Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Surviving Masterwork?  (Read 7043 times)

Rikbog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving Masterwork?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 11:59:49 am »

I still haven't played with many of the new buildings either.  I'm researching the new forges now and trying to dig up enough told to guild some more people (so far just my armorer and weaponsmith have their training) and the things I can do with rocks are nice, but it's gonna take a while to get it all down.  Maybe that should be next up on my list of things to experiment with.

My current fort is past the starvation now at least.  I'm overproducing alcohol crops, and I could eat booze goats for years.  They really got out of control with their breeding during the tantrum induced civil war.  I guess without anyone milking them, they had to keep themselves busy somehow.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:02:13 pm by Rikbog »

tenshi99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 01:32:11 pm »

I dont get it.

you say sieges are too hard, but you kill your migrants, which would make perfect soldiers and archers?
If you mean me, not really.  I don't think they're too hard.  I just tend to turtle a little, and I know it.  I also had a lot of starvation with this fort keeping me from making much of a strong military.  I wall in and play pretty conservatively for the first few years.  I suppose even if the migrants failed to kill a siege, it would whittle them down and suck up less food.

I also don't usually keep the migrants out.  I let them in and regret it most of the time.  Maybe I just need to embark with more seeds/animals and miss less caravans while my broker sits there with NO JOB.
you can adjust immigrants by limit. and increase it when you need more meatdwarves.

Silver Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 02:06:11 pm »

ya most of my military woes probably come from all the things ya gota remember to do when setting them up :P
With ranged im not sure how to ballance the ammunition for them and havent really been able to find info on how it works exactly, if i set the squad to 100 arrows and have 10 dwarves is that 10 arrows per or 100 per, and even when i usually have enough quivers and a few hundred-thousand arrows i still have guys who dont fill there quivers even if i station them right on top of the stockpile XD
Ill have to take another crack at it sunday and see what i can do, and personally for "walled defenses" i like to embark in areas with nice plateau and remove the upramps, leaving only a small area that enemys can go up and build a nice castle on it.

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2013, 11:13:21 pm »

ya most of my military woes probably come from all the things ya gota remember to do when setting them up :P
With ranged im not sure how to ballance the ammunition for them and havent really been able to find info on how it works exactly, if i set the squad to 100 arrows and have 10 dwarves is that 10 arrows per or 100 per, and even when i usually have enough quivers and a few hundred-thousand arrows i still have guys who dont fill there quivers even if i station them right on top of the stockpile XD
Ill have to take another crack at it sunday and see what i can do, and personally for "walled defenses" i like to embark in areas with nice plateau and remove the upramps, leaving only a small area that enemys can go up and build a nice castle on it.

My favorite is a legendary crossbow dwarf carrying a repeating crossbow and a quiver of javelins.

Silver Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 01:47:48 am »

My favorite is a legendary crossbow dwarf carrying a repeating crossbow and a quiver of javelins.
how the heck does that work XD

Silver Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 04:14:03 am »

well on that note ive decided to delay my usual LP that i do sundays in favor of a several hour livestream to discover the most eficient way to get a effective ranged and melee military which will then be turned into a tutorial if i can manage to solve all the issues, for anyone that wishes to come on by and spread your knowledge of the military system please do <3

Ill be on here starting around 2PM mountain time
http://www.twitch.tv/silverdragon_

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 08:56:19 am »

Yes for hunting I get rid of actual hunters and used a small 1-3 markdwarf squad equipped with wooden javelin throwers and 30+ (2 stacks of 15 per dwarf) broadhead javelins (in wooden or bone variety). I upgrade to repeating throwers and metal piercing javs. This provides meat and military skill faster. Who needs ambushing skill when you got overwhelming numbers.

This squad is always on training with 4+ archery targets setup for the squad. I use two piles for ammo. One is with bins next to the fletcher/ammo caster and the second is without bins linked to the first setting usually inside an archer tower next to the archery targets. Not in bins helps with the "bin is being used/hauled so nothing else can use what's inside so I do nothing" bug.

Yes the ammo setting is for the whole squad. So a 3 dwarf squad gets 90. Remember this for the hunters to, because if you over assign here what you have in supply, they will hog it from the military. The simple fix is to use different types (hunters get bone regular javelins only, etc). I recommend setting the size in multiplies of the chosen ammo's stack size. 2 stacks seems to be the nice balance of economics so that all can share the ammo supply and enough volume of ammo for one dwarf to probably kill something.  Of course make sure you actually produce this volume of ammo and set you workflows accordingly (2x need).  This means a lot of early bones and/or trees.

