Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where should Fief go next?

Continue with the industry and action development and survival portion of the game.
- 13 (44.8%)
Straight track to peasants and town management, add other industries and skills later.
- 16 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Fief: the Medieval Manor Simulation  (Read 33105 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Fief: the Medieval Manor Simulation
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 12:26:37 pm »

Ooooh, I've been eyeing libGDX for a while now. I tried Slick at some point and really didn't like it, and ended up going the Python route. What have your experiences with it been like?

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 12:30:01 pm »

ASCII comes with it's own drawbacks though, it can look all rectangly. Also if you implement ASCII then it really needs to be everywhere to be robust for font changes unless you make it only use one tileset exclusively.

ASCII isn't always easier to implement and even then you need to spend time on it to make sure it looks good, using sprites is fine it's purely an aesthetic choice. It is being hipster though to be like 'psh it's not ASCII, it's so bourgeois'.

ASCII can be art but the point behind it is to emphasise gameplay (and imagination) over graphics, so it is very odd to try and say to make it ASCII so it looks better, can spend same time or less just improving the graphics of it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 12:39:35 pm »

Its the artist's choice and it looks nice as it is, you want ASCII then get off your bum and put in the tiles yourself, not like anyone is stopping you.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 02:13:50 pm »

I don't think hipster's the right word here, I mean, you can't deny that ASCII looks a whole lot better than some shoddy, unpolished, elementary drawings.

I can and do deny it.

Thes33

• Bay Watcher
  • Talespinner, Webwalker, Mindweaver
    • View Profile
    • Arborean Tears ~ Creative Studio
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 03:03:41 pm »

Its the artist's choice and it looks nice as it is, you want ASCII then get off your bum and put in the tiles yourself, not like anyone is stopping you.

Indeed!  Exactly what I thought when this was suggested previously.  If you prefer ASCII, make a tileset!

I liked ASCII it was fun, 15+ yrs ago when it was a necessity.  I even enjoyed ASCII again when I discovered dwarf fortress and played for months pretending I was reading the matrix.  Then I discovered tilesets and it greatly improved the game for me, and not only that, I was able to finally show my friends what I had been doing in the game.

Ooooh, I've been eyeing libGDX for a while now. I tried Slick at some point and really didn't like it, and ended up going the Python route. What have your experiences with it been like?

I've played around with it only a little.  But a friend who has used it much more has convinced me it would greatly improve my homebrew (read: crappy) graphics engine centered on Java2D.  Also to mention, the prospect of an Android port makes me giddy.
Fief: the Medieval Manor Simulation:   dev page

Oscuro1987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 03:13:28 pm »

Oh my god I thought this was dead, I happen to still have a bookmark to the website, and was regularly checking it out, without much result.
Happy to see it's still alive though! Love the concept. :)

EDIT: The new website is very nice too.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:01:15 pm by Oscuro1987 »

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 06:20:02 pm »

Open game, crash.
Code: [Select]
Fief Error Log: Thu Oct 24 19:19:13 EDT 2013
-------------------------------------

nullcom.arboreantears.fief.game.Fief.main(Fief.java:89)
   com.arboreantears.fief.graphics2d.FiefGameHandler.start(FiefGameHandler.java:236)
   com.arboreantears.fief.graphics2d.FiefGameHandler.loadRuleset(FiefGameHandler.java:440)
   com.arboreantears.fief.game.library.Ruleset.initialize(Ruleset.java:361)
   com.arboreantears.fief.game.io.ContentLoader.createMaterialsFromRaw(ContentLoader.java:586)
      null

Any help?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 06:46:41 pm »

Oh, neat! I'll have to take a look at where this has gone.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 06:48:13 pm »

Hunger bar drops only a few millimeters, RAVENOUS!!! What? That's kinda extreme...

Ok lets eat some of this bread.... Try eating one at a time......... How do I split???
EDIT:: Hold shift........ You need to put a Key Guide somewhere...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 06:49:04 pm »

Hunger bar drops only a few millimeters, RAVENOUS!!! What? That's kinda extreme...

Ok lets eat some of this bread.... Try eating one at a time......... How do I split???
Yes there is no way to split items down, other than dropping it and picking up 1.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 07:04:07 pm »

Yes there is no way to split items down, other than dropping it and picking up 1.
I worked it out and editted... Hold Shift...

For the importance of rocks, only finding them on Grasslands makes starting in a forest a days slog to find it. Leading to death...

Berrybushes all around, but nothing there to eat???

BUG:: Do NOT have a clue what I did, shelf plants at a shoreline or at reads lead to the game freezing with -1 step happening...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Thes33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 08:38:54 pm »

Open game, crash.
Code: [Select]
Fief Error Log: Thu Oct 24 19:19:13 EDT 2013
-------------------------------------

nullcom.arboreantears.fief.game.Fief.main(Fief.java:89)
   com.arboreantears.fief.graphics2d.FiefGameHandler.start(FiefGameHandler.java:236)
   com.arboreantears.fief.graphics2d.FiefGameHandler.loadRuleset(FiefGameHandler.java:440)
   com.arboreantears.fief.game.library.Ruleset.initialize(Ruleset.java:361)
   com.arboreantears.fief.game.io.ContentLoader.createMaterialsFromRaw(ContentLoader.java:586)
      null

Any help?

This may be an odd question, but did you unzip it?  Seems like the data folder is not next to the jar, or you've been tinkering in there.

The "hunger bar" is actually the nutrition bar, and is a measure of you overall healthy state when it comes to food.  The COLOR of the nutrition bar indicates your hunger.  If you put your mouse over it, it will tell you your Nutrition : Hunger.
The decay values on these may still need some adjustment, but were based on actual research concerning the timing of physiological effects of hunger and dehydration.

