New materials.
- 9 (15.8%)
The language file.
- 9 (15.8%)
New creatures.
- 21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Norse Fortress Mod  (Read 40357 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Norse Fortress Mod
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2014, 05:01:53 pm »

I think them cleaning everything up is a huge bonus, especially if dragon blood makes you almost invincible
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2014, 04:39:15 pm »

I was doing a little research into the Anglo-Saxons since they were recommended as a civ for this earlier on, by Highmax as I recall, and I was a little surprised at how few differences there were between their armour and weapons and those of the Norse. I shouldn't have been surprised of course as I've known that the Saxons were of nordic stock since I was a child, but I would have though the Angles would have had more of an influence on the weaponry.

In any case, their equipment consisted of multiple spear variants, more than I can be bothered with to be honest, hand axes, throwing axes, bows, spatha swords, various helmets and a small mail shirt, though the shirt was supposedly quite rare and expensive. Throwing axes can be implemented, though they'd be really clumsy things and serve no real use as they'd function the same way as bows at range. Everything else is doable though.

EDIT: Some more ideas: Nidhoggr dragons, cave dragons altered to be more like the norse dragon currently in the mod. Based on nidhoggr obviously, able to fly, breathe fire, antlers rather than horns as a depiction of nidhoggr I liked used antlers, not megabeasts since I don't know how that works with caverns. Would like it to have blood that does something other than grant nigh-invulnerability, not sure what though.

Heljotun: Either a civ or a megabeast, based on the undead giant that guarded Helheim and took the nails of the dead to build the ship of nails. Would serve as an undead corpse animating monster of prodigous size.

Fimbulwinter wolves: If we assume due to the giants marching against the humans in such numbers this mod could be placed somewhere around Ragnarok, then the Winter of Wolves seem a decent thing to include. Large wolves that attack in winter, maybe with some kind of worldwide weather effect that happens in winters.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:31:31 am by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2014, 11:47:39 am »

Sounds awesome. There's also Hraesvelgr, the corpse-eating giant eagle that creates wind. Some kind of wandering megaroc that eats and destroys corpses (as well as Norsemen)? A beneficial creature for fighting necromancy, less than beneficial if your own Norsemen happen to be outside.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2014, 01:26:30 pm »

I thought Nhiddog are the dead? And I always wondered how they got the nails for nagalfar...

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2014, 02:15:51 pm »

I thought Nhiddog are the dead? And I always wondered how they got the nails for nagalfar...

Nidhoggr was the dragon (sometimes serpent) that gnawed on the roots of the world tree, the squirrel (ratatoskr I think it was called) ferried insults between the dragon and the eagle that roosted in the upper branches of the tree.

EDIT: I'm considering changing the way berserkers work by rolling them into the normal norsemen and lowering the rage chance to 10 or 25, as is the berserkers are a bit odd military and hunter wise. When I've been testing them I've found they have a tendency to stand in place and waste time raging rather than doing their jobs. A flat chance for all norsemen to enter the berserker rage when fighting seems more workable to me. It also means I can scrap the berserker unit in the entity, which doesn't work properly anyway.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:44:05 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2014, 11:56:35 am »

I've done the nidhoggr dragon, between 1 and 5 will be found in the third cavern layer in future releases. They are sentient, can speak and don't have magic blood. They, much like their Fafnir themed friends, like shiny things.

I have also done the Nar-Jotunn, a megabeast with a bunch of tags to make it tough to kill. It does not bleed, it does not feel pain, it does not know fear etc. Named after the denizens of Hel. I may make a civ based on the same concept to serve as the army of the dead from Ragnarok.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2014, 01:56:23 pm »

I've done the nidhoggr dragon, between 1 and 5 will be found in the third cavern layer in future releases. They are sentient, can speak and don't have magic blood. They, much like their Fafnir themed friends, like shiny things.

I have also done the Nar-Jotunn, a megabeast with a bunch of tags to make it tough to kill. It does not bleed, it does not feel pain, it does not know fear etc. Named after the denizens of Hel. I may make a civ based on the same concept to serve as the army of the dead from Ragnarok.
Now I think all you need now is a strong hound megabeast that howls whenever you breach HFS. There should be a think where if you breach it, a carp ton of Jotunn show up on the above ground as well as what lies below

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2014, 05:19:39 pm »

Now I think all you need now is a strong hound megabeast that howls whenever you breach HFS. There should be a think where if you breach it, a carp ton of Jotunn show up on the above ground as well as what lies below

I wish I knew a way to key things off HFS releases, though Garmr could easily be a megabeast or semi-megabeast.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2014, 06:50:44 pm »

The alfr have their own steel variants, though I haven't tested them much, chances are they'll need a lot of tweaking. The colours are also a bit odd when I tested them, Ljosstal displayed as grey while Dokstal displayed as yellow.

