New materials.
- 9 (15.8%)
The language file.
- 9 (15.8%)
New creatures.
- 21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Norse Fortress Mod  (Read 40355 times)

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Norse Fortress Mod
« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2014, 09:58:44 am »

In Adventure Mode, the Ljosalfr have 4000 speed, is that intentional?
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2014, 10:40:50 am »

In Adventure Mode, the Ljosalfr have 4000 speed, is that intentional?

It's more of a byproduct of them being designed for fortress mode enemies. I never intended them to be used as adventurers, so I mostly aimed at making them dangerous in fortress mode as invaders and snatchers. From arena tests I remember armour slows them down massively, and they're quite fragile so speed is their strength, getting in several hits before they can be struck.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2014, 05:25:36 pm »

Glad you guys like the sprites  :D

Grim, A speed of 4000 will make them slower, not faster.

Speed 4000 should make them

(1000 / [(4000)+100]) = .2439  --->  24.4% the speed of normal creatures, or about one quarter the normal rate.

For 4x speed, you want SPEED:150

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2014, 05:53:52 pm »

:P

The speed they have in the RAWs is low, he meant that when he made an adventurer it moved at speed 4000, while vanilla adventurers, and by extension dokalfr and norsemen move closer to 1300 most of the time. I don't know why they display speed in the RAWs and adventure mode differently from one another, just one of those oddities.

EDIT: Their current RAW speed is 300.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 05:55:51 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2014, 05:59:05 pm »

They're pretty much inverses. [SPEED:0] makes 10000 speed in adventure mode.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2014, 06:27:48 pm »

According to the wiki it works as a turn delay counter, so normal creatures wait 900 ticks between actions, while Ljosalfr wait just 300 giving them three actions to other creatures one action. As I've seen in the arena (Haven't done a 'live' test yet, not properly anyway) this makes the Ljosalfr deadly opponents since they can seriously injure enemies before being in harms way, though one or two hits kills them easily due to them being 5x weaker to attacks.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2014, 09:23:30 pm »

Creatures actually normally take 10 ticks to take actions. "950" means "9 ticks with a 50% chance of 8 ticks".

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2014, 10:17:38 pm »

Creatures actually normally take 10 ticks to take actions. "950" means "9 ticks with a 50% chance of 8 ticks".

That makes more sense. I shouldn't have skimmed the wiki page.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 07, 2014, 10:13:12 am »

:-[  Learn something new everyday.  I had no idea adventure mode speed and fortress speed were opposite.

Thanks for hipping me to that!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2014, 10:21:29 am »

:-[  Learn something new everyday.  I had no idea adventure mode speed and fortress speed were opposite.

Thanks for hipping me to that!

It's not opposite as such, it's just that the speed in the RAWs translates to the speed used in adventure and fortress mode but it's not a direct translation. The unit speeds are done the same way, but in fortress mode we can't see the speed of a unit so we base our expectations on their RAW speed token, which determines how many ticks they need per action which in turn determines their movement speed.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2014, 12:22:32 am »

This is all pretty irrelevant with the combat/move speed split next version anyway.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2014, 07:33:32 pm »

I have made some weapons and armour for the alfr. Dokalfr will wear full plate items. They cannot make chainmail and will wield improved but heavier warhammers and battle axes. The Ljosalfr wear chain shirts and wield swords and spears, both modified to be lighter to keep their speed up. Interestingly a Ljosalfr beats a fully equipped Dokalfr in an arena fight.

Both races have been made large enough that norsemen can buy/loot their gear to wear as it's the only way for norsemen to get heavy armour other than moods. Though I would advise against using alfr armour on any but the most skilled of armour users as it weighs a lot more than vanilla armour.

I've also made dane axes larger and two handed since I noticed that all norsemen would be large enough to wield them in one hand, when the images I can see of their use depict them as being two handed weapons. I'll get the current version packaged up and on dffd soon.

Next up I'm going to try and come up with some metals for the alfr to use. Alfstal is my basic concept: a lighter version of steel, though I'm tempted to split it into two version: Ljostal and Dokstal, the former being lighter but slightly weaker, the latter being heavier but sharper.

EDIT: New version is up.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:00:11 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2014, 06:12:37 am »

For the brownie-like-creatures, you could make them vermin-catchers like vanilla cats, but with an invisible sprite that just issues "chimes of merry laughter" or something.  If you make them trapavoid and lever pullers, the whole mischievous quality might also work.  Did the the Norse version require bowls of milk in payment as well?  (That would give the buckets of milk standing around some validity.)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:06 am »

The tomte was supposed to be given a bowl of porridge on christmas in post-christian folklore, though from what I can find they were possibly given offerings in a similar fashion to the gods and spirits in pre-christian lore. The offerings to gods took the form of a ritual meal and an offering of animal blood sprinkled on their statues and idols so I guess the offering could be assumed to be the act of eating meals in a dining hall, though I have now got the idea of making a building that is made using figurines. Same basic purpose as statues really, though it would double as a way to show off artifacts.

If I do try to make them then vermin-gobbler might be more practical, as that would make them tidy up after cats, and I can look into interactions that clean up contaminants. I can make them an all male immortal sentient pet species that runs when threatened and can socialize with the norsemen. Though this would result in caged tomtes being brought by caravans.

EDIT: Found this nice little description of a sacred meal to honour the gods and dead. It comes from the works of the 12th century historian Snorri Sturluson.

It was an old custom, that when there was to be sacrifice all the bondis [freeholders] should come to the spot where the temple stood and bring with them all that they required while the festival of the sacrifice lasted. To this festival all the men brought ale with them; and all kinds of cattle, as well as horses, were slaughtered, and all the blood that came from them was called "hlaut", and the vessels in which it was collected were called hlaut-vessels. Hlaut-staves were made, like sprinkling brushes, with which the whole of the altars and the temple walls, both outside and inside, were sprinkled over, and also the people were sprinkled with the blood; but the flesh was boiled into savoury meat for those present. The fire was in the middle of the floor of the temple, and over it hung the kettles, and the full goblets were handed across the fire; and he who made the feast, and was a chief, blessed the full goblets, and all the meat of the sacrifice. And first Odin's goblet was emptied for victory and power to his king; thereafter, Niord's and Freyja's goblets for peace and a good season. Then it was the custom of many to empty the brage-goblet (1); and then the guests emptied a goblet to the memory of departed friends, called the remembrance goblet.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:38:20 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2014, 03:00:36 pm »

If you make them trapavoid and lever pullers, the whole mischievous quality might also work.

I can see this being an easy source of "My whole fort was just wiped out! Agh!"  Though it would add a really interesting quality to the mod.  Don't make things too elaborate and for all of it to come crashing down in one lever pull.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16