Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Plump Helmet Man Overgrowth  (Read 13672 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Plump Helmet Man Overgrowth 0.03: The Rebels Planted Mushrooms in my Brain
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 01:34:08 pm »

Ah, yes, party interactions are always a treat... like the cake that, when eaten during a party, spawns a living cake megabeast that can only be killed by blowing out all the candles before it eats you...

Or the playable race that you had to be careful of letting them get too happy, because they would try and pull off crazy party stunts... like breathing dragonfire as a GREETING.  Fun times.

I don't know of any way to have an invader plant a sleeper agent that would actually change loyalties to the invader's civ (maybe DFHack could do it, I'm not sure) but there are a thousand ways of infecting a dwarf with a syndrome and a thousand and one ways to create chaos in a fort.  The hard part is creating just enough chaos to make the game more !!fun!! without ruining it.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 08:26:19 pm »

I'd like to submit my formal objection to this mod not being titled "Fungus Amungus"  :-\
So much pun, wasted.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 02:34:25 am »

I'll be sure to use that name for a future update.

It seems that my original research concerning total fort conversion may have been faulty.  I'll have to wait until more research on undead civ member behavior is done, until then, mushoomize at your own risk.

EDIT: So it turns out that turning your entire fort into spore thralls can result in a game over if they don't have any exposure to non-turned creatures for a few months or if they all go into attack mode at once.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 05:15:19 pm »

I have a question about the 'alter skill rolls to 100%, 0% of the time' syndrome. Is it there just to provide a marker for the synclass-only syndromes, or does the game need it for anything?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 05:59:39 pm »

I have a question about the 'alter skill rolls to 100%, 0% of the time' syndrome. Is it there just to provide a marker for the synclass-only syndromes, or does the game need it for anything?

It's just there to provide a marker.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 06:11:38 pm »

I think giving an interaction that does nothing is better, since that at least can be stacked on top of without fear of replacing the original or simply not working.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 12:55:51 am »

Did you know that your plump helmet men give 110 drinks when brewed? Maybe I should make them a bit more expensive at embark.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 02:37:51 am »

Did you know that your plump helmet men give 110 drinks when brewed? Maybe I should make them a bit more expensive at embark.

They multiply quickly anyway, and making them multiply slower would defeat the purpose.  They do have two tissues which are functionally identical though - by adjusting their relative thickness and making only one layer edible/brewable the risk/reward ratio can be adjusted.  Just make sure they're still useful enough to make them worth having.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 02:51:30 am »

Well, atm they cost 3 points at embark, and if you have 7 dwarves, embarking with 3-4 plump helmet men should be fine. You then butcher them instantly, brew 4x110, booze-cooking half of it, resulting in 220 drinks and 220 meals for 12 embark points.

I might make one layer edible-only, and not brewable, and raise their value a bit. That should be enough, they do have enough downsides (you know that best), and people should still have a reason to get them.

I just wanted to let you know, I wasnt sure if you realized how many drinks they actually do make.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 08:11:01 am »

I guess the ratio is quite off, especially since you can support an entire city-sized fortress on a handful of them, which makes the danger aspect moot.

They're actually not as volitile as people think.  As long as you let them wander as they please they won't revolt unless they're in the majority.  But since they're advertised as being dangerous people prefer to pasture them out of the way, causing them to underestimate the number of creatures and making them more likely to attack.

Optimally you should be able to sustain an entire fortress on a population of PHM that is much smaller than the dwarf population, but not so much smaller that a sudden unchecked series of births or a sudden drop in dwarf population can't shift the balance and trigger a rebellion.  Maybe I should make them only count intelligent creatures so the animal population doesn't throw them off.
Pages: 1 [2]