Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Remember Deduk Ringtome !  (Read 1714 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Remember Deduk Ringtome !
« on: October 21, 2013, 02:31:15 pm »

Yes, remember the tale of Deduk Ringtomes , the Lantern of Shames !

A brave heroic dwarf that died too young at only 56 years old

Deduk decided early in his youth that the world needed all its wrongs to be set right , and his silver axe would be the most appropriate tool for that.

To achieve his goal, he had to fight terrible night creatures, former humans that became monstrous under the influence of their evil ways, enemies that were terrorising hamlets and cities.
And everytime he put an end to their horrible threat.

In the course of his life , Deduk befriended a human, Mudi Spatteredeagle, that accepted to join him in his crusade to free the world from its evil.
Together their fame reached the ears of everyone, making them heroes in their eyes, hope of a better tomorrow was starting to spread and would never be stopped.

But in the year 106 , the most powerfull order of evil named the "Homely Hammers" decided to do everything that was still possible to destroy those heroes before it was too late.

The Homely Hammers tasked their strongest members led by the order mistress herself, Laspar Fillcuddled, to ambush and kill the heroes while they were heading to destroy another nest of night creatures.

Under the surprise, Deduk and Mudi were hit by volley of arrows while the enemy troops rushed at them from every side, but the heroes' resolve was so great that even badly wounded, they struck down the Homely Hammers elites one after another.
.. Until Laspar herself faced Deduk in a battle that was so epic that the land went silent as if nature itself was holding its breath while blows after blows the rocks were shattering around the scene.

Mudi was mortally wounded at some distance but managed to kill his enemy, and helping himself with a tree, he was still standing to observe the fight that was the conclusion of his and Deduk's war over evil.

Deduk despite the intense pain of the arrows that were hurting him was still fighting, the heroic dwarf managed to deal such a powerfull strike of his beloved silver axe that Laspar, with an expression of intense surprise on her face, was cut in half and her upper body sailed away in a rain of blood as if Armok had a few tears in front of Deduk's last heroic battle.

Two of the remaining elites of the Homely Hammers were still standing , shocked by the death of their powerfull high mistress they thought to be immortal.
But their numbers wasn't giving them a real advantage in front of the dying Deduk Ringtome that showed them that his last breath was still enough to rid the world of their presence.

And walking away from his last stand, having put an end to the Homely Hammers elites and so their reign of terror, the last few arrows that pierced him to death weren't able to remove his smile directed to Mudi, both knowing that the work of their life mattered, that evil wouldn't reign anymore unchallenged.

Dudek died first, as being first at everything was still a Dwarf's duty when in presence of humans, but Mudi knew his time was soon to be following his friend to a better world.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 03:27:02 pm by Robsoie »

Grigor91

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Remember Deduk Ringtome !
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 03:15:45 pm »

This short tale was awesome,dude :D
Your writing style isn't common as I see.Nice work on the memoir.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 04:30:13 pm »

Thanks ;)

And what i like a lot with DF is that feeling of continuity in your generated worlds and legends.

By example my current alive character received a quest :

Finding the last survivor of that "Homely Hammers" to avenge my previous heroic character. That's just plain great.

(now if only i had some swimming training to cross that damned river and get to the quest location :D )

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 05:11:39 pm »

Truly a dwarf for the legends.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 05:37:52 am »

The epilogue of the legend.

Litast Ironside, the "Crested Tightness of Cover" , mandated by the Mountainhome to avenge the fall of the heroic Deduk Ringtome was leading an expedition of human soldiers that were eager to follow that glorious path.

His goal was the Homely Hammers, destroying their place of power would put an end to their reign.

After fending off filthy kobolds at a river crossing, the party finally reached their target.
The Homely Hammers camp despite the loss of their elites and more importantly of their high mistress was still strong in numbers.

The battle was without mercy, sadly took the lives of all the humans he was leading, but Litast Ironside using his ambushing prowesses managed to annihilate the last remnant of the most evil group in this side of the world, avenging all their death.

And then Litast found him, Asri Scaryawns, the coward responsible of the death of a hero.

Who can stop a furious Dwarf ?
Certainly not Asri.

On his difficult and lonely trip back to civilisation, Litast reported the news of the fall of the Homely Hammers. The cities rejoiced, the Homely Hammers was destroyed and the heroes avenged

And so it ended, you may ask about what happened to Litast in the years that followed his avenging expedition ?
... but that is another story.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 06:01:43 pm »

This is my tribute to the dwarf of the Law.

Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:27:28 pm »

I thought the title said ringtone and thought this was going to be spam.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 06:45:13 am »

Am I the only one who read this as Ringtone and though it some some kind of spam?

haha wow guess not!
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 07:55:23 am »

Thanks, Rob. That was pretty cool.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 09:45:34 am »

Am I the only one who read this as Ringtone and though it some some kind of spam?

haha wow guess not!

I also read the title initially as Deduk Ringtone instead of Ringtome, but I didn't think it was spam.