New materials.
- 9 (15.8%)
The language file.
- 9 (15.8%)
New creatures.
- 21 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Norse Fortress Mod  (Read 40375 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Norse Fortress Mod
« Reply #210 on: June 04, 2014, 04:12:52 pm »

How will this mod fare when toady updates DF next month? Just overhaul or copy-paste?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 04, 2014, 05:14:52 pm »

Don't know really, I haven't looked into the changes that will be made to how the RAWs are arranged so I don't know what I'll need to change, if anything.

The mod is still small though, so it shouldn't take me too long to update it for the new version if it turns out to not work.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 04, 2014, 11:23:21 pm »

Don't know really, I haven't looked into the changes that will be made to how the RAWs are arranged so I don't know what I'll need to change, if anything.

The mod is still small though, so it shouldn't take me too long to update it for the new version if it turns out to not work.

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2014, 09:21:41 pm »

Is this still being updated, or has it fallen by the wayside?
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2014, 12:53:07 pm »

PTW
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2018, 10:38:16 am »

Poking my head in here wondering if this will be updated for the recent version of DF or if someone is willing to pick up the mod and do so (I would offer to do so, but I don't know how to mod, let alone update an existing mod)

I know this mod is probably abandoned, but I really liked this mod a lot and hope it gets updated. I feel that the recent changes to DF are PERFECT for this mod

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 06, 2018, 10:45:13 am »

I'd quite like to see it, too. Norse mythology and DF just seem to go together.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 08, 2018, 10:22:06 pm »

Who knows, maybe something can be done with this mod (not by me, I've already got a bunch of projects

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 08, 2018, 10:57:50 pm »

Who knows, maybe something can be done with this mod (not by me, I've already got a bunch of projects
I'm debating learning how to mod DF just to pick up the torch if I have to. I'm learning more and more about coding, so this shouldn't be too hard, but I don't wanna pick this up and mess everything up cause I don't know how to update mods or properly makes things work

It doesn't seem TOO hard, but I've been known to underestimate tasks

If I do pick it up, I won't be able to work on it until classes are done for the semester and even after that, it would be spotty when the next one comes up. At least it'll look good on a portfolio since I'm working to be in game development

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 08, 2018, 11:56:14 pm »

It's not that difficult, this is a very easy game to mod.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2018, 12:20:16 am »

Other than the wiki section on modding, got anywhere a newbie can look to learn? As I said, I have SOME coding experience, so maybe in my free time (aka, when I'm on my lunch breaks at work) I'll give it a gloss over

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 09, 2018, 04:34:40 am »

Other than the wiki section on modding, got anywhere a newbie can look to learn? As I said, I have SOME coding experience, so maybe in my free time (aka, when I'm on my lunch breaks at work) I'll give it a gloss over
Use the notes in the dwarf raws for creatures and the wiki. Copy an entity from entity.txt and tweak for a new entity.
It's not coding. If you can read English, you can mod dwarf fortress.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 09, 2018, 04:45:56 pm »

Use the notes in the dwarf raws for creatures and the wiki. Copy an entity from entity.txt and tweak for a new entity.
Look, I was asking for places other than the wiki cause I have no idea where to start and while the wiki is a good reference, its not exactly good for learning. If you wanna be rude, go tell off someone who ISN'T thinking about working on this

Example/help threads, I dunno. If I was an expert at finding out how to learn to mod, I wouldn't have asked

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 09, 2018, 05:07:27 pm »

Look, I was asking for places other than the wiki cause I have no idea where to start and while the wiki is a good reference, its not exactly good for learning. If you wanna be rude, go tell off someone who ISN'T thinking about working on this

Example/help threads, I dunno. If I was an expert at finding out how to learn to mod, I wouldn't have asked
In the dwarf raws (raw/objects/creature_standard.txt, that's your hard drive, not the wiki) there are notes included by Toady (in English) on exactly what everything does. Combined with the wiki that's everything you need to know to make a new creature.

You can also ask questions on this forum. I wasn't being rude. it is actually written in actual English, not code. Unless you start using Dfhack (not needed for most normal modding) there is no coding. There is no better resource than the wiki and the instructions written in the raws themselves.

You'll need a text editor. Notepad should work OK. Notepad++ is recommended by some as a good alternative.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 09, 2018, 07:51:57 pm »

I'll second Shonai's advice. He really wasn't being sarcastic. I learned how to mod pretty much exactly as he describes.

I'd like to add that merging mods is also good practice. It works, but usually only after a bit of editing to get all the pieces working together without bugs. It also forces you to look closely at how mods of various quality are made.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16