Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not seeing seeds  (Read 762 times)

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
Dwarves not seeing seeds
« on: October 08, 2013, 04:54:04 pm »

Hey so i have 67 Plump Helmet spawn according to my stocks screen (medium precision). But whenever dwarves try to plant the seeds they keep reporting that they "need Plump Helmet spawn" even though I have tons of them. Its very frustrating to see my farm barely being used This also happens with the Wild Strawberry farm (28 seeds) I have on the surface courtesy of seeds pilfered from the elves (Seized my first elven caravan this morning). Anyone know why this is happening? Thanks.

Oh it seems this is just happening intermittently. I have a lot of farmers so maybe they just keep grabbing seeds somebody else was about to grab and thus can't find their item.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:58:10 pm by Proudnerd »
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not seeing seeds
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 05:27:04 pm »

What kind of seed stockpile do you have? Are barrels permitted? The problem is a well known one were a dwarf takes a barrel full of bags full of seeds and goes wandering off to collect those seeds left behind by meals and such. And while doing that, the seeds are unavailable for planting. There is a variety of ways of minimizing the problem (but it won't go entirely away). The one I use is as follows.

1. Make a food stockpile that accepts seeds only and no barrels. Make this pile extremely small. In fact, the size of this pile determines the maximum number of dwarves that will be tasked at the same times to gather seeds from within the fortress.
2. Make a second food stockpile that also accepts seeds only and no barrels. This pile can be larger and needs to be close to the pile made in step 1. It's size should be approximately how many seed types you intend to use. It must be set to accept from links only, and have it take from the pile made in step 1.

Now, even with the above, you'll get from time to time a notice that a dwarf can't plant because no seeds are available. But it will be far less than what you're currently experiencing.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
Re: Dwarves not seeing seeds
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 10:23:58 pm »

What kind of seed stockpile do you have? Are barrels permitted? The problem is a well known one were a dwarf takes a barrel full of bags full of seeds and goes wandering off to collect those seeds left behind by meals and such. And while doing that, the seeds are unavailable for planting. There is a variety of ways of minimizing the problem (but it won't go entirely away). The one I use is as follows.

1. Make a food stockpile that accepts seeds only and no barrels. Make this pile extremely small. In fact, the size of this pile determines the maximum number of dwarves that will be tasked at the same times to gather seeds from within the fortress.
2. Make a second food stockpile that also accepts seeds only and no barrels. This pile can be larger and needs to be close to the pile made in step 1. It's size should be approximately how many seed types you intend to use. It must be set to accept from links only, and have it take from the pile made in step 1.

Now, even with the above, you'll get from time to time a notice that a dwarf can't plant because no seeds are available. But it will be far less than what you're currently experiencing.

Thank you, I'll try that sorry about the late reply!
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."