Oh my god I thought this was dead, I happen to still have a bookmark to the website, and was regularly checking it out, without much result.
Happy to see it's still alive though! Love the concept. :)

EDIT: The new website is very nice too.

Thanks, I wanted to celebrate the release by coughing up some dough for some nicer web hosting.  Sorry for the hiatus, over the summer I published a paper, got married, went on a honeymoon, and moved all in a 2 month period.  Been a crazy time :D   But I have regularly been working on the game since I moved to Minnesota last year.

For the importance of rocks, only finding them on Grasslands makes starting in a forest a days slog to find it. Leading to death...

Berrybushes all around, but nothing there to eat???

BUG:: Do NOT have a clue what I did, shelf plants at a shoreline or at reads lead to the game freezing with -1 step happening...

Yeah, Rock Debris should have some ultra low probability in the forests, you could change that by tinkering in Nemoreal.xml under Biomes in the native ruleset (or copy and make your own).  I plan to have it automatically create at least one pile if none exist on the map since it is vital when starting with nearly nothing.  Eventually starting game profiles will determine starting items.

Thought berry bushes worked, but maybe not :)   Acorns become plentiful in fall, but the plant system is still a little buggy, its a main target for the next release.  Sheafing reeds should work... or maybe harvesting them for Plant Fiber.  I'll be adding crops and visiting creatures in the next release, so food shouldn't be such an issue.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 10:57:05 am »

8 things that I want to note...

1: Game starts generally in Spring unless you realise that you can change it, Berries only really start to appear in Summer. Same with Acorns. Perhaps having some trees already fully grown and harvestable from the get go by auto genning a few days before plunking character down might also help, also maybe more foodstuffs available.....
2: That deer you see at start, only deer. Gods knows if more come...
3: Combat system doesn't give a lot of feedback. Why was a 4 a hit this time but the deer easily dodges it the second time???
4: Bigger maps means greater difficulty. As great as the generation is, with very little to fill it with in both game mechanic and visual responsive, its better to just go with a Homestead or Tiny Holding over anything bigger. Traveling across a giant map to find water to refill waterskin takes far too long on giant maps, more so if you generate a map without water...
5: Said before, say again, not enough feedback for the player to learn from mistakes.
6: Becoming Ravonous before getting halfway though the day then devouring all 5 lumps of bread you start with makes it hard to keep character sated past the third day.
7: Hitting wait should move forward a step or maybe a small number of them, not unlimited until acted. Time can quickly disappear when you rest, same with sleeping. Perhaps having a way to designate an ideal number.
8: Day and Night is impossible to keep to a steady pattern of sleep, if it effects anything at all atm. Sleeping with this rapid step increase can make you sleep through 2 days in one go by accident.

Thes33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 08:46:47 pm »

8 things that I want to note...

1: Game starts generally in Spring unless you realise that you can change it, Berries only really start to appear in Summer. Same with Acorns. Perhaps having some trees already fully grown and harvestable from the get go by auto genning a few days before plunking character down might also help, also maybe more foodstuffs available.....
2: That deer you see at start, only deer. Gods knows if more come...
3: Combat system doesn't give a lot of feedback. Why was a 4 a hit this time but the deer easily dodges it the second time???
4: Bigger maps means greater difficulty. As great as the generation is, with very little to fill it with in both game mechanic and visual responsive, its better to just go with a Homestead or Tiny Holding over anything bigger. Traveling across a giant map to find water to refill waterskin takes far too long on giant maps, more so if you generate a map without water...
5: Said before, say again, not enough feedback for the player to learn from mistakes.
6: Becoming Ravonous before getting halfway though the day then devouring all 5 lumps of bread you start with makes it hard to keep character sated past the third day.
7: Hitting wait should move forward a step or maybe a small number of them, not unlimited until acted. Time can quickly disappear when you rest, same with sleeping. Perhaps having a way to designate an ideal number.
8: Day and Night is impossible to keep to a steady pattern of sleep, if it effects anything at all atm. Sleeping with this rapid step increase can make you sleep through 2 days in one go by accident.

1). Actually the world simulates an entire year of growth prior to playing in order balance the weather cycles properly.  Food is an issue for sure (see 2).
2). That is my testing deer, more to come (and other less amiable creatures).
3). That is because you start out with zero skill in combat/hunting.  When your more skilled you'll get hints about where your opponent is going to dodge.  At the low levels this is highly weighted towards chance rather than skill creating much less determination about the outcome.  An upcoming GUI screen will allow you to see your current skill levels.  Experience is earned based on time spent doing the skills.  Based off the idea that it takes 10,000 hrs to become an expert at something.  However, after some modeling with those numbers it seemed far too tedious for gameplay, so I halved that amount.
4). For survival this may be true.  Later on larger manors will allow more building space.  But really the option is all about CPU/RAM limitations to accommodate all possible machines.  Many goods/resources will come from outlying areas not necessarily directly on your home manor.
5). Tutorial is forthcoming (You'll notice a message in the bottom left as a semi-guide, so the system is in place just needs a few hooks).
6). There may be some tweaking here yet, but more strenuous activities drains these things faster.
7). You can hold down Numpad 5 (K for laptop binding) to wait smaller amounts of time.
8). It will eventually wake you up (stop the waiting) when Sleepiness is full.  And there will be lighting changes to make it clearer about what time it currently is.  I am still debating about implementing real lighting and corresponding limitations to viewable tiles in the game, I feel like those algorithms eat up way too much CPU for the focus of my game to be worth it.  But I might be okay with implementing something that ignores walls at a set radius, its a lot cheaper for sure.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2013, 09:42:18 am »

How do I play this? Nothing I have will play the .jar file...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10