 05, 2013, 02:14:52 am »

I'm trying to figure out if I should neglect planning my lessons to get some writing done this morning, or leave it and have to finish it after work when I'm completely exhausted.

Probably both, I guess.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 05, 2013, 12:16:55 pm »

Arghgjhghggh I don't know where I'm going with this story at all.

Idea prompts pls. :(

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 05, 2013, 01:05:54 pm »

Idea prompts pls. :(

Main character runs into a setting-appropriate minor antagonist - literally. Whatever horrible thing happens as a result to your poor protagonist depends on the setting, and the antagonist you dream up! Go for it! :P

On my end, I breached the 10k mark today, with a daily word count of 2292! It feels good to be over an entire day ahead. If I keep up this average word count (around 2k) I'll reach 60k by the end of November. I may just make that my secondary objective. :D

I've found that getting to bed by midnight, waking up at 8 and spending thirty minutes or so on breakfast and a chapter or two of the book I'm reading helps a lot. I then write for ~4 hours. I take breaks every 60 - 90 minutes; sometimes its just a stretch, other times it's 15 minutes of reading time, but it helps break up the monotony, especially when I get stuck.

I think it also helps that I reward myself with ice cream once I finish up for the day, with the threat of no ice cream if I don't reach the minimum daily goal. I've hit more than the minimum each day, so I think it's working.  :P
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:17:24 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 05, 2013, 02:26:43 pm »

+1 to taking small regular breaks. I've found that once I finish a particularly long exchange or scene, if i take about 10 minutes to do something else like walking around, refilling a beverage, or playing audiosurf while my mind works through what's coming up, diving back in becomes much easier. If I sit there consistently for long stretches I run out of steam faster and stall for words more often.

Personal preference, of course, but it might be worth a try.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 05, 2013, 02:37:08 pm »

0 today. Feeling mentally dead :/
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #260 on: November 05, 2013, 03:10:34 pm »

Haven't written a single word today and it's already past 9 pm. Morning was eaten by the Sudden Unexpected Attack of Depression Monster. Couldn't even get up off the couch, didn't eat anything. Managed to get myself to work and felt better when I finished, but still completely drained.

I'm torn now. If I force myself to get my word count done, I'll be up far too late. I have a long work day tomorrow and I'll have to do at least part of my writing in the morning or I'll fall behind. On the other hand, if I don't do it, I'll be up half the night torturing myself for not having done it. And if I let myself get away with not writing for one day, it will surely happen again and again until I completely give up.

I suppose I could just type up some absolute nonsense, just to get something down on paper, and change or fix it later when I'm under less pressure. Maybe that would be best.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 05, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »

November 5:
Today I discovered cappuccino in the dining hall. Today I had a lot of cappuccino in the dining hall. Today I decided to write more in the dining hall.

Seriously though, writing in restaurants and the like is cliched but good. Take breaks by talking to people; they're likely to provide more inspiration than rehashing video games. Of course, depends on what kind of break you're going for.

Take all of my advice with salt; I'm 6232 words behind. I'm still having fun with it though.

@Sappho: Don't write all of the words for today, just go for half or a quarter.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 05, 2013, 03:23:44 pm »

A substandard score of 1123 words today. I'm still well ahead, fortunately. Uninspiring segment to labor through, but I should be finishing with this part of the story soon, and then I can explore new, uncharted waters with my second plotline.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #263 on: November 05, 2013, 03:33:31 pm »

480 words so far. I suppose I might make it as long as I don't let myself worry too much about getting the details right. I just came out with a very funny moment that actually made me laugh out loud. Laughing at your own jokes is good motivation. I'm going to get my minimum done after all. Two green bars. Even if it does keep me up late. Better to do it while I can rather than wait until tomorrow and discover I'm too depressed again.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 05, 2013, 03:57:26 pm »

480 words so far. I suppose I might make it as long as I don't let myself worry too much about getting the details right. I just came out with a very funny moment that actually made me laugh out loud. Laughing at your own jokes is good motivation. I'm going to get my minimum done after all. Two green bars. Even if it does keep me up late. Better to do it while I can rather than wait until tomorrow and discover I'm too depressed again.

Don't give up! The hardest part is making yourself just sit down and do it. I struggle with depression as well, and trudging on despite that is one of the hardest things to do, I know. Good to see that you're finding the motivation to keep on keepin' on! Satisfaction of accomplishing something is sweet, sweet ambrosia. It's well worth the effort.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #265 on: November 05, 2013, 04:00:28 pm »

Thank you for the encouraging words and meme, inequality! That kid is very helpful. And I'm up to 915 words for today. Maybe I'll manage to get it done by 10.30 and get a reasonable amount of sleep.

Because it makes me happy, here is the joke that gave me my big push for the evening. It will probably only make sense to Europeans, but that's okay.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 05, 2013, 04:04:45 pm »

The hardest part of writing is sitting down with your hands ready on the keyboard.

I try to write for 10-15 mins then break. Word wars help a lot too to replace the "egads what bollocks am I writing?!!?" thoughts with the "AHHHHHHH! I'M WRITING TOO SLOWLY!!" thoughts.

There's word wars starting all the time on the nano forums. Give it a shot.

I reached par for today.... time for TV + snack binge. Yaya.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 05, 2013, 04:13:34 pm »

Hmmm... Don't we have an IRC channel for Wordwars?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 05, 2013, 04:21:45 pm »

We did last year, not sure if anyone has set one up for 2013.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #269 on: November 05, 2013, 04:29:23 pm »

TWO GREEN BARS. 1778 words. I guess all I needed was a good grandfatherly rant about the economy to pad it out for today.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 32