Edit: Forgot to add that I do make seperate ammo assignments for training and combat once I get metal ammo production going. Metal will be for combat only (2-3 stacks) and 1-2 stacks will be for training.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 09:22:36 am by dukea42 »
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 10:46:08 am »

What Duke doesn't mention in his good advice above (but appears to assume) is that it prevents the wrong ammo problems when you set up separate squads for ranged weapons that use different ammo types (arrows vs bolts vs javelins, etc.) I have tended to specialize in one weapon type for my fortresses also and just sell off the other types or melt them down.

I tended to bows for a while, but in general I pick one for a fortress, doesn't matter to me so much which. I might let a good immigrant with high skill in one type decide my choice, let him play military "hunter" a while, then set him up as squad leader and trainer.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2013, 12:38:34 pm »

well on that note ive decided to delay my usual LP that i do sundays in favor of a several hour livestream to discover the most eficient way to get a effective ranged and melee military which will then be turned into a tutorial if i can manage to solve all the issues, for anyone that wishes to come on by and spread your knowledge of the military system please do <3

Ill be on here starting around 2PM mountain time
http://www.twitch.tv/silverdragon_

That would be an amazing addition to the knowledge pool for the game.  It seems all of us have found strange ways to make the military system.  Mine is retracting a massive bridge system similar to your season 5 LP entrance.  When it retracts it drops the entire siege/ambush about 8 levels into my barracks.  While not the most sporting thing with a lot of goblins being injured or stunned from the fall, I do at least leave them armed.  Plus I like to picture the scene from the Hobbit in my head with all the dwarves sliding down the cave trap into a big cage, except this time it's the goblins being captured.

I'll be very interested to see what you come up with.  Please post the livestream up when you are done.  I saw you are considering stopping the series.  Please continue as long as you are still interested in playing, I love watching the series.  I work nights at a hospital and I get about 6 hours of work and 6 hours of complete boredom trying to keep myself entertained.  Close to two hours a week of your LPs goes a long way towards me keeping my sanity.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2013, 12:51:42 pm »

That would be an amazing addition to the knowledge pool for the game.  It seems all of us have found strange ways to make the military system.  Mine is retracting a massive bridge system similar to your season 5 LP entrance.  When it retracts it drops the entire siege/ambush about 8 levels into my barracks.  While not the most sporting thing with a lot of goblins being injured or stunned from the fall, I do at least leave them armed.  Plus I like to picture the scene from the Hobbit in my head with all the dwarves sliding down the cave trap into a big cage, except this time it's the goblins being captured.
Thats actually very smart. I never had them drop on my barracks... dont the dwarves below take damage from enemies falling on them?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Silver Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2013, 01:01:49 pm »

I'll be very interested to see what you come up with.  Please post the livestream up when you are done.  I saw you are considering stopping the series.  Please continue as long as you are still interested in playing, I love watching the series.  I work nights at a hospital and I get about 6 hours of work and 6 hours of complete boredom trying to keep myself entertained.  Close to two hours a week of your LPs goes a long way towards me keeping my sanity.
Ah yes i loved that bridge, one of my coolest looking constructions, i was going to do something similar but i didnt plan ahead along those lines so i ended up having rooms build below the bridge, denying me that effect from what i remember and as to Meph's comment, if they landed on them id assume so but one could just station the dwarves off to the side somewhere, maby have different squads borrowed behind walls surrounding the area so that once the enemys land they can swarm in from all directions.
Anywho time to go get lunch before i start in 2 hours :P Also i should really attempt to build a minecart shotgun

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2013, 01:20:45 pm »

If you go with minecarts, make a circular track, power it, build rollers, and put some bladed minecarts on it. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Silver Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2013, 01:43:24 pm »

If you go with minecarts, make a circular track, power it, build rollers, and put some bladed minecarts on it. :)
Ive only ever messed with minecarts once, since haulers with wheelbarrows are usually efficient enough i dont really see much use to them, but ive wanted to try that since i first heard of it :P

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2013, 07:45:53 pm »

Minecarts are now essential to me. But I mostly use them for quantum stockpiles. No track, just a stop with a cart on it and a receiving stockpile and the one square quantum one.

I keep meaning to try actually building a transportation system, but I do 3D forts and they are so efficient I don't really need much transport.

I have watched a lot of your series too, SD.  Always looking for new tricks.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2013, 11:27:02 pm »

I use alot Q.S. an are a must for the space, organization issues. Mind to share about "3D forts"? sounds like "quickfort" but I ve find is complicated to use, or I just dumby :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4