New materials.
- 9 (15.8%)
The language file.
- 9 (15.8%)
New creatures.
- 21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Norse Fortress Mod  (Read 40363 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Norse Fortress Mod
« Reply #195 on: February 04, 2014, 08:34:29 pm »

I played a bit of adventurer, and I wish I had a picture of this, but I started with a COPPER JOTUN SPEAR... Thing reduced my speed to 99 sneaking or normal, and I really wanted to try throwing it, but I had my arm severed before I could try. Also, add one eldjotun to my total kill list; killed it before I died of being on fire!

EDIT:
Purpose of that was I don't think Jotun Spears should be able to be carried by Adventurers...

Also; Berserkers don't rage in adventurer for some reason

Was your adventurer an outsider? IIRC, they will always start off with a random spear and dagger regardless of civilization permissions, since they aren't a part of any civilizations.
Would a jotun spear be that? And I always use outsider. makes it much more !!FUN!! I mostly thought they were too big to be used by Norsemen
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 04, 2014, 08:40:03 pm »

Would a jotun spear be that? And I always use outsider. makes it much more !!FUN!! I mostly thought they were too big to be used by Norsemen

If the jotun spear uses the spear skill, then there is a chance you could start with it as an outsider. Though judging by its size, it seems like the pike skill would be more appropriate.

There are probably some limitations to this of course; otherwise we would be starting with training spears. Though I do know that if a training spear has an edged attack you can potentially start with a copper training spear.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 04, 2014, 08:54:51 pm »

When I think of throwing a Jotun spear, I think of a 6' guy throwing a tree from British Columbia with a spear point. And for those who have no idea about them, these trees are used to make totem poles

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 04, 2014, 09:02:27 pm »

The spear has a size of 3,000,000.

You were basically trying to caber-toss a rhino.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 04, 2014, 09:14:00 pm »

The spear has a size of 3,000,000.

You were basically trying to caber-toss a rhino.
I think those tree justifies the size as well, but I may be thinking 3,000,000 isn't as big as I thought it is

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2014, 02:45:44 pm »

Ah, finally got my laptop working again so I can get back to work on this.  :)

Oh, and the jotunn weapons are all huge and have a large amount of materials in them. They weigh a lot as a result.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2014, 07:36:44 pm »

Sadly I've not made any further progress on this yet as I've been busy, but I'm posting up a to-do list in case anyone has suggestions for what I'm going to be doing.

1) Make Fimbulwinter Wolves as a race or non-sentient invaders that attack in winter. I might make an global interaction that has an effect on them to make them stronger at certain times.

2) Make the Anglo-Saxons as a race. There's not many people to trade with at the moment and the Saxons would make a good group due to having near identical gear.

3) Try to make the Nar into a civ. Undead civs aren't really my specialty though so I may struggle a bit with this, but I'm sure I can make it work somehow. Am considering a global interaction that reanimates them once a year to encourage people to tidy up their settlements or find somewhere to dump the bodies.

4) Decide what to do with Frost Giants. Currently planning for them to be hostile, might make them friendly if people prefer the idea of having at least one nice race of giants.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2014, 07:46:12 pm »

Sadly I've not made any further progress on this yet as I've been busy, but I'm posting up a to-do list in case anyone has suggestions for what I'm going to be doing.

1) Make Fimbulwinter Wolves as a race or non-sentient invaders that attack in winter. I might make an global interaction that has an effect on them to make them stronger at certain times.

2) Make the Anglo-Saxons as a race. There's not many people to trade with at the moment and the Saxons would make a good group due to having near identical gear.

3) Try to make the Nar into a civ. Undead civs aren't really my specialty though so I may struggle a bit with this, but I'm sure I can make it work somehow. Am considering a global interaction that reanimates them once a year to encourage people to tidy up their settlements or find somewhere to dump the bodies.

4) Decide what to do with Frost Giants. Currently planning for them to be hostile, might make them friendly if people prefer the idea of having at least one nice race of giants.
IF there is gongi to be a friendly race of giants, it definatley wouldn't be frost. Isn't that Loki's army or are those "normal" Jotun?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2014, 08:25:11 pm »

IF there is gongi to be a friendly race of giants, it definatley wouldn't be frost. Isn't that Loki's army or are those "normal" Jotun?

As I recall Loki leads an army of 'Hel's Own' which is generally assumed to be the undead of Hel. The army is meant to travel to the final battle on Naglfar which was built by the frost giants, and I think that Hrym (or was it Thrym...) was meant to lead an army of frost giants against the gods at Ragnarok.

At the same time though the frost giants have the most friendly interactions with the gods, Skadi being a Vanir by marriage and I recall a story where a frost giant goes fishing with Thor, though it may have been a normal giant instead. Though I think that one of Odin's children was born of a giantess.

The Eldjotun are only portrayed as evil forces of destruction as all they do is show up to burn the world at Ragnarok, so the choice would be between frost and normal giants either way.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2014, 10:55:29 pm »

I beleive it was a standard Jotun that went fishing with Thor. If I recall, Thor fishes up the world serpent and the giant cuts the line and Thor throws him into the ocean, though I may be wrong on that last bit. I think if we're to have friendly giants, it would be normal Jotun, but it would be an uneasy peace like elves/dwarves are in vanilla; both don't like eachother but they'll do business until someone breaks the uneasy peace.

And all Aesir/Vanir marriages to Jotun were all standard Jotun; if I recall, Sif is a Jotun, because I remember that Odin wasn't happy that Magni was given a horse because he was the son of a Jotun.

Frej also fell for a Jotun, which is why he gave up his sword (and if only he had it still...)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2014, 04:56:40 am »

Njord married Skadi the Huntress who was the daughter of a Frost Giant chieftain that Loki murdered.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2014, 05:07:35 pm »

I've got some stuff I'd like to put up for review, the weapons for the Anglo-Saxons.

I tried to give their knife a more slashing focus than the norse one.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Where the Dane Axe is based on the long handled version I've based the Bearded Axe on the short handled variety. Though Apparently some where larger.

Leaf Headed Spear, not really sure how to differentiate between spears meaningfully truth be told.

I gave the Saxons a sword based roughly on the Spatha, quite short but decent for hacking and stabbing.

Longbow. That's pretty much all I have to say about it.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2014, 10:14:59 pm »

I've got some stuff I'd like to put up for review, the weapons for the Anglo-Saxons.

I tried to give their knife a more slashing focus than the norse one.

Where the Dane Axe is based on the long handled version I've based the Bearded Axe on the short handled variety. Though Apparently some where larger.

Leaf Headed Spear, not really sure how to differentiate between spears meaningfully truth be told.

I gave the Saxons a sword based roughly on the Spatha, quite short but decent for hacking and stabbing.

Longbow. That's pretty much all I have to say about it.

IMHO, the swords the Saxons use should be Migration Period Sword]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Period_sword]Migration Period Sword, known in the glorious poem of Beowulf as a 'węgsweord'.

Much cooler sounding than Spatha, anyway.

Just my two-cents.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 01, 2014, 04:24:10 am »

The mod is on hold again for exams. Might finish up the saxons between studying but no guarantees. Have the summer break coming up though so I should make a nice big chunk of progress then.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 04, 2014, 02:54:34 pm »

Starting on this again. I intend to do the language file before anything else because it's been bugging me.

More actual features can wait, I have an irritant to deal with.  :P
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16