Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Stanley Parable  (Read 7867 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
The Stanley Parable
« on: October 23, 2013, 05:04:11 am »

Anybody else played this game?
It made me hate everything about myself and could very well be the cure to game addiction. 9/10 would highly recommend.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Stanley Parable
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 09:01:03 am »

Oh, how I love this game. I also love how it almost turns into "how to find every ending" which is hilariously just proving the game's point.
One ending requires over 4hrs play, in one section...
Got to the baby game???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 09:39:38 am »

4 hours of play eh? I assume it's been vastly expanded since the free version, then?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 09:42:35 am »

I played this when it was just a free mod. How much has it expanded since then?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 09:44:39 am »

BROOM CLOSET ENDING! :D

All I know. Nerdcubed is such a great commentator :P

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 10:06:32 am »

BROOM CLOSET ENDING! :D

All I know. Nerdcubed is such a great commentator :P
Fellow Procrastinator!!!
I went into the Closet myself, after hearing all the information that you see in Dan's video I thought to myself...
"I wonder if they have accounted for players that step back into the closet after this..." And they did...
After the next round after the ending happens, you pass the closet again, going in again has the announcer state that he is not going to play this game again and remain silent...
After the next round, the closet is boarded up with planks preventing access...

I thought that in itself was an epic touch...

Anyway...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 10:12:40 am »

I really enjoyed the demo, Everyone should try it.

DEMO SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO PLAYED IT
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 10:27:07 am »

I really enjoyed the demo, Everyone should try it.

DEMO SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO PLAYED IT
TBH, thats the whole point of the Demo. If you wait for around a minute or so, the narrator moves onto the demo in making a demo part automatically...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 05:05:21 pm »

Yea, the entire game is pretty funny, in a very mind screwy way.
I remember at one point thinking of just turning the game off, but then I realized I was going to do that to prove a point to a thoughtless, emotionless game and it had already made fun of me for it.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 06:58:34 pm »

The narrarator must have nailed the broom closet shut after I kept going in there >:(

This game is hilarious and awesome. I had played the original mod a while back, the new version has a considerable ammount of extra content.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 07:40:31 pm »

Hey fellow procrastinators Iceblaster and Neyvn!

Any way...

This is a thread about a man named Stanley...
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 10:12:03 pm »

From what I remember about the mod, and reading all of these so far, and having played the demo, I am reminded of having a dream similar to the game (including telling me when I was about to wake up with the clocks following suit). It's quite unnerving, and makes me question reality when I'm awake.

I think at one moment I ended up narrating my own life as a disembodied voice during that dream. It was weird. It was like I was watching myself on TV, and I was guiding the story by telling it.

Why do I get the weirdest dreams ever?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:15:21 pm by Itnetlolor »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 03:14:16 am »

So, both Total Biscuit and Jim Sterling singing praise to TSP recently in their traditional "Games of this calender year" videos.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 03:22:35 am »

So, both Total Biscuit and Jim Sterling singing praise to TSP recently in their traditional "Games of this calender year" videos.

Nerdcubed did as well in his 'Totally not poop awards' video :P

Soooo. Yay?

Anyway, I am still yet to play this wonderful game due to... computer and money reasons :P

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 03:52:36 am »

I love this game. I know I'm nowhere near having found all the secrets and endings, but I'm satisfied with how much I've discovered. Sometimes I go on and play around a bit more, looking for things I hadn't thought of before.

My favorite part was getting the 430 achievement. I wonder if you really do get an achievement for leaving the game running for 24 hours (an entire Tuesday), or leaving it for 5 years then coming back. I haven't managed the speed run yet - every time I try, I get distracted by something.

Actually, the guys who made the game are really cool, too. I wrote the lead dev explaining that I really wanted the game, but I was angry with Steam for their regional price difference shenanigans, so how would he feel if I just pirated the game, then sent them some money via PayPal. He wrote back that they did their best to ensure equal pricing for their game, but Steam doesn't account for the changing values of currency, so there end up being discrepancies - but since he didn't want me to miss out on playing, and the game doesn't work properly without Steam due to licensing issues, he simply sent me a Steam key and said "don't worry about paying me back" because he's sure I've gotten screwed out of plenty of extra money by virtue of living in Europe.

I was so impressed that I bought the game anyway and put the free key he sent me into the "make the world a better place giveaway" thread, which I told him about and he approved. (So if anyone wants a copy of the game, do something nice for people and you can have that one!)

I've also gotten a lot of fun and interesting screen shots in this game. They're in my Steam profile.
Pages: [1] 2