Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Surviving Masterwork?  (Read 7042 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Surviving Masterwork?
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2013, 06:34:25 am »

3D forts simply mean that he builds small areas on many zlevels, instead of one sprawling complex on one level.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 11:48:38 am »

Meph is correct. I tend to build up or down, more than out. I admit to falling into a bit of a standard design.

Minecart-fed quantum stockpiles really help with this because they decrease the need for large amount of area for stockpiles.

Silver Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2013, 03:26:58 pm »

ahh i see, ya i also tend to split my fort into there own Z level, typicly farm/industry/dininghall and kitchen/bedrooms as the main, must say though meph you were a absolute beast with the V3 updates you kept adding so much content so often i wondered if you even slept :P, also dont suppose you got a twitter?

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2013, 07:31:17 am »

Oh Well so that means I ve using already 3d forts a lot, than improves the efficiency using more Z levels.

Them about twitting, I donīt think he need more "social wires", spending more time to posting tweet there and there, that will drag a lot of time IMO.

He have an reddit account too(?) if you wish stay informed about updates, or need help about Masterwork ( and probably other stuff DF related) you can go into the IRC channel.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2013, 07:40:27 am »

ahh i see, ya i also tend to split my fort into there own Z level, typicly farm/industry/dininghall and kitchen/bedrooms as the main, must say though meph you were a absolute beast with the V3 updates you kept adding so much content so often i wondered if you even slept :P, also dont suppose you got a twitter?
Sometimes I get a strange mood, do 18h work, 6h sleep, 18 work, so forth till finished product is done. Well... thats my usual modus operandi, its just atm not DF, but travel plans I'm working on. Its also not unheard of that I'd not sleep at all a night. :P

No twitter. I got a website in the works, but again, not DF related.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Silver Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2013, 04:44:07 pm »

Finally managed to finish up my MWDF military tutorial feel free to check it out mates and let me know what ya think. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVE5ziqk8b8&feature=youtu.be

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2013, 02:20:52 pm »

Finally managed to finish up my MWDF military tutorial feel free to check it out mates and let me know what ya think. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVE5ziqk8b8&feature=youtu.be

Great video. Thanks for the work. I can't believe how many of your tips just never occurred to me, like locking the ranged squad away to train.

Rather than switched cages in the Shooting Range, Pit/Ponding from above would allow faster replenishment of live targets.

Silver Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2013, 01:05:21 am »

Rather than switched cages in the Shooting Range, Pit/Ponding from above would allow faster replenishment of live targets.
Ya someone mentioned that, ill be adding a annotation for that in abit after i test it, i actually have a new one up for peeps to decide weather i should continue my earlier series or try something a little more "Evil"
Also for Meph <3, is there anyway to edit the evil biomes? im tired of every evil biome constantly  resurrecting the dead with no real reason for it "haunted is understandable, a necro tower sending undead around or comes resurrecting them himself, fine" i just want the challenge and fun of unique rains and general "fun-ness" without the whole "oh ive smashed this thing into a ruined puddle of mush a dozen times and it still gets up with the ability to kill" i use half evil and half neutral/good to deal with this but it sucks that i have to "i dont want to resort to atom smashing/lava/cage traps everywhere so on" also if they can be edited what other cool evil things could be added to it, anyone feel free to add to that last one ;)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2013, 04:11:46 pm »

Minecarts are now essential to me. But I mostly use them for quantum stockpiles. No track, just a stop with a cart on it and a receiving stockpile and the one square quantum one.

I keep meaning to try actually building a transportation system, but I do 3D forts and they are so efficient I don't really need much transport.

I have watched a lot of your series too, SD.  Always looking for new tricks.

How does that work?  I'm getting sick of keep 80 idlers around to quantum stockpile a ton of stone at once so I can churn out blocks for my megaconstructions.  I heard minecarts can carry something like 84 stone?  Do you designate the mine cart to be filled with stone and then dump the whole thing including the minecart so one dwarf pushes it all the way to the quantum stockpile?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2013, 04:17:03 pm »

That would be an amazing addition to the knowledge pool for the game.  It seems all of us have found strange ways to make the military system.  Mine is retracting a massive bridge system similar to your season 5 LP entrance.  When it retracts it drops the entire siege/ambush about 8 levels into my barracks.  While not the most sporting thing with a lot of goblins being injured or stunned from the fall, I do at least leave them armed.  Plus I like to picture the scene from the Hobbit in my head with all the dwarves sliding down the cave trap into a big cage, except this time it's the goblins being captured.
Thats actually very smart. I never had them drop on my barracks... dont the dwarves below take damage from enemies falling on them?

