New materials.
- 9 (15.8%)
The language file.
- 9 (15.8%)
New creatures.
- 21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: Norse Fortress Mod  (Read 40782 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Norse Fortress Mod
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2013, 03:48:02 pm »

I'm not sure what I would do about a material that itemsyndromes people to berserkers. I like the idea, and I've considered making it a temporary syndrome gained by eating a slow growing crop (I remember reading that some berserkers were meant to partake of hallucinogenics to 'rage') but there's no way to stop that being randomly munched by non-combatants. I could put in a reaction to make wolf pelts into a special kind of leather that grants the raging ability, but that just means hunting wolves when available becomes a big thing while berserkers become rare in embarks without wolves. Perhaps I could make a reaction that requires some stuff made by the dokalfr to complete it.

I wasn't suggesting regular wolves as much as some kind of rare solitary monster wolf/bear that lives forever. Perhaps something like large predatory animals that have been touched by a dead dragon's blood, making them crazy predatory monsters. Kill 'em, skin 'em, get pelts that pass on some of that dragon blood power. Could also be that the pelts have weaker benefits than direct dragon blood, but you can take them from your dead for further use.

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear "monster wolf" is Garmr, but he's a hound, not a wolf, IIRC.

Off the top of my head, the only other wolves in Norse mythology that I know of would be Fenrir and his brood, Hati and Skoll.

Searches for Norse bears in Google just redirect me to either berserkers or were-bears.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2013, 04:00:02 pm »

When I have the time I'll either make a semi-megabeast wolf with magic pelts or make a complicated reaction involving rare materials that makes berserker pelts. Although were-wolves and were-bears might be fun since I'm doing myth stuff anyway.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2013, 07:25:41 am »

I'm not sure what I would do about a material that itemsyndromes people to berserkers. I like the idea, and I've considered making it a temporary syndrome gained by eating a slow growing crop (I remember reading that some berserkers were meant to partake of hallucinogenics to 'rage') but there's no way to stop that being randomly munched by non-combatants. I could put in a reaction to make wolf pelts into a special kind of leather that grants the raging ability, but that just means hunting wolves when available becomes a big thing while berserkers become rare in embarks without wolves. Perhaps I could make a reaction that requires some stuff made by the dokalfr to complete it.

I wasn't suggesting regular wolves as much as some kind of rare solitary monster wolf/bear that lives forever. Perhaps something like large predatory animals that have been touched by a dead dragon's blood, making them crazy predatory monsters. Kill 'em, skin 'em, get pelts that pass on some of that dragon blood power. Could also be that the pelts have weaker benefits than direct dragon blood, but you can take them from your dead for further use.

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear "monster wolf" is Garmr, but he's a hound, not a wolf, IIRC.

Off the top of my head, the only other wolves in Norse mythology that I know of would be Fenrir and his brood, Hati and Skoll.

Searches for Norse bears in Google just redirect me to either berserkers or were-bears.
It's the way dragon blood works in the mod that makes me suggest this method. In stories and mythology, the point is often to make some kind of point, they use dragons and dragon blood and all that as metaphors. Creating a large fantasy world where heroes run around at random to kill monsters isn't really the intention behind them, but since that that is (part of) the intention behind DF, you can add stuff like that without ruining any metaphors. As I see it, the very literal existence of dragons almost invites the invention of further ways for their magic properties to influence the world around them, since they're part of a larger more living world than they are in cautionary tales and the like. So who else could come in contact with dragon blood? Scavengers, who eat the meat and blood and everything else left on a carcass. So I guess the specific kind of scavenger doesn't matter, could be big cats, birds, swarms of dragon flies (heh), rats, I just suggested wolves and bears because they're closer to Norse fauna and have a pelt that can be worn. I can't really imagine playing Norsemen in hotter biomes, see.
Edit again: Or you were talking about what to name them and not about the thematic legitimacy.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 07:34:14 am by coldmonkey »
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2013, 08:31:32 am »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2013, 03:10:43 am »

I've taken a bit of time out from studying to check out options to fix the language problem. Sadly Faroese has the same problem as Norse, they lack equivalents for certain words in the DF language files so they get blanks when the word would be used. I've decided that to get around this problem I'll use either Norwegian or Swedish since they're ultimately derived from Old Norse but should have no missing words.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2013, 04:25:22 am »

THis looks... Awesome. PTW.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2013, 02:47:15 pm »

I've had a bit of time to think about this now that I'm 2/3rds done with my exams, and I think that the next stuff I make will be a semi-megabeast based on fenrirs young, and a megabeast base  on Jormungandr. After that I'll work out something to give the dokalfr.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2013, 10:04:33 am »

I'm going to start working on Norsemen sprite tiles for this mod.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2013, 06:38:45 am »

I'm going to start working on Norsemen sprite tiles for this mod.

If you do then I'll be very grateful, it's a tad hard to tell them apart during testing when each is just a coloured V running around.  :)

I'll be getting back to work on this after my last exam (which is on tuesday) for those who're keeping an eye on this. There should be a new version out in about a week.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2013, 11:47:07 am »

I think I will use a variation of the dwarf I based the Dorf Noggins tiles on.

Example Norseman:

Aydrean

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2013, 06:17:11 am »

Like this mod so far and looking forward to playing with the tileset if it gets completed.
For me DF is unplayable with the standard graphics, and the Vs were really annoying. Other than that, good work on the mod so far.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2013, 11:37:19 am »

Example Norseman:

Please no horns.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2013, 11:37:27 pm »

Example Norseman:

Please no horns.

why, cause it is not historically accurate in the least?

don't worry, the normal civilians won't have horns

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2013, 11:44:56 am »

I think I remember reading about a winged helm found in a norse tomb once, the assumption was that it was for ritual purposes. Wings might be a good helmet design for nobles.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2013, 01:43:01 pm »

I think I remember reading about a winged helm found in a norse tomb once, the assumption was that it was for ritual purposes. Wings might be a good helmet design for nobles.
Wasn't that for females though since Valkyries were known to fly?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16