Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death  (Read 81231 times)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death
« Reply #255 on: October 24, 2013, 12:21:56 am »

On that note, Lyre of Building is best magic item.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 24, 2013, 01:59:08 am »

FUCK! Now I have to rethink my character! Damn it...

I'll post again once I've sorted this problem out somehow. Goddammit...

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 24, 2013, 02:12:55 am »

Alright. I could use some help. I've picked my starting ability scores and skills, and am trying to think of where to go from here. I know I am building a Paladin with the aim of moving on to Cavalier later on.

I picked skills to meet the pre-reqs for Cavalier when I'm ready, but there are still the feats to get. The feats to get into Cavalier all relate to horse riding and lances (which are best used from Horseback). I wont be of much use if I focus too heavily on horses before level 5 however, because that is when I can call a steed to wherever I am. I have a feeling keeping a Mundane Horse and bringing it up river by canoe until then will just not be practical.

So, I guess my question is should I grab feats that help now? Or take the cavalier pre-reqs that will not be of much use for a few levels?

I also need inventory help. I know I need Armor, a Lance,Weapon for Non-Mounted Combat, standard adventure supplies, and perhaps a ranged weapon, but beyond that I am lost.

Link to Sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=689171
Link to Cavalier: http://dndtools.eu/classes/cavalier/

Thanks in advance for the help, I'm going to crash now and hopefully finish the sheet after school tomorrow.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 24, 2013, 02:36:57 am »

FUCK! Now I have to rethink my character! Damn it...

I'll post again once I've sorted this problem out somehow. Goddammit...
Ran into a problem?

I picked skills to meet the pre-reqs for Cavalier when I'm ready, but there are still the feats to get. The feats to get into Cavalier all relate to horse riding and lances (which are best used from Horseback). I wont be of much use if I focus too heavily on horses before level 5 however, because that is when I can call a steed to wherever I am. I have a feeling keeping a Mundane Horse and bringing it up river by canoe until then will just not be practical.

So, I guess my question is should I grab feats that help now? Or take the cavalier pre-reqs that will not be of much use for a few levels?
You know, nothing says your mount has to be a horse...

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 24, 2013, 02:47:47 am »

Alright. I could use some help. I've picked my starting ability scores and skills, and am trying to think of where to go from here. I know I am building a Paladin with the aim of moving on to Cavalier later on.

I also need inventory help. I know I need Armor, a Lance,Weapon for Non-Mounted Combat, standard adventure supplies, and perhaps a ranged weapon, but beyond that I am lost.

Link to Sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=689171
Link to Cavalier: http://dndtools.eu/classes/cavalier/

Thanks in advance for the help, I'm going to crash now and hopefully finish the sheet after school tomorrow.

A mounted character is going to have problems in general, due to rough terrain being par for the course.  It would probably suit you best to find a mount that can charge across rough terrain (or a flying mount) before worrying too much about the rest.  Outside of that, save the Spirited Charge until level 6 or 9 (you can enter a Prestige class at the same level you meet all the requirements for it).  You can take the Weapon Focus (lance) early, as you can use the lance as a reach weapon for at least a round (and depending on how many hits you want to tempt, you can also move away and then attack with it again).  The Cavalier uses a sword as its backup weapon, so you should choose a Longsword as your alternate weapon to make the most of it.  Rather than getting ranged weapons, I think we actually have enough ranged tools that you could get by just through using your Aura and Lay on Hands abilities.  You'll only have a heal pool of 9 points immediately (level 3 x Cha bonus of 3), but you're going to be cutting it close to your desired weight limit as it is, so you don't want to also be carrying ranged weaponry.  In an emergency, you'll be using your shield and retreating anyway, as the Paladin is going to be very slow and won't be able to catch many things.

For armour, you're going to want Masterwork Banded Mail (not Half-plate or Full-plate; those absolutely require assistance to equip unless you want to face heavy penalties.  Banded Mail can be adorned in half the time with help, so if help is available, Banded is better in general.)  You're also going to want a Masterwork Heavy Steel Shield, to bring your total AC up to 18 (19 with my buff).  The biggest issue you're going to have (and it's a pretty hefty issue) is massive Armour Check Penalties.  You'll be facing -6 to your rolls for a lot of physical skills and a whopping -12 to your swim skills.

If you want to go lighter armour, you're going to be less protected, but the armor check penalties won't be nearly as severe.  In that case, Masterwork Chain Shirt + Masterwork Heavy Steel Shield brings your total AC up to 16 (17 with my buff) and your Armour Check Penalty to -2 (-4 for swimming).  2 difference in AC might seem small, but it's dangerous if an enemy can hit you on an 8 or better.

As far as feats are concerned, you only need 2 of your 4 prerequisite feats for Cavalier now; the other two you can pick up at level 6 and level 9.  It's entirely up to you if you want to be ready for mounted combat when you get your Paladin mount or if you want to be more versatile until then.  As a Human, you'll have 3 feats, so you're going to have 1 floating feat.  Maybe grab Improved Initiative or Power Attack?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:20:24 am by TealNinja »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 24, 2013, 02:59:10 am »

I see three options:

1. Pick one of the smaller mounts available. Ponies, Riding Dogs, Donkeys and Worgs are all things you could currently afford have as a mount which would fit in a canoe.
2. Don't get on a boat at all. The town has a gate, so there's no reason why you couldn't lead an expedition into the bush directly.
3. Tough it out for a level and then buy/recruit a flying mount.

