Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Normal Updates or Breach adamantine without caution or preparation?

No, I want to see the fort cave in on itself naturally (may be a little boring but the fortress goes on longer.)
- 7 (26.9%)
DOITDOITDOITDOIT-ad infinitum-
- 19 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 41

Author Topic: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civ Forge Community/Story Fortress: FINISHED  (Read 94545 times)

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
Re: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civilization Forge Community Mountainhome!
« Reply #555 on: April 21, 2014, 12:14:32 pm »

It'll be some time before their goods manage to go to the depot. We're still trying to pawn off all the shields we get from invaders until all the smelters are up and running.

I actually meant that they will produсe goods for Ozkakurrith, bargaining it for the stuff they need.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 22, 2014, 05:41:46 pm »

Dorf!Dreamerghost throws out his two cents about the whole idea and goes off to investigate.

Spoiler: The spy hunt (click to show/hide)

What will dorf!Dreamerghost find? Or, what will find him?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:16:53 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 22, 2014, 07:00:03 pm »

That reminds me, I need to get the community contributions post up to date.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 22, 2014, 07:13:41 pm »

Been playing Last Federation and thought to put this off until tomorow. After 5 times of "the most peacful race" comiting genocide for a new planet before some of the other races become spacefaring I decided that I might just want to write something up while waiting for a pach.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 24, 2014, 07:43:30 am »

Well, little OOC update, no trade with the homeland. A merchant went and got himself shot in the neck, which of course lead to his death. Another merchant then flipped their shit and started punching their own pack animal. Just a heads up for later.

Also, the community contributions post is now up to date far as I know.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 19, 2014, 05:09:55 pm »

14th Timber, 233 cont.

The caravan guards went to work quickly and tore into the disorganized raiders while the wagons sped by quick as they could. Dreamerghost also reported an injured dwarf, Quarry had been out bringing in a bundle of crossbow bolts that the enemy donated some time ago when a horse-mounted sand raider did a ride by with his maul. Parson says she'll live, but she won't be winning or dancing contests anytime soon.

The Vamarii did their part as well, some of their guards joining the battle and herding some of the raiders into the perimeter traps.

However, the merchants from home turned and left, citing that we failed to adequately protect them. I demanded to know how we did that, and I was directed to a dead merchant who'd been shot in the neck by one of the Sand Raider sergeants. I told them it was that merchants own fault for fleeing off the caravan path and into the raiders while the rest of the troops were distracted killing other would-be bandits.

Then they pointed out a merchant come absolutely flipped his shit over the first one's death. A caravan guard was quick to kill the enraged merchant, who had set to beating his camel senselessly.

A human diplomat and his bodyguard retinue arrived as well, joining the battle alongside Thor and Toad. One of the several giant tigers I'm told was constantly keeping Toad on her back barely able to fend off the attacks went down with a single hard swipe from Thor's fell skullcracker. With the human diplomat ordering his two protectors to engage the enemy and to cover his advance to the fortress rather than stay by his side, he's certainly earned a little respect from me. I was also informed that yet another very large force of Sand Raider cavalry attacked, this batch armed with spears, but according to reports from the ramparts, they were ina mostly disorganized state of retreat.

Evidently we also have a combination of a blacksmith named Ezum and the perimeter traps to thank for preventing at least one dwarven death. Quarry had suffered a horrible leg injury while bringing in some salvage and Ezum risked her own life to drag the poor sod back in.

21st Timber, 233

After over a year of waiting what we thought inert eggs finally gave way to cave crab nymphs! It'll be nice to have those handy in the event of a disaster.

We also finally managed to fish Firefly out of the water, much to the horror of his wife.

He hadn't quite started to bloat and rot yet, but was pretty damn close.

[Note, I have enabled fastdwarf out of convienience/irritation here, as work had ground to a halt in favor of hauling ore across all sectors of labor. This was due to the absolutely immense quanity we turned out to be sitting on that I hadn't kept track of and dwarves were going to rot if they didn't haul ass.]

24th Timber, 233

The water continues to fall. We may need to figure out a way to  plug that hole, or at least have one dwarf brave and stupid enough to try to do it. There's been a sighting of some minor flooding onto the cavern shores, which could very well lead to the fortress being submerged in a much slower fashion.

It's such a shame too, that waterfall is great for morale around here.

1st Moonstone, 233

Winter's here, felt like it never would.  It's back to finding busy work for everyone, since ore hauling is finally done with, and the dead are buried, those that needed burying anyway. Quarry's been patched up, Parson had some of the subordinate medics take care of him. He'll be right as rain in no time provided he doesn't try dancing for a few months.

5th moonstone, 233

Nish named his shield. Only a matter of time before our surface crazy infected him eh journal?

11th moonstone, 233

12th Moonstone, 233

Sent out bucket brigades to deal with the fire. The grass out here is always so dry that in some places the dragon's fire just made it go up in a puff of smoke. Anyway, they're being sent to save the remains of our merchants. They deserve better than having their bodies incinerated by some undead beast.

21st Moonstone, 233

Our first adamantine wafers have been made, and with it shall soon come forth the doom of our enemies! I've commissioned Anvil to make the holy blades, with the first adamantine masterwork to be given to King Onul. I've also barred Freetowners from coming to even look at the metal. They want to be insubordinate ingrates? Then no holy metal for them. I've also made it abundantly clear if anyone barring the metalworkers goes “funny,” tries to use the holy metal for any stupid projects, they're getting locked in the workshop and left for dead.

No exceptions.

27th Moonstone, 233

Reports of the blob monster has put it somewhere below the hospital, making gurgling noises. By year's end I'll lure it into the hospital and introduce it to one of our new swords.

---

Okay! So, another update! A short update, but an update. We got dragon meaty goodness to help fill our bellies thanks to our mighty Colonel! Turns out several metric fucktons of glancing hits can still take out a zombie dragon. Also an iron sword is insufficient for fighting a dragon. Good thing Shutbite's being retired soon.

And Mephanesteras, to answer you before, Anvil's peers consist of Senshuken, Rivet, Morgan, Ward, and Zerus.  Construction of Freetown OOC continues, and is slightly stalled out by the cavern lake. Oh, and part of the savanna/shrubbery/forest burned down.

Anyway, there's the update! Hope you guys enjoy.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 20, 2014, 03:46:58 am »

"From the personal log of Alligator, mayor of Freewn:

There've been rumours about adamantine being excavated and melted in the forges already. It's also said that Splint threatened to wall in any metalworker who tries to use said metal for any "stupid project". That's so typical of him... Anyway, thanks to Selore, I was able to look through his correspondence. Apparently, he prohibited Freetown craftsdwarves from any use of adamantine. If only I could get at least one bit... Have been working on a new device recently, called "ballistic vest". It is composed of adamantine strands and linen, and it might offer great protection against projectiles. Quite a useful thing for a civilian nowdays... Maybe I can convince Talonis or Dreamerghost to "borrow" some material for the research.

In another news, Varmarii caravan was ambushed not long ago. Human diplomat arrived as well, sending his praetorian guards forward and making a run towards our gates. One of the dwarves was also hurt. I guess, both Ozkakurrith and Freetown should pay more attention to signalisation systems. Probably some pillboxes with F.R.O.G. installed in them? The senate also proposed to organise a "Miners guard" - basically, a militia squad armed with shields and picks. That might be useful.

Glory to Freetown!"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:32:02 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 21, 2014, 04:11:35 pm »

Alligator, mayor of freetown, (as the split off crafstdwarves called themselves) approached me today with a most interesting offer. Well, offer itself wasn’t that interesting, they wanted adamantine and there are none who wouldn’t want adamantine. But the simple fact that they trusted me enough to ask something like stealing adamantine for them was most interesting. I wished to get on the good side of this “freetown”, and here they were, offering me a chance to do so in secrecy without risking anger of overseer. Too bad their request was not one I could fulfil.

Sadly, there is no chance of me getting any adamantine for you guys. Both raw adamantine and processed wafers are watched as if they were the last barrel of ale in a sober fort. I had seen rather impressive artistic workings of adamantine, and I would like to see what you could do, but overseer is more interested in how many lives military usage of adamantine could save. I might be able to get you something if adamantine gear becomes abundant enough, though with our bookkeeper, it is unlikely.

I can understand using adamantine expressly for military gear, but he threatened to kill anyone who decides to make an artifact with it." Alligator sneered in disgust. “You know full well that fey moods can’t be controlled, let alone possessions. I only want a few pieces to avoid unnecessary deaths.  Miners had found a whole motherload of the stuff. A stone or two won’t result in half a squad going out naked.”

She sighed.

Though if you can’t do it then there is no helping it. We’ll just have to hope that we get lucky with our creativity until the whole military is in gear.

Don’t lose hope yet. The miners have examined the cluster that they found, and they believe that it is only a part of a greater vein. They even had some theories about where it could be, if the vein didn’t break down into smaller pieces. Anyway, it should be around here somewhere” I pulled out a map and unfolded it.”Right here, hundred ad seventy urists away from the unveiled part. If you tried to mine what was already found, Splint could legally accuse you of stealing, although if you found some adamantine by yourselves, it would be legally yours. I might not look like it, But I know the double fortress mountain laws quite well. Here, you can have the map. And also another tip while I’m at it: Get some traps in your smuggling canal, I won’t be there to fish out sand raiders every night.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:25:59 am by DreamerGhost »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 15, 2014, 10:08:34 pm »

I am making this post for two reasons. First off is I am starting (yes, another,) game soon, using Masterwork, Capitalism, and a small party of ex-convicts. Second is a spoiler for the next Carryscar update. If there's a title for "Biggest Attention Whore in Bay 12" or "Most Community Games Started," I'd probably win it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still appreciate all the love you guys give these games though, don't let anything else make you think different!  :D

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 16, 2014, 08:00:20 am »

5th Opal, 233

It's been a week, maybe a week and a half. The leak has finally been sealed, through no end of complaining from the masons. They kept getting dumped down the stairs as they worked but they finally managed to seal the hole.

We've finally gotten enough adamantine processed and ready to be shaped in Anvil's second forge, this one powered by the blood of the earth. Rather surprisingly, King Onul insisted that the Cazadors and Ripperjacks get first pick of the swords, so anyone desiring a new sword is welcome to them. And, as much as it pains me to do so, I will have to take up that insistence. The Torrid Flame did a good job of hammering home that Shutbite, as venerable a weapon as it is, is ill-suited to carrying the day in my hands now... It had difficulty with the great beasts of the underground, and could only best the Torrid Flame because of the dark magic driving it on being a flimsy and fickle mistress.

It has to be done, no matter how much it pains me to do so.

7th Opal, 233

The Bone Carvers of both Carryscar and Freetown  have lodged complaints about a lack of materials to make totems and training munitions, and likewise, Firecrazy's been complaining about the lack of said munitions, saying he can't train marksdwarves if they've no ammo to train with. Due to the massive numbers of yaks, cows, goats, and other large animals, I've put out an order that all large adult livestock such as aforementioned yaks and goats, be slaughtered for raw materials. We don't want for food, so that's just a bonus. We'll likely be swimming in meat be the end of Obsidian.

I've also put several animals up for adoption: Several small 'vermin' birds, not that I expect them to be taken, a peregrine falcon, great barn owl, kestrel, honey badger, monitor lizard, a few cavies and rabbits, several domestic fowl, and a single exception to the mature livestock cull, a rather solid looking mare, probably descended from human war horses. Such animals tend to breed good mounts and good meat, so I think we'll be hanging onto her.

8th Opal, 233

I've been informed of two deaths down in the magma furnaces. Meng Furnacefates the Thresher and long-time resident and Jeweler Minkot Safteytown were killed down there. Meng was assisting with construction of our new blast furnace and was killed by a Fire imp according to Anvil; a near miss that struck the ceiling ignited his clothing, which promptly spread to his beard. Minkot however was killed by a giant rat which had been causing trouble for weeks, interrupting work and failing to take the waving limbs and angry shouting that was meant to herd it back into the caverns the right way. I've dispatched Sergeant Nish to deal with the monster, now named Flierfern.

Minkot will be missed though. While Meng had few friends, Minkot's death not only hit Anvil hard (who witnessed Minkot's grisly demise,) but 13 other dwarves when they heard about it.

12th Opal, 233

Cerol and Toad have taken up our first Adamantine swords, replacing the ones they've been using for some time. Cerol one of exceptional make, Toad superior. Others, like Dreamerghost and Dragonfly have decided to retain the weapons they have however, saying that the weapons are of sufficient quality to make up for their weight.

13th Opal, 233

I just realized Minkot was our only Strand Extractor.

Well.... Fuck.

14th Opal, 233

A rather rotund fellow named Rigoth Lakeworks has volunteered to take Minkot's place as strand extractor. Apparently to him it's not much different from removing the bones of a guppy or pulling a hook out of a salmon's head.

The opening the imps used to fire on Meng has also been covered over by the magma extraction pipes of our new blast furnace as well, which has been assigned to mass produce steel. I've also gotten an official roster from Freetown, if only for clerical work, on it's tiny militia. Seems they came to their senses to an extent, but the poor sods are relying on light armor and spears to protect that miserable slum. No skin off our backs if they want that leftover kit. I've filed their unit under the name of Troglodytes. Is it  petty to give them an insulting name? Yeah. Do I care? Not in the slightest. And do I still get a chuckle out of it?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah...

-
=MILITIA OF FREETOWN=
Trapper Sergeant Shorast Mengaval
Woodcrafter Speardwarf Rith Dodokmishos
Gem SetterSpeardwarf Risen Oddomstelid
(We need no fancy title unlike a certain other group of reptile-loving speardwarves!)

=REQUISITION=
3 Leather Armor Suits
3 Chain Shirts and Coifs
3 Metal Helmets
6 Gauntlets
6 Metal Boots
3 Wooden Shields
3 Spears

=TRADE OFFER=
In exchange for the above, we offer access to assistance from the Cave Dragon and Bugbat squads when necessary, as well as Carryscar access to Freetown manufactured goods stores.

Signed,
Alligator
Mayor of Freetown

GLORY TO FREETOWN
-

I sent them some of what they asked. We don't need access to the goods they produce right now, and regardless of them being borderline traitors, they need only send for help and we'll come running to save our fellow dwarves. Gonna write the stuff I had sent down to give to Solon later.

-
3 Leather Armor Suits
3 Iron Chain Shirts and Coifs
3 Steel Helmets
6 Copper Gauntlets
6 Copper Boots
3 Wooden Targes
2 Steel Spears
1 Incindium Spear for Sergeant Mengaval
1 Artifact Bone Leggings for Sergeant Mengaval

Note: Remember to tell Solon so he can pass the equipment requests to Ilral for production. Along with thier kit, we'll need a total of 30 suits of armor, along with an additional 10 sets of chain armor for the Wolverines and I need our best bowyer to make better crossbows. Less weight means faster rates of fire which means more crippled foes.
-

Since we need our armor to be of a certain standard of quality, Senshuken, as our best Armorer, has been assigned his own magma forge, with his first work orders upon being to outfit the Troglodytes. Of course since most of what they'll face is wildlife they won't get too much of the good stuff.

4th Obsidian, 233

The Winter patrols have set out. Thanks to distance, recycling of of enemy gear is slow going, as has the smelting of iron and acquisition of coal for creation of steel.

The east road is also complete, and the south road nearly so. Also found we have a large quanity of kimberlite blocks, so I need to figure out something to do with them.

11th Obsidian, 233

Since steel is in short supply right now I've put in an order for enough copper mail shirts for everyone. We only have enough steel to make 30 helmets, and the bulk order means I'll need to restrict who uses the forges. To that end, any who wish to use the forges must be considered 'Great' or better, in effect meaning one must be a forgemaster to use these two extra forges. While I'm sure some metalsmiths will be upset, it needs to be done to ensure only quality equipment reaches our soldiers and quality items our merchants.

17th Obsidian, 233

Got a report of some xelics and a frost giant diplomat. The Diplomat took the unroaded north route, the xelics ambushed the Wolf Spiders; 7 total, mostly pikebugs, four of which died, plus the lasher sergeant.

A snatcher was also found, also a xelic, as well as several dead bugbear scouts. Maskwolf ran the would-be kidnapper down and bludgeoned it into an unrecognizable mass according to Sergeant Doren. He also found a second on his way back in. The dwarf has quite the hate for snatchers, understandably so. Wound up panting the Hammerhead barracks' northeast windows with xelic blood. Tholtig also caught a bugbear scout. Poor son of a bitch didn't see the battle axe coming.

Doren and Degel also found an ambush, and expertly dispatched it! The bugbear menace can't stand against solid dwarven warriors!

-

I've been getting reports of ambush parties and snatchers all over the area outside. Good thing we have those patrols out there!

19th Obsidian, 233

The enemy comes in force. And with horse. Fucking chaos dwarves. I've sent the Hammerheads to defend the inbound hobgoblin caravan. I'll be leading my own troops plus the Wolverines to the southwest where a large number workers were gathering salvage to sell. I haven't the foggiest where most of the patrol members are. I can only pray to Kerlig that they survive this battle unharmed.

[As always, the battle was a chaotic mess thanks to the mounts. Highlights of the battle will be in the OOC section.]

20th Obsidian, 233

We lost Titus in the attack yesterday. A group of trolls fell upon him and claimed his life, the Hammerheads were only a minute away when the fatal blow was struck. They set upon the trolls in a rage for the well-loved carpenter and destroyed them with no mercy. With them was a hobgoblin warrior who fought well at our side. Hearing praise for a greenskin come from Thor was exceptional!

Unfortunately we also lost one of Firecrazy's marksdwarves. The one enemy archer in the assault hit Stodir twice, the first piercing a lung the second her heart. She apparently managed to loose one more bolt before she dropped dead though.

Assistant Physician Morul was injured as well, having been shot three times in the leg and stomach by the same invader. This didn't go unanswered for, as Mad Bomber cut off the archer and after her horse was shot out from under her, delivered a single punch to the bastard's skull and ended our irritation permanently.

The enemy was quick to call it a day after the loss of all all but two of their officers (two mace lords,) as well as all of their trolls. I can safely say that I'm pleased by our victory. It may not have been a pretty win, but the price in lives could have been considerably greater.

21st Obsidian, 233

Apparently Rith, our Bowyer, had been screaming some kind of black speech and started collecting materials during the fighting. While it's a shame he won't become a legend in his craft, I'm sure Firecrazy will be more than happy to take up the exquisite weapon, provided it's a crossbow anyway.

I swear to the gods if he ends up making a damn blowgun like that idiot who got put in charge of the Bowyer's Guild back south...

2nd Granite, 234

Happy New Year journal! Looks like Rith made a... Well, I dunno what he made. I looked through an old 'Bows and hammers' book Solon had apparently this longarm is meant to use a variety of miniature hammers, swords, and axes. Shame, it's never going to be used, but I'm putting Rith on crossbow production. Really pretty though honestly. Its name is Caughtlock, the Right of Nature and it depicts King Onul's crowning 9 years ago.

17th Granite, 234

Something doesn't feel right...

We've gotten used to hearing that freak of nature make all kinds of noise, but... It sounds different. Closer. I've tasked the Fortress Guard to investigate. I have a very bad feeling about that noise.

-

The Peacekeepers found a horrible sight inside the hospital. Two dwarves were found dead, one the assistant physician who'd been hospitalized in the battle topside, the other a wood burner. The hero of the incursion was Peacekeeper Zulban, who dealt the fatal blow on the salt beast.

On the wood burner's corpse by the badly damaged hatch was a note promising him a reward should he let the beast in the wreak havoc. Many were quick to turn their anger on Freetown, but I know something else is wrong here.

Talonis is right, there's an enemy agent in our midst.

Update, I chose you!

Hey guys, got another update for you! Several dwarves were lost in yet another chaos dwarf assault, and two to the salty blob, which would have broken its way in anyway as the hatch keeping it out was on its XXlast legsXX. The population has dropped from 203 to 197. May not seem like much, but several of these losses were both highly skilled and well loved, as morale has plummeted with at least one unhappy dwarf, a Peacekeeper no less.

Highlights of the topside battle are Stodir managing to fire one more shot before expiring, a Sharpshooter fatally one-hit-kill punching a chaos dwarf into a ditch, Dreamerghost biting a horse's throat out, and our adamantine gear being put to the test and paying off: Toad and Cerol outpaced their peers with their lighter weapons and even managed to run down several horses (though admittedly some were wounded by crossbow fire beforehand.)

A new poll is up regarding the 'enemy agent.' Should I OOC begin arranging more accidents in some manner? Set up spear traps rigged to a lever in Freetown to frame the craftsdwarves? You decide! I wanna have this place suffer some kind of disaster not brought on by the adamantine veins.

Anyway, happy update!

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 16, 2014, 08:34:44 am »

Seems that dorf!dreamerghost took after the overseer in habbit of killing his oponents without using hands. Or legs. 8)

I won't have access to a computer until monday, so no story untill then, but I think that it's about time dorf!dreamerghost encounters somone durning his nocturnal patrols around Carryscar.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 16, 2014, 09:47:21 am »

Heeeeey, it's cool.

Also figured I'd share that it turns out Z-levels are no defense. it just takes building destroyers a very, very, very long time to destroy the hatches from below.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 16, 2014, 02:32:45 pm »

It wasn't your doing? O.o I thought haches were invulnerable from below.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 16, 2014, 02:36:29 pm »

It wasn't your doing? O.o I thought haches were invulnerable from below.

It was my doing, but upon inspection the hatch was severely damaged, Being an XXexceptional hatchXX, indicating that the FB was indeed tearing it apart. Just really reeeeeeeeeeeeally slowly. So it was going to break in anyway.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 24, 2014, 05:59:35 pm »

When total population is counted in hundrets, all fortress counts as a nightclub.

Spoiler: A bump in the night (click to show/hide)

Nothing like tricking people into walking to the hospital, so that you wouldn't need to drag their unconcious body there.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:09:20 pm by DreamerGhost »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 41