New materials.
- 9 (15.8%)
The language file.
- 9 (15.8%)
New creatures.
- 21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Norse Fortress Mod  (Read 40352 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Norse Fortress Mod
« on: October 21, 2013, 10:30:44 am »

I'm putting together a mod that attempts to simulate the Norse culture reasonably well in DF.

This is currently on hold while I prepare for my exams. The mod is back in progress.

Beta download: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8120
My plans for the moment:

1) Create the appropriate Nobles. Done
2) Give them historically accurate (more or less) weapons. Done
3) Try to approximate their ethics and laws. Done
4) Modify surface plants to be more suitable. Partly Done
5) Pillage and loot.
6) Create a language file for the Norse. I'll probably just use words from one of the countries in northern europe. Partly Done Set back to square one because of words missing from the chosen language.
7) Try to work out some appropriate unique buildings and reactions for them to have.
8 ) More items for the other races, armour, weapons instruments and toys.
9) Some materials, improved metals and unique wood types for example.

In addition to the Norse I have been working on several other races to exist alongside them. The focus has been on mythological races from Norse folklore. So far we have:

Jotunn: Giants, crude and slow. You can find some living in caverns as small tribes, others wandering like animals and the rest are a babysnatching civilization that wants to crush all of your works to dust.

Dokalfr: Dwarves, friendly and wise creatures from below the ground who come to trade items forged through their skills of craftsmanship and beasts of the deep places.

Ljosalfr: Elves, capricious and selfish, these beautiful creatures love music but lack the imagination to create their own, so they steal away humans to play for them. As settlements of Norsemen grow the Ljosalfr may become more brazen and seek to destroy what they cannot steal.

Dragons: Huge and terrible, these monsters can fly and breath streams of flame. It is said that those who bathe in their blood are blessed with a measure of their resilience.

Eldjotunn: Fire giants. Larger and better equipped than their more mundane kin, these giants immolate the land they walk upon and can emit searing flames.

I have also made a new underground tree, which is intended to replace all other underground trees for the mods purposes. Roots of Yggdrasil, the world tree can be found jutting from the ground deep below. The wood of these roots are prized for their luster and aura of vitality.

Any suggestions for other features would be welcome.

We also have a tileset for the norsemen now. Many thanks to Wannabehero for the hard work on it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:21:24 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Norse Fortress Mod
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 10:33:17 am »

I might be able to help with reactions and low-level creature work. Workshops and materials are another matter.
Since swords were an expensive and time consuming (compared to spears and axes) Might want to look into making them worth more.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 10:35:51 am »

That could be done either by making the smithing process more roundabout or by upping the material size.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:52:29 am »

Did some poking around for weapons. Bows are a must, as is of course the spear, and the axe. a separate wood splitting axe may also be permissible. They also had something akin to a glaive (the polearm not that weird throwing thing from Krull,) for some extra choppy leverage. large Seax...es? may also be called on as a hacking sword and as a somewhat cheaper alternative to more complex to produce but versatile swords.

The frost giants from a couple mods can be merged with the fort defense Jotun and something between them without the elemental stuff to form a proper race of them.

As far as plants go I have no idea what they relied on. I imagine hunting and fishing will be a major food source early on though.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 10:59:49 am »

At the moment I'm hashing out a basic noble structure for them. Using ancient Norway as the basis. Not done yet but this is what the nobles part looks like for now. Going to do some duty realocations.

EDIT: changed the nobles to the current ones. These should maintain all functions needed to run a civ properly and still be able to run a fort. Due to a lack of suitable titles I haven't renamed the militia captain position yet, but everything else is pretty much done except for berserkers needing a caste restriction tag but that can wait till actual Norseman creature raws are made.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:09:35 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 11:23:26 am »

Would the size of humans change at all? They WERE considered giants even though they were only a foot taller at the most then most Europeans
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 11:25:30 am »

Maybe slightly larger than vanilla humans to reflect that but not much bigger.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 11:36:50 am »

Maybe slightly larger than vanilla humans to reflect that but not much bigger.
true

EDIT:
I just remembered! If you want words for the language, use either Farose. Its as close as you can get to the actual Nordic language without it being 100% Norse
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:54:10 am by highmax28 »

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 01:19:13 pm »

I have finnish language for nords in Genesis. Also, graphics.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 01:33:05 pm »

At the moment I'm hashing out a basic noble structure for them. Using ancient Norway as the basis. Not done yet but this is what the nobles part looks like for now. Going to do some duty realocations.

