New materials.
- 9 (15.8%)
The language file.
- 9 (15.8%)
New creatures.
- 21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Norse Fortress Mod  (Read 40376 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Norse Fortress Mod
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2013, 11:49:47 am »

... Change husks and husk clouds so they create dragur?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2013, 12:42:10 pm »

Hmm, I could try that but I'm not certain how well it'd work or how many places would have clouds appear.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2013, 01:56:05 pm »

Hmm, I could try that but I'm not certain how well it'd work or how many places would have clouds appear.
The worst that can happen is you make them have a melee range necromancer attack that breaks their necks and turns them into dragur

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2013, 03:01:38 pm »

The worst that can happen is you make them have a melee range necromancer attack that breaks their necks and turns them into dragur

I think I tried that back in an earlier crude attempt at it, made necromancers that were stronger, melee inclined and had a touch range reanimation ability. Couldn't get it to work in the arena for testing though, and it never seemed to spawn in the world. I'll have to ask some of the more experienced modders who've made different necromancers and casters before.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2013, 03:27:47 pm »

Maras: An all female race of werewolves, created through a rather weird process that I'll gloss over for simplicity, will probably use as a night creature/semi-megabeast.
I've read that the Mara is a kind of spirit causing paralyzation, and that the same process that makes a female baby a Mara makes a male baby into a werewolf. Never heard about any all-female werewolves.
Nokken: Water spirits that drown men and eat them, supposed to be able to shift between man and horse shape. I'll probably just use them as aquatic horses that hate people.
Sounds like a mash-up between Nokken and Bäckahästen.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2013, 04:06:04 pm »

Maras: An all female race of werewolves, created through a rather weird process that I'll gloss over for simplicity, will probably use as a night creature/semi-megabeast.
I've read that the Mara is a kind of spirit causing paralyzation, and that the same process that makes a female baby a Mara makes a male baby into a werewolf. Never heard about any all-female werewolves.

I found some stuff referring to Mara as being spirits that caused nightmares, which is I think meant to be the origin of the word nightmare. Quite a common myth from Europe, as I recall the germans called it Alpdrucken and the English term is Hagridden. The one I'm using described Maras as being the daughters of women who had used a ritual of crawling through part of the membrane from a horse foals birth to avoid the pain of childbirth. All the sons of these women were shamans and the daughters were werebeasts with the heads of wolves. I'm using the latter because it's more Fun, though I may put nightmares in as well once I settle on a way to depict them.

Nokken: Water spirits that drown men and eat them, supposed to be able to shift between man and horse shape. I'll probably just use them as aquatic horses that hate people.
Sounds like a mash-up between Nokken and Bäckahästen.

Having now looked up the Bäckahästen it would seem that the source I was reading lumped them together under the category of Neck, or nyx and nixies. The Bäckahästen/bækhesten tricking people into riding it and then drowning them, and the näck/näkki/nøkk/nøkken/strömkarl/Grim/Fosse-Grim using music to lure people, women and children especially into water to drown them. The article did make me remember the Kelpie from my own country's old folktales. Basically the same as the Bäckahästen, and there are quite a few similar myths from the rest of Britain.

I could split them into different creatures, or just flip a coin and use one since they'd serve the same basic function.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2013, 10:58:58 pm »

Know what we need now? Sending units offscreen to do pillaging in longboats, cause then they gotta deal with all that !!FUN!! stuff you're modding in

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2013, 11:56:02 pm »

Hopefully most of it can be made to attack forts/villages.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2013, 12:04:04 am »

Hopefully most of it can be made to attack forts/villages.
Villages and hamlets seem a good target, but fortresses? Especially retired ones? If I recall, the viking raiders hated to use siege engines since they took so long and take up so much boat room, so they would target fortified places like castles less

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2013, 12:28:12 am »

As I recall they used battering rams since they could be made on site, but during that era there weren't a whole lot of things that couldn't be broken by eight warriors with a ram and enough time anyway.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2013, 12:29:49 am »

As I recall they used battering rams since they could be made on site, but during that era there weren't a whole lot of things that couldn't be broken by eight warriors with a ram and enough time anyway.
Eight hulking scandinavian raiders that is... And I think enough time is what, ten minutes? The guards may have been mobilized but so would the raiders :P

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2014, 10:34:16 pm »

Made a creature that's supposed to be a rough equivalent to the evil spirits that caused nightmares. Between the sizes of kobolds and gremlins, sneaky and able to pass through doors to suck the blood of sleeping norsemen leaving them weakened or dead.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bit of a lazy creation truth be told. Like most of my stuff it's the RAWs of something else, in this case a gremlin since it was about the right size and had a lot of the tags I wanted, with the alterations I think it needs. The name is more or less a placeholder until I can pick one from folklore. Tempted to put in house spirits, I can't remember the scandinavian term but the basic concept is common in Europe, the english equivalent was the Brownie I think. Little men that helped out with chores and things, though I have no clue how to do them justice. Maybe see if I can make a creature that cleans messes and so on with interactions.

EDIT: Doing a test of the new features stuff. Will add some unique items to the alfr once I'm done and then update the file depot once I've got things working. Having a few problems with the Maras.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 04:03:40 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2014, 05:07:30 pm »

I finished a first run of a tilesheet for your Norsemen

*LINK* http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8294 *LINK*

If you add/change noble positions, or want to reassign tiles for different jobs, have at it!  There are some extra sprites in there that aren't used currently, so could always assign them to new roles.

Here is a preview of the completed tilesheet.

Let me know if you want some of your megabeasts drawn too.  :D

Keep up the good work on the mod!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2014, 05:43:54 pm »

Omg... Those are beautiful...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2014, 09:49:00 am »

Very nice work.  :) Quite burly looking and of course, magnificent beards.

I'm going to start doing weapons and armour for the alfr. Both kinds of alf are going to be made man sized so that players can buy armour from the dokalfr and use it, weapons will be largely the same as normal ones, but with some minor differences.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16