Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Pre-release] Master of Magic (gathering ideas)  (Read 2408 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
[Pre-release] Master of Magic (gathering ideas)
« on: December 24, 2013, 07:58:42 pm »

I am not ready to release it yet since I work all month and I want to add at least basic stuff I planned. I am also talking to amazing people like Putnam which help me with scripts, so expect a lot of fun possibilities. Currently I would like people to post what they think of the idea, any feedback helps me to maintain motivation to mod, and I trust in motivation in a whole.

I have to work on mod after 2 jobs like at 2AM-4AM, so I really need this motivation to get going!

It's based on Essential DF so expect all goodness from there. Also it uses Obsidian Tileset with moving grass.

This is the IMPLEMENTED list of features

- Dwarves and goblins live in towns.
- Elves live in caves.
-- It means you can find all historical figures in adventure mode.
- Dwarves and goblins build fortresses and tombs.
-- It means you can find appropriate gear as a dwarf adventurer in forts, then go raid goblin towers.
-- It also means that you start in a proper civilization with dwarves like you which you can hire, not between tall bold-chins.

- Three types of "disturbed dead": revenant, draugr, mummy.
- Mummy curse is not permanent anymore.
- Revenant curses you with dizziness and pain instead of skill loss.
- Draugr do not curse you, but they throw ice shards at you.

- Great axes are renamed to two-handed axes (for better understanding of what they are).
- Dwarves can now wield 2h swords and axes (although barely).
- Scimitar is no longer identical to short sword. It's now between short swords and longswords.
- long swords are called "longswords".
- Large daggers are renamed to "daggers".

There's a new "magic profession" tree which is going to be expanded. You can explore other planes through Planar Gate (currently just spawns baddies from time to time and has a chance to grant knowledge pieces) and use found knowledge to learn classes. With time the classes upgrade themselves with new names and abilities.

- New workshops
-- Archives - become adept->arcanist->wizard->archmage.
-- Church of the Depths - become cultist->elder cultist->deep one.
-- Infernal altar - currently no use, in the future "high profit for high risk" reactions.
-- Planar gate - fish outer planes for mana crystals, knowledge fragments and rare baddies.
-- Temple - become priest->high priest->prophet
-- Tribunal - become inquisitor->paladin->holy champion
-- Witch cauldron - become witch->warlock->demoniac

I plan to add necromancer skill tree and berserker skill tree. Necromancers will research undead and have a small chance to start zombie plague, and berserkers are an opposite of holy warriors, with some ability to graft their flesh and go in offence (as opposite of defence/protection from paladins).

In chime with Essential DF I plan to add many new megabeasts/semimegabeast types, but only as castes of existing ones (so different types of dragons will be castes of a dragon, no multiple creature types) to try to preserve FPS and speed of the game as much as possible.
Night creatures, in the same way.

Please leave your feedback and await this! I will try to release a good working version before the New Year.

P.S. I wanted to start a thread already to keep me motivated and make me work on the mod harder. Otherwise I could stall for a long time :).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 08:03:04 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [Pre-release] Master of Magic (gathering ideas)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 05:41:30 am »

I've reworked classes a bit.

Adept
Fairy fire (confusion, reduces skill rolls)
Energize (incr. speed, noexert)
Thick air (single target slow)
Arcanist
Mass slow
Mass haste
Magic missile (SOLID_GLOB projectile)
Mage
Stoneskin
Timestop
Hex (reduces size)
Archmage
Desintegrate
Burning hands
Mass hex

Novice
Cleansing
Priest
Mass restoration
High priest
Blinding light
Sanctuary (reduced material damage, no pain)
Prophet
Destroy undead

Squire
Luck (increased skill rolls)
Witchhunter
Silence (silences some spellcasters)
curse immune
Inquisitor
Break will (slow, reduced willpower/str),
Exorcism
Spiritual training (no pain, no fear)
Inner strength
Repel demons
Paladin
Blinding light
Destroy demons
Destroy undead
Mass empower
Sanctuary
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 10:24:47 am »

Your new Genesis has Clockworks and Steampunk and Dragons. Why not add this magic-centered mod as a part into Genesis? It would make a nice addition, and people could have both, instead of just chosing one.

I just ask, because there are so many mods, and so few players of mods. It would make more sense to improve an already existing one, instead of making a new one, at least from my point of view.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 04:05:07 pm »

Because I want to build it on top of Essential DF. Genesis suffers from a "MOAR" disease a bit :). Also I will release it as a patch for vanilla and part of Genesis, so it's all good.

I hope I understood your questions correctly. I just returned late after a corporate New Year party, so I am suffering from a dizziness syndrome a bit :3.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