Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boredom at the circus  (Read 2487 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Boredom at the circus
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:11:08 pm »

Well, I got bored and decided to go visit the circus. I quicksaved with DFhack and then we broke into the circus. With 15 dorfs, most of whom were recruits. Needless to say it was a bloodbath

Regardless, it was just an experiment but got me thinking, what are some good strategies for dealing with clowns? I'd like to try some more legitimate strategies, rather than cheaper ones.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boredom at the circus
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:25:48 pm »

Spike traps on repeat, cave-ins, and obsidian casting all work very well, and they are fully risk-free strategies if you don't seriously screw up (e.g. by leaving a path into your fort). The easiest way to kill the clowns with military would probably be to trap them behind fortifications, thin the herd with marksdwarves, then mop up with a large, well-trained contingent of axedwarves. Once I beat the HFS with a handful of goblin corpses and a necromancer. I wouldn't recommend that one, to be honest. Took forever.

The real question is, what would you consider legitimate?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 12:24:12 am »

If it is complex and stupid and sort of "why in the Armok's sake anyone would do this", it's legitimate for dwarves.

I usually go with large amounts of military (preferably legendaries with steel/candy) and see who wins. If I really want to make sure that I win, I'll build a long corridor of upright spikes set on repeat.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 03:58:13 am »

If it is complex and stupid and sort of "why in the Armok's sake anyone would do this", it's legitimate for dwarves.

You forgot to mention the unexpected spectacular failure...
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:04:27 am »

Word of warning: clowns can spawn with webs or with deadly dust. Melee dwarves become mostly useless against these two types of demons; check which kind of clowns there are on your map before committing to any type of strategy that involves massive amounts of fighters. I may or may not be speaking from experience. Twice.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 03:10:39 pm »

Word of warning: clowns can spawn with webs or with deadly dust. Melee dwarves become mostly useless against these two types of demons; check which kind of clowns there are on your map before committing to any type of strategy that involves massive amounts of fighters. I may or may not be speaking from experience. Twice.

Clowns that breathe fire, or are made of flame, aren't much of a picnic either.

It's called !!FUN!! for a reason... ;)
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 03:20:10 pm »

When I visited the circus after I quicksaved, I had around 4 or five webspinning clowns. Fortunately they spawn randomly each time.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Desgeretjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 04:53:26 am »

Perpetual minecart Grinder.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 05:29:34 pm »

Perpetual minecart Grinder.
That's a neat idea I've never considered!

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 05:35:23 pm »

I've used that as a front entrance before, it works wonders against all kinds of sieges.  Never tried it against clowns, though I imagine it would be on par with repeating spikes.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 05:40:33 pm »

I once tried to set up a dwavern rail shotgun pointed at the clown tent entrance. It had six shots and was truly mighty (lead bars and steel swords), then a farting clown showed up with a siege and made confetti out of my dwarfs, as my defence was almost entirely weapon traps and cages.

I still wonder if that rail shotgun would have been any good