Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burning down the wooden items.  (Read 1189 times)

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burning down the wooden items.
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:39:45 pm »

What the title says. One can already melt down the metallic items to get metal bars, I think it would be great if one could burn the wooden items down to get some charcoal - would make the elven caravans a little more welcome sight.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Burning down the wooden items.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 05:29:36 pm »

What the title says. One can already melt down the metallic items to get metal bars, I think it would be great if one could burn the wooden items down to get some charcoal - would make the elven caravans a little more welcome sight.

IIRC this has been suggested before (although IIRC it was way back in the 40d days), only for ashes rather than charcoal. IMO ashes make more sense than charcoal; they're useful for glazing and soap and fertiliser as well as glass while not quite being as useful as charcoal; it means there wouldn't have as much need for clunky partial-bar mechanics the way metal objects need, too.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 10:13:05 am »

There have been intermittent suggestions of this features. It happens about every 3- 6 months.

Additionally, charcoal burning is quite a complicated procedure, so I doubt you would be able to burn wooden items into charcoal.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:38:43 am »

I think it might actually be possible to make a custom reaction that takes in wooden items and produces charcoal/ashes.

So you'd set up a stockpile for unwanted wood items like elven armour and link it to a furnace, activate the reaction and watch as your dorfs incinerate wooden rubbish.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 04:03:39 pm »

Maybe just use wooden items for fuel, like when cooking fires are implemented.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.