Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Narcissistic Dwarves  (Read 804 times)

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Narcissistic Dwarves
« on: October 23, 2013, 02:24:36 pm »

I was having my dwarves engrave the walls and mint coins to document the history of the fort. The outpost liason (now one of my engraves and metalsmiths) kept carving images of herself becoming outpost liason. Is there a higher chance for dwarves to depict themselves in their work?

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Narcissistic Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 02:46:17 pm »

It does seem to happen sometimes, I think it might have something to do with their personality traits. They also seem to develop a few favourite subjects - usually things or other dwarves that they like. For example I once had a legendary metalsmith who was producing gold statues to adorn the fortress, and at least 25% must have been of themselves...

The flipside can also happen though. There's a long history of engravers drawing dwarves they dislike being frightened by vermin.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.