Well thank you.  I have had them fall on heads and cause some damage but I usually have the pit room a bit off to the side from the barracks.  On my next fort I'll have it more under control with a water and a lava tube leading into it. 

Maybe I'll give my military the bloodsteel spiked helmets and see if the goblins like falling on those.

I've sealed them in for archery training in the past too.  By the way I see that my marksdwarves are legendary 15+ archers but are usually low level marksman.  How do those skills work?  They seem to miss plenty so I assume that it relies more heavily on the marksman skill.

jonveck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2013, 09:30:19 pm »

@ Kamikazi:

OK, there are probably better guides out there, but here's how you do it.

1. Build a Track Stop, making sure to have it dump in a particular direction (e.g. North).
2. Next to that Track Stop (in this case, north of it), designate a 1-tile stockpile and indicate zero bins/barrels -- if you're making a general purpose stockpile, I designate it as animal because it defaults to no bins/barrels and I can use the query option to extend the stockpile to other categories of items.
3. Create another stockpile (it can be all around the Track Stop and 1-tile Stockpile, next to it, on a different floor) -- it should be reasonably sized, usually nine or more tiles, up to hundreds if you really wanted, or however many haulers you'll have working.
4. Craft a Minecart -- doing so in the carpenter's workshop means you can set this up as early as Day 1.
5. Enter the Routes menu [h] and create a new Route [r].
6. Assign your Minecart to the route with [v].
7. Move the cursor onto your Track Stop and designate it as a stop for this Route with [ s].
8. Select the Stop in the menu and press [enter].
9. Delete all but the first rule (i.e. Guide north immediately when full of desired items) with [ x] (if your 1-tile stockpile is not to the north of the Track Stop, I'm not sure it matters, but you can press [d] to change the direction -- I think it's only important that your Track Stop dump in the correct direction).
10. Move the cursor onto the second/larger stockpile that you created and create a stockpile link with [ s].
11. Press [enter] and enable or disable what the Minecart is meant to move from the large stockpile.

Now, your haulers will bring items to the large stockpile, then place them in the minecart, which will then dump it onto the 1-tile stockpile.  You can use multiple track stops/routes to separate different materials, different colored stone, or anything of your choosing.

Note:  do separate general goods (or at least armor) from quantum refuse piles.  If your 1-tile stockpile has refuse enabled, armor/clothes will rapidly degrade while sitting in it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:34:57 pm by jonveck »

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2013, 06:52:15 pm »

@ Kamikazi:

OK, there are probably better guides out there, but here's how you do it.

1. Build a Track Stop, making sure to have it dump in a particular direction (e.g. North).
2. Next to that Track Stop (in this case, north of it), designate a 1-tile stockpile and indicate zero bins/barrels -- if you're making a general purpose stockpile, I designate it as animal because it defaults to no bins/barrels and I can use the query option to extend the stockpile to other categories of items.
3. Create another stockpile (it can be all around the Track Stop and 1-tile Stockpile, next to it, on a different floor) -- it should be reasonably sized, usually nine or more tiles, up to hundreds if you really wanted, or however many haulers you'll have working.
4. Craft a Minecart -- doing so in the carpenter's workshop means you can set this up as early as Day 1.
5. Enter the Routes menu [h] and create a new Route [r].
6. Assign your Minecart to the route with [v].
7. Move the cursor onto your Track Stop and designate it as a stop for this Route with [ s].
8. Select the Stop in the menu and press [enter].
9. Delete all but the first rule (i.e. Guide north immediately when full of desired items) with [ x] (if your 1-tile stockpile is not to the north of the Track Stop, I'm not sure it matters, but you can press [d] to change the direction -- I think it's only important that your Track Stop dump in the correct direction).
10. Move the cursor onto the second/larger stockpile that you created and create a stockpile link with [ s].
11. Press [enter] and enable or disable what the Minecart is meant to move from the large stockpile.

Now, your haulers will bring items to the large stockpile, then place them in the minecart, which will then dump it onto the 1-tile stockpile.  You can use multiple track stops/routes to separate different materials, different colored stone, or anything of your choosing.

Note:  do separate general goods (or at least armor) from quantum refuse piles.  If your 1-tile stockpile has refuse enabled, armor/clothes will rapidly degrade while sitting in it.

Thank you worked like a charm.  I never would have figured that out on my own.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]