EDIT: changed the nobles to the current ones. These should maintain all functions needed to run a civ properly and still be able to run a fort. Due to a lack of suitable titles I haven't renamed the militia captain position yet, but everything else is pretty much done except for berserkers needing a caste restriction tag but that can wait till actual Norseman creature raws are made.

An interesting idea, if we're delving deeply into the mythology of the Norse, would be to either edit the Monarch, or create your own new noble, for a position of the Ęsir.  If you didn't want the game to arbitrarily assign someone to god-hood, you could make your own position that you elect people to.

Instead of a monarch being a Jarl, per se, you could make them into Odin-son.  A mayor could be the Jarl, Royal Guards could be thanes; my ideas are just if you want to make it more mystical than reality.

Also, I might be able to jumble together some raws to create a bunch of gods that would be liked and would show up in carvings.  However, you'd run the risk of seeing something around the lines of "This is an image of five The All-Fathers, they are traveling." 

And running the risk of being a ridiculously long post, you could take the human raws, copy/paste them (so we have all the parts of a regular human), and change the mass/names of everything.  You could make the mass 90,000, as opposed to the humans 75,000.  That'd make the Norse roughly as large to the humans as they are to the dwarves.   

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 02:05:45 pm »

I think deities or gods should be renamed to "Aesir" so it makes more sense for a realistic form. Because some Nordic people worship Thor more then others, and some worship Freja more then most gods (mostly women since she's like their patron goddess). But if we're going mystical, Odin-Son works just as well

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 02:17:28 pm »

I think deities or gods should be renamed to "Aesir" so it makes more sense for a realistic form. Because some Nordic people worship Thor more then others, and some worship Freja more then most gods (mostly women since she's like their patron goddess). But if we're going mystical, Odin-Son works just as well

I was actually debating putting Ęsir into my suggestion, but it came out Odin-son instead.  Odin-son just seemed easier, especially if you're going to have it automatically mark someone (thinking king here) for Ęsir.  It'd come out funny in the raws when you had 10-20 Ęsir die in a single war against goblins or something.

Odin-son gives them special meaning while being slightly more ambiguous.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 02:42:54 pm »

I was actually debating putting Ęsir into my suggestion, but it came out Odin-son instead.  Odin-son just seemed easier, especially if you're going to have it automatically mark someone (thinking king here) for Ęsir.  It'd come out funny in the raws when you had 10-20 Ęsir die in a single war against goblins or something.

Actually, some Aesir weren't Odin's sons, and some weren't even related, like Frej and Freja when they were taken in as hostages of war against the Vanir. They were kind of uplifted to Aesir status then

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 02:59:14 pm »

Actually, some Aesir weren't Odin's sons, and some weren't even related, like Frej and Freja when they were taken in as hostages of war against the Vanir. They were kind of uplifted to Aesir status then

Right, and I'm basically suggesting here that not all Odin-sons are Ęsir.  I'm kinda basing the suggestion off of the sentence " But silence on the matter does not indicate that other gods whose parentage is not mentioned in these works might not also be sons of Odin."

That translates to me that not all of Odin's sons are Ęsir, but the more prominent ones are.  They're all gods in their own rights, but only a few became Ęsir.

And if I'm butchering the entirety of Norse mythology with that, then uh.  Whoops, didn't mean to.

Odin-son could be used for someone claiming to be of godly descent, or ridiculously strong/adventurous.  Suddenly saying you're Ęsir would mean you're trying to impinge on God status.

Suddenly I don't know what I'm suggesting anymore, I'mma go mess with raws until I get a working Norse race or something.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 03:24:52 pm »

Odin-son could work if you change the name for adventurer from demi-god to that. And I recall some Aesir are Odin's brothers and their sons, but I might be wrong

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16