New materials.
- 9 (15.8%)
The language file.
- 9 (15.8%)
New creatures.
- 21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Norse Fortress Mod  (Read 40662 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Norse Fortress Mod
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 04:41:21 pm »

I'd rather avoid demi-gods. I plan to stick with a berserker caste that rages and has innate combat skills rather than anything over dramatic. I will be calling gods Aesir in the language though.

Deon I'll take a look at the language you've done. Thank you for the offer, it may have saved me hours of work.

The nobles are finished (for now).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Haven't tested them but they should work. All the names are taken from old norwegian ones. Something of a mishmash of them to be honest but I don't have the patience to spend hours looking through fragmented and contradictory sources to get perfect ones. I'll listen to suggestions if anyone has some.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 04:44:07 pm »

20 berserkers along with one particularly angry berserker leading them.

I feel fear of them.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 04:49:31 pm »

Because of how squads work it's 19 berserkers + champion. It's also why the huskarl squads the nobles get are numbered the way they are.

EDIT: Right, I've checked Deon's Genesis mod for his Nords language and I have to say I do like the look of it for our purposes. Deon if you're willing to let us take advantage of the work you put into that you'll have my sincerest gratitude.

Would anyone like to take a crack at making weapons for the Norse? My research indicates a short spear, a short broad sword, handaxes and a variant on pikes/halberds were their weapons of choice.

Also here are the ethics I've written up:

Not hugely different from those of normal humans but I'm basing them on what I can remember of various books and accounts that told of viking society.

Right, I've bashed out some simple weapon variants based on the weapons I can find out about.

In addition to these we'll be using short swords, bows and maces. I intend to make the norse sword only be attainable through a custom reaction.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:32:24 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 07:16:00 pm »

I'd say add saxon longbows for normal humans if they're in there, but that's me.

Don't forget to add a shield called Skjolldir. They're pretty much runed shields
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 07:33:16 pm »

I've put in roundshields. I looked up skjolldir but all I can find is that skjǫldr is the old norse word for shield.

Not sure how to distinguish between longbows and normal bows considering how bows work at the moment.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 08:46:17 pm »

I realized I spelled it wrong :-[

Also, Hjalmr is the term for the helmet caps as it shows here, but I think the entire thing is called so... Could be wrong...

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 09:36:54 pm »

Fixed some values, in some points you were weaker than vanilla weapons, and others ridiculously overpowered.  Fixed discrepancies and balanced them slightly, take a gander and tell me if you see something you hate.

Changed the axe a bit, it was barely bigger than a dagger when it's supposed to be a rather large axe.  Made it slightly larger than the ulfberht, tempted to make it larger.

Ulfberht had a few weird numbers, fixed those.  Added the two attacks with the axe, can probably rework the contact area on the axe hack, if it's the same sort of Dane Axe we're thinking of.  Heavier spear, made it less dorf sized and more human sized.  Just yell at me if you see something you don't like.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 10:49:41 pm »

Just looked up the Dane Axe... And then bearded axe which it resembles apparently... Oh god, these area some nice looking weapons...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 02:23:33 am »

btw AFAIK unit sizes are on a normal model in comparison to their average, so 67% of dwarves are between 57200 and 62400 in body size; 97% are between 54100 and 66100, so most dwarves can handle that axe.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 07:09:51 am »

I took out slapping and pommel bashing from the axe because it seemed a rather stupid way to wield them. Though the top point of a dane axes blade could be used for stabbing apparently so that's an adjustment we can make.

The pictures of the swords I saw looked somewhat short but not very so I think you've given them a good adjustment.

I have to confess I did the weapons at 1:30 in the morning having gotten up at 6:40 that day for a fire alarm so I wasn't at my best.

EDIT: I remember now why I made the weapons like I did, I decided to work on the assumption that we wouldn't make shafts and hafts out of metal and that it was best represented by reducing size and material costs.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:32:46 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

MiguelMO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 09:41:48 am »

I have some suggestions to the mod:

-About the nobles, I think they should be all appointed by election (I don't know if that is possible, I don't know much about modding). In the viking age there was an assembly called Thing, where free men elected their nobles (konungr, jarl, hesir...)  within the most capables ones in the civilization, fortress, territory. Here is more information from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thing_%28assembly%29

-About the language I'd like it to be Icelandic or Faroese (Old norse would be quite hard). If there would be someone who could do this, it would be awesome. Another possibilities could be modern Danish, Swedish or Norwegian, but it wouldn't be the same. I don't find appropiate to have Finnish language for the norse people, as Deon suggests.

Greetings and sorry for my bad English!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 09:54:13 am »

That may work for the noncombat nobles but things like the guy leading our warriors... That wouldn't really be practical from a gameplay standpoint as that may lead to incompetent fucks who don't know which end of a sword to hold being elected to lead the troops because she/he has the most friends.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 10:14:43 am »

My personal preference for language is Norwegian.

The problem with elected nobles if that they get elected each year and all elected positions get elected at once. We'd almost certainly wind up with one person serving in every elected noble position, and since we're using military nobility that would make it be self conflicting and probably crash the game.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

MiguelMO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 10:29:01 am »

Ok that's why I said that I didn't know how DF modding works. It's fine then how you did the nobles.

Greetings!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 10:39:21 am »

It was a nice suggestion but the way nobles work is a bit simple at the moment so we can't get overly complex.

I've found an English - Old Norse dictionary online so I think I'll try and use that for the language file. It may take a while.

I'm thinking I'll make the mail shirt cover more than it does in vanilla to counter the lack of certain bits of armour. I'd like to put in lamellar armour but I don't know enough about it's qualities to represent it properly.

EDIT: So may duplicate words in this language, 6 words for brave alone.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:58:29 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16