Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 96

Author Topic: Goblins: So How Hard Are You? (Makes sense in context)  (Read 138385 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Goblins: A Webcomic Through Their Eyes
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2013, 01:15:45 am »

It occurs to me that if I didn't spend days at a time binging on webcomics and online articles, I wouldn't be so far behind on my 52 books challenge... I wonder if Goblins is long enough to count as a graphic novel by now? And I should start word-counting all the articles I read and call it a book every time I hit 50,000!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2013, 02:52:57 am »

Yes. I'm in the midst of designing a D&D campaign. I need unspeakable horrors more than ever.

Check the Book of Vile Darkness if you're running 3.5e/Pathfinder. It depends on what level you're catering to as well. For example, if you're doing a low level campaign, check out the Barrow of the Forgotten King (you can easily find it by googling the PDF). Good long campaign there with plenty of nasty encounters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2013, 05:16:51 am »

I must say I'm not a fan of dies horribly, if only because his existence mean we don't see the main cast loose track of the webcomic's core idea (Whatif goblins took adventurer levels to defend themselves?).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2013, 06:12:10 am »

I must say I'm not a fan of dies horribly, if only because his existence mean we don't see the main cast loose track of the webcomic's core idea (Whatif goblins took evil shapeshifting cybernetic augments to defend themselves?).
I believe this would be the reason.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2013, 08:56:35 am »

It occurs to me that if I didn't spend days at a time binging on webcomics and online articles, I wouldn't be so far behind on my 52 books challenge... I wonder if Goblins is long enough to count as a graphic novel by now? And I should start word-counting all the articles I read and call it a book every time I hit 50,000!

You've actually read a little over four books, if this is to be believed.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2013, 03:06:00 pm »

Just binged through it last night, and finished this morning. That is some dark stuff! I disagree with people who say the thing is nothing but dark now though, Forgath still has some pretty good back and forth with Minmax and Kin, and I thoroughly enjoyed Dies Horribly's arc. Though I was somewhat confused at the end. Are the Vipers gone just like that? That seems a bit cheap. I'm also still surprised how bad I felt when Chief went to -10. I do totally agree about the fight scenes though, I had to look twice to see just what was happening in a lot of those panels, but it has gotten better.
It's not about the comic being all dark moments at all times, it's about how they seem to be unable to get a single lasting meaningful success. Any time they do seem to actually accomplish something meaningful, they'll either lose it painfully soon enough, or it'll cost far more than it was worth it, when it's not both. Any time their character develop in a positive way, or any time they start creating positive bonds with another character, it's nearly guaranteed that something will happen that will either kill one of the characters or destroy their bonds somehow. At least they will traumatize them thoroughly.

Summing it up, it's not quite that every moment is a dark moment, but simply that they seem to be doomed to failure in the worst ways, and any light of hope that appears seems to be an incoming train. It gets very hard to actually care.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2013, 06:37:06 pm »

Sad fact is, life doesn't have a happy ending either. I'm frankly impressed how well the author keeps making us wince while he kicks the dog one more time.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2013, 06:38:04 pm »

I question whether they could use the reconstruction magic to heal memories.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2013, 07:12:46 pm »

Sad fact is, life doesn't have a happy ending either.
If someone's life was kept punching them like Goblins do with their characters, I'd be surprised if they didn't jumped on one of the oblivion holes.

Or, a relevant quote from TvTropes (original site seems to be sadly dead):

"By all means, writers, let your story wander around the dank, twisty little passages. You may even permit that journey to come to a bad end. But without some light source, your story will be eaten by the Grue of Indifference."
—The dePlume Dimension, "Always Keep a Door Open"
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2013, 07:16:04 pm »

All true. This smells to me like it's building to a climax, though - conflict between Minmax and ... the berzerker goblin? Names? That guy.
And then Kore.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2013, 11:14:33 pm »

I tried looking into what that THING near the end of the Well of Darkness was.

Found out it's called a Lesser Finger Horror. Let me repeat that. LESSER Finger Horror. That thing is horrifying.

If I ever run into one in a game session, however unlikely, I'm running.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2013, 11:15:15 pm »

But what about Mr. Left Feet?
Sig! Onol

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2013, 11:39:41 pm »

Well, I did just promise that I had a ton of REALLY cool stuff planned for my DnD game. Thanks for the inspiration.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2013, 11:42:34 pm »

Welp, update in 2 hours. Time to see how that prophecy thing goes over.

'When the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate'
Or something like that.
Sig! Onol

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2013, 02:00:52 am »

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why it is a bad idea for a character to have 22 strength and below 8 intelegence and wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 96