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:STEEL_LIGHT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:ljosstal]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten ljosstal]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling ljosstal]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:240:234:214]
[BUILD_COLOR:240:234:214]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:35]
[SPEC_HEAT:500]
[MELTING_POINT:12718]
[BOILING_POINT:14968]
[ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED][ITEMS_AMMO][ITEMS_DIGGER][ITEMS_ARMOR][ITEMS_ANVIL]
[SOLID_DENSITY:5950]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:5280]
[MOLAR_MASS:32845]
[IMPACT_YIELD:1005000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:2520000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:940]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:1505000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:2520000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:940] 160
[TENSILE_YIELD:430000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:720000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:225] 200
[TORSION_YIELD:430000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:720000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:215]
[SHEAR_YIELD:280000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:720000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:215]
[BENDING_YIELD:430000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:720000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:215]
[MAX_EDGE:10000]
[ITEMS_HARD]
[ITEMS_METAL]
[ITEMS_BARRED]
[ITEMS_SCALED]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:PEARL]

[INORGANIC:STEEL_DARK]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:dokstal]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten dokstal]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling dokstal]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:54:69:79]
[BUILD_COLOR:54:69:79]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:35]
[SPEC_HEAT:500]
[MELTING_POINT:15718]
[BOILING_POINT:18968]
[ITEMS_WEAPON][ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED][ITEMS_AMMO][ITEMS_DIGGER][ITEMS_ARMOR][ITEMS_ANVIL]
[SOLID_DENSITY:8250]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:7480]
[MOLAR_MASS:62845]
[IMPACT_YIELD:1505000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:2520000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:940]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:1505000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:2520000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:940] 160
[TENSILE_YIELD:430000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:720000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:225] 200
[TORSION_YIELD:430000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:720000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:215]
[SHEAR_YIELD:470000]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:730000]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:245]
[BENDING_YIELD:430000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:720000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:215]
[MAX_EDGE:12500]
[ITEMS_HARD]
[ITEMS_METAL]
[ITEMS_BARRED]
[ITEMS_SCALED]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:CHARCOAL]
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2014, 07:10:19 am »

Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days
we mixed our blood together?
You said you would never drink ale
unless it were brought to both of us.

I have ideas for the best way to try and create the Nar as a civ, though I am uncertain how best to proceed with it. I want to represent Loki as he was the general of the army that sailed from Hel but I cannot decide how best to do so, I'm tempted to make a caste of nar that stands tall above mortal men, is skilled with all manners of war, can raise the dead and conjure flames, but I also think it could be a megabeast with the tokens that let it rule civs and just make the nar and jotunn have no set positions so the megabeast can step in and rule.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2014, 07:57:40 am »

Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days
we mixed our blood together?
You said you would never drink ale
unless it were brought to both of us.

I have ideas for the best way to try and create the Nar as a civ, though I am uncertain how best to proceed with it. I want to represent Loki as he was the general of the army that sailed from Hel but I cannot decide how best to do so, I'm tempted to make a caste of nar that stands tall above mortal men, is skilled with all manners of war, can raise the dead and conjure flames, but I also think it could be a megabeast with the tokens that let it rule civs and just make the nar and jotunn have no set positions so the megabeast can step in and rule.
All else fails, you got Loki enslaving men or some other race

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2014, 12:53:34 pm »

I can't be of any real help as I know nothing of modding DF but I just wanted to say I am excited for this mod.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 02, 2014, 12:11:32 pm »

I can't be of any real help as I know nothing of modding DF but I just wanted to say I am excited for this mod.

Same. I usually use vanilla, as most mods I find just get annoying after a bit, but I am seriously thinking of using this. Good work!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2014, 07:14:55 pm »

I played a bit of adventurer, and I wish I had a picture of this, but I started with a COPPER JOTUN SPEAR... Thing reduced my speed to 99 sneaking or normal, and I really wanted to try throwing it, but I had my arm severed before I could try. Also, add one eldjotun to my total kill list; killed it before I died of being on fire!

EDIT:
Purpose of that was I don't think Jotun Spears should be able to be carried by Adventurers...

Also; Berserkers don't rage in adventurer for some reason

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2014, 07:29:54 pm »

I played a bit of adventurer, and I wish I had a picture of this, but I started with a COPPER JOTUN SPEAR... Thing reduced my speed to 99 sneaking or normal, and I really wanted to try throwing it, but I had my arm severed before I could try. Also, add one eldjotun to my total kill list; killed it before I died of being on fire!

EDIT:
Purpose of that was I don't think Jotun Spears should be able to be carried by Adventurers...

Also; Berserkers don't rage in adventurer for some reason

Was your adventurer an outsider? IIRC, they will always start off with a random spear and dagger regardless of civilization permissions, since they aren't a part of any civilizations.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16