E: Feat wise, I would recommend getting Spirited Charge now, but leaving Weapon Focus (lance) off until you need it for Prestige Classing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:03:30 am by Grek »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 24, 2013, 03:21:19 am »

When I play a Paladin, I tend to pick the feats that let me trade turn undead attempts for something actually useful 90% of the time. Not to mention Clerics do it better. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait till level four to use these-which means either going without, or using feat retraining. Or take a one level dip into Cleric for turning/spellz. Which would also put your mount back one level...which is probably going to be a deal breaker for you.

But still, they good feats if you're willing to go out on a limb for them.

http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-warrior--61/divine-shield--666/
http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-warrior--61/divine-might--661/

etc, etc. There's a good amount.

Also, perhaps a primary investment- http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Horseshoes_of_a_Zephyr
While it's sort of foggy, I believe you'd negate many ugly terrain penalties-it's possible you could even scoot over water, I think. It'd be funny if you could gallop your horse alongside our boat...

Also, note-a special Darkwood Heavy Wooden shield has 0 check penalty for the same AC as a metal one. It's also half the weight, though technically it's easier to sunder with half the durability of a steel one. But it probably floats. :P

@Grek: He'd have to be a halfling to ride one of those, I believe...

In the end, WS, don't worry about toughing it out without a horse if you have to-it won't last long. Feats don't make the character-they just make you better. You can still smite, heal, detect evil, aura of courage the rest of us-and be generally awesome in melee when you're on two feet.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 24, 2013, 03:36:09 am »

@Grek: He'd have to be a halfling to ride one of those, I believe...
Or a Kobold! *Not biased at all*

but you're going to be cutting it close to your desired weight limit as it is, so you don't want to also be carrying ranged weaponry.
A sling is always a good... well, I'd say investment, but it's free and has no weight, so you're not actually investing anything.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 24, 2013, 03:45:20 am »

Hello,

I was wondering if I could/should changed my bardy character for a fighter1/rogue2 character to better fit my gentleman philosopher concept?

edit: perhaps it would just be simpler to stick with what I have. Just not used to any type of magic, even weak magic.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:01:43 am by lawastooshort »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 24, 2013, 04:04:12 am »

@Lawas: I believe it's too late to change your char so completely.

But I mean, you could change your perform skill to 'oratory', hey? :P Give us philosophical ethos in the middle of battle to hearten our spirits!

"But, what is a sword if not a pen, to writ a meritorious fate in the blood of the ones enemies?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 24, 2013, 04:08:02 am »

@Lawas: I believe it's too late to change your char so completely.

But I mean, you could change your perform skill to 'oratory', hey? :P Give us philosophical ethos in the middle of battle to hearten our spirits!

"But, what is a sword if not a pen, to writ a meritorious fate in the blood of the ones enemies?"

Yes, it probably is, but I was just thinking about it too much on the way to work.

Also, I mean philosopher in the sense of a nineteenth century person interested in science, and generally everything, rather than the above, although I have to admit the idea does rather please me.

It's just I have slightly confused or mixed together two character ideas which have bugged me for a while, one being a slightly sneaky philosopher, and one a travelling folk music enthusiast.

Oh, I think I chose whistle as it was small and I couldn't buy a masterwork mouth to sing with.

edit: also partly I think the desire sprung out of my not actually knowing how to be useful as a bard.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:13:11 am by lawastooshort »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2013, 04:14:47 am »

@Lawas; You can stretch the rules a biiiit there in regards to 'instruments'. At least I always do...lol.

A master of oratory could have a special tome of ethics he has to carry around, in lieu of an actual instrument.

I once made a Dwarf general guy whose bardic ability was 'Dwarven Shouting'-made him wear a war banner on his back as his instrument.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 24, 2013, 04:22:54 am »

It's just I have slightly confused or mixed together two character ideas which have bugged me for a while, one being a slightly sneaky philosopher, and one a travelling folk music enthusiast.
Sounds like a Rogue/(Bard or Wizard, depending). Or a straight Bard, for that matter.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 24, 2013, 04:25:56 am »

Oh gosh. So I could have a Masterwork Tome of Proverbs and Sayings?

Sounds like a Rogue/(Bard or Wizard, depending). Or a straight Bard, for that matter.

Double gosh - so I could just pick a level of Rogue if I live that long?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 24, 2013, 04:34:46 am »

@Lawas: All perform skills are mechanically the same-an instrument is just whatever you have on you at the moment that allows you do so. For fluff purposes, we might as well say you need a weighty tome to be a true philosopher. :P

And yeah, you might consider it-if you ever get tired of being the party wheel, just start dropping levels into rogue.

There's nothing wrong with ending up as Bard 8/Rouge 12. SA die of 6d6 is nought to be scoffed at.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 58