New materials.
- 9 (15.8%)
The language file.
- 9 (15.8%)
New creatures.
- 21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Norse Fortress Mod  (Read 40761 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Norse Fortress Mod
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2013, 04:26:30 pm »

I think I remember reading about a winged helm found in a norse tomb once, the assumption was that it was for ritual purposes. Wings might be a good helmet design for nobles.
Wasn't that for females though since Valkyries were known to fly?

Pretty sure it was found in a mans tomb.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2013, 12:51:02 pm »

Winged helmet for champions/military officers?

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 20, 2013, 02:00:40 pm »

Haven't been able to draw a whole lot of sprites so far, holiday season has been pretty busy.

Got a few samples for you, let me know what you think

Digger:     
Farmer:     
Stoneworker:     
Brewer:     
Carpenter:     
Fisherman:     
Metalworker:     
Axeman:     

Winged helmets are hard to figure out how to represent.

Do these look to dwarf-like?  They are based on a dwarf tile I modified, though I made the Norseman taller and a little more slender.  Maybe its just me that keeps seeing dwarfs.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:08:29 pm by Wannabehero »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2013, 03:53:45 pm »

I tihnk the metalworker should have a small hammer but thats just me. And the capenter looks epic cause at first I tohguht he was holding a chainsaw :P

Looks excellent otherwise!
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2013, 04:41:54 pm »

Thanks highmax!

Here is a metalworker with hammer.

Blacksmith:     

And here is a mason without a boulder.

Mason:     
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:49:57 pm by Wannabehero »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2013, 09:25:39 pm »

Thanks highmax!

Here is a metalworker with hammer.

Blacksmith:     

And here is a mason without a boulder.

Mason:     
Ok, now THAT looks damn impressive!

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2013, 05:50:46 pm »

Indeed, those are very good work. :)

I've been held up a bit from doing work on the mod, but I'm going to do some work on it tonight.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2013, 11:28:49 pm »

wow this looks really interesting
posting to watch.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2013, 01:25:51 pm »

Did a bit of work on some megabeasts. Made one based on Jormungandr and one based on Fenrir.

The Jormundr
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The wolf
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Based on arena tests the Jormundr can easily kill armoured humans, it's sheer size and the increased contact area + pen of it's bite makes it able to easily tear apart even steel armoured humans. Not the most realistic beast, but then it's a snake that was the child of a giant who had been adopted by gods, so realism was never really the point. The wolf was given a bit of an easier task since it's just a semi-megabeast, I compared it to a giant. It wins the fight, though it isn't easy. I might fiddle with it's stats after I've done a few more mundane things. The dwarves still need more creatures to trade and items to make after all.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:31:53 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2013, 11:15:15 am »

Right I've done a bit of research on stuff from Scandinavian folklore to use and I think I've found a few options.

Maras: An all female race of werewolves, created through a rather weird process that I'll gloss over for simplicity, will probably use as a night creature/semi-megabeast.

Witches: I'll try going through the spellbook and see if I can find anything that would let me represent witches properly. Might use them as a necromancer variant or something.

Mermaids: Though these are in vanilla I feel I could make them a bit more... Fun.

Nokken: Water spirits that drown men and eat them, supposed to be able to shift between man and horse shape. I'll probably just use them as aquatic horses that hate people.

So far that's all I can find other than things like house-spirits and trolls, the former of which I can't really represent and the latter I've already done, and draugr, which are either dead warriors who died of a broken neck and were not called to Valhalla, or drowned sailors depending on the source. While the former would be fun since they can make more of their kind by breaking humans necks, are immensely strong, cannot be harmed by most methods and can swim through the ground I'm not sure how I could represent them.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2013, 11:32:59 am »

I dunno why, but I think the world serpent should start in ocean biomes and be amphibious.

I think the dragur would do nicely and keep everyone on their toes, but it spurs up the question; do we want to make it more challenging or fun? The Jotun keep us on our toes already, but the possible tameable Jotun balance that a bit. The mega beast are supposed to be ridiculously strong, so that's fine. I think replacing the necromancers with witches is a great idea.

But dragur? Hmmm... I think I have a kind of idea to help, but it won't really be accurate... Maybe changing the RAWs of ghosts to make them killable and it removes the original body would work. And having them armed would keep everyone on their toes. But that's how we COULD put it in, but you're the mod maker, so it's all up to you

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2013, 01:29:06 am »

Absolutely replace warlocks with witches, that is an excellent idea.

Big fan of dragur also.  You could create a global interaction to raise dead as dragur, or replace the evil biome animate interactions to create dragur instead.

Graphics update:

Haven't completed the tile sheet completely yet, but managed to make some progress.  Won't spell everything out now, but here is the work-in-progress tilesheet including not-to-be included objects there to work from.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2013, 01:47:52 am »

Big fan of dragur also.  You could create a global interaction to raise dead as dragur, or replace the evil biome animate interactions to create dragur instead.

Graphics update:

Haven't completed the tile sheet completely yet, but managed to make some progress.  Won't spell everything out now, but here is the work-in-progress tilesheet including not-to-be included objects there to work from.

Are the ones with thieve's masks and bags thieves and baby snatchers?

I thoguht we were using elves...?

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 30, 2013, 10:15:08 am »

Are the ones with thieve's masks and bags thieves and baby snatchers?

I thoguht we were using elves...?

Just because there is a tile for it doesn't mean it will be used.  Those are the thief and master thief tiles.  Don't need to be used, but could possibly be used in another mod.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 30, 2013, 11:29:46 am »

I dunno why, but I think the world serpent should start in ocean biomes and be amphibious.

It sort of should, but since it has lairs anyway it'd just move to land and this way it can be found by adventurer's. That and Jormungandr wasn't in the sea by choice.  When a god throws you into the sea as a child to keep you from being a nuisance you probably wind up hating the water. :)

Graphics update:

Those are very nice. Bristling with beards and spikes of viking.

Draugr will either be generic undead or be a modified necromancer type along with witches.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16