Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 41901 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2013, 04:13:51 pm »

So how worried should I be about historical accuracy in a novel featuring Romans in Space? Not aliens with a culture similar to the Romans, mind, but the actual Ancient Roman Empire in space.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2013, 04:33:34 pm »

The problem there is that I'm thinking too much about the secret organization, and I have no idea which story about it to tell. (And, because it'll be the first story I concretely set down about it, it would also irreversibly shape how future stories with that organization involved turn out. No pressure.)
Just think about them doing normal stuff and what would happen from there. That's generally the smoothest transition for new readers.

If there's something about the story that you'd prefer went a different way, or didn't happen at all, just change it later. Continuity is overrated.

So how worried should I be about historical accuracy in a novel featuring Romans in Space? Not aliens with a culture similar to the Romans, mind, but the actual Ancient Roman Empire in space.
Not at all, because the ancient Roman Empire could never have been In Space in its exact form?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2013, 04:34:24 pm »

I'm about 95% sure it has already been done. Not just the legion mentioned in passing in The Excalibur Alternative, either. That's the nice part about using historical entities in Alt-Hist/future settings: you can play with their cultural norms and artifacts all you want while handwaving the mistakes as intentional changes. You can call your beamswords gladii and nobody will bat an eye. :P

____
I've got a novel idea for a novel and a few ideas for novel-length fanfics, but I've got a ton of papers due midway through November, so between that and my inherent laziness I'm not sure how much will get written.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2013, 04:38:05 pm »

The easy way out we be to say: towards the end of the Roman Empire, there was the original Western Empire, the Eastern Empire, and a Spacebound Empire. Then any inaccuracies can be chalked up to "it's a different sect of the empire" :P

The problem there is that I'm thinking too much about the secret organization, and I have no idea which story about it to tell. (And, because it'll be the first story I concretely set down about it, it would also irreversibly shape how future stories with that organization involved turn out. No pressure.)
Just think about them doing normal stuff and what would happen from there. That's generally the smoothest transition for new readers.

If there's something about the story that you'd prefer went a different way, or didn't happen at all, just change it later. Continuity is overrated.
After all, Douglas Adams transitioned from "dead in space" to "miraculous rescue". :) I'll be sure to take that "normal stuff and see what happens" advice into account when sorting out my idea center later.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2013, 04:40:19 pm »

I'm about 95% sure it has already been done. Not just the legion mentioned in passing in The Excalibur Alternative, either. That's the nice part about using historical entities in Alt-Hist/future settings: you can play with their cultural norms and artifacts all you want while handwaving the mistakes as intentional changes. You can call your beamswords gladii and nobody will bat an eye. :P
Really? Damn, I was afraid of that but I guess I shouldn't be overly-surprised. Oh well, its still the best idea I have at the moment :P
No beamswords, but similar uniforms for the soldiers and similar army organization. Probably the biggest difference will be that soldiers are enlisted and equipped by the government rather than doing the historical thing and providing their own.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2013, 04:53:26 pm »

No beamswords, but similar uniforms for the soldiers and similar army organization. Probably the biggest difference will be that soldiers are enlisted and equipped by the government rather than doing the historical thing and providing their own.

In that case I'd try to be as accurate as possible to add in as much background flavour as possible. And if you have to make up ranks/info (I doubt that the Roman army was well organized for space combat) then try to fit them into the existing structure as much as possible. Alternatively introduce some Marian-like reforms into the backstory and completely restructure the army organization/structure while keeping some of the old names for the ranks. I could easily see both methods working well.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2013, 05:01:16 pm »

Really? Damn, I was afraid of that but I guess I shouldn't be overly-surprised. Oh well, its still the best idea I have at the moment :P
Oh, no worries. It's more than fresh enough to work. Now, if you were writing yet another "zomg zombies" novel...

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2013, 05:08:36 pm »

I am actually doing some research, mostly in regards to how ranks were named in the olden days and how things were organized. I'm shooting for a sort of Gaunt's Ghosts style of novel: come for the gritty ground combat, stay for the interactions between all these different characters from the lowest grunt to the overall commander.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2013, 05:17:02 pm »

So, a George RR Martin kind of thing?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2013, 05:50:24 pm »

I'd like to see a Mali Space Empire, or at least an Arabic Space Empire.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2013, 05:56:49 pm »

I'd like to see a Mali Space Empire, or at least an Arabic Space Empire.
Would have been my second option, but they aren't as instantly identifiable as the Roman Legionnaires and I don't know as much about them.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2013, 08:30:18 pm »

Due to the past 4 years of failure, I'll try to scale my novel ambitions into something more manageable. My story idea is either a superhero with slime powers or a prophesied demon lord evading various prophesied heroes.

I'm not really sure where to go with the first one but the demon lord idea can be episodic with various "Hero of the week" showing up.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2013, 09:37:36 pm »

Hm, I think I'm going to end up writing about a colonial systems engineer on a planet where the climate alternates between temperate and 'snow and ice, lots of snow and ice everywhere'. The thing is, these drastic climate shifts happen only ever so often - a decade or more, earth-time. So the current engineer has never actually experienced firsthand one of the fabled 'deep freezes' before and, though he is well trained, he is completely unprepared for just how hellish the planet becomes in just a manner of weeks.

The main things I have to consider are: how have local fauna and flora adapted to such extremes (if they exist at all in any significant way), what natural resources have drawn colonists to the planet, how the planet can actually experience such extremes in such a short of time ('seasons' changing within a matter of days), what problems erupt, and how issues are dealt with especially once the extreme deep freeze settles in.

I think it'll be an interesting situation to explore. :D
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2013, 09:41:57 pm »

*shrug* everything's been done before (the one I have in mind was a series about space rome vs every hitler from every universe where the nazis won. I forget the name). Don't worry about it, because you won't find an original idea that makes any kind of sense. Do what you wish, as accurate or not as you wish. Pedants will complain regardless; what matters is telling the story you want to tell the way you want to tell it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2013, 12:38:45 am »

For what it's worth, here's a brief explanation of some of the more esoteric worldbuilding behind the main novel idea I'm working on in the background:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32