Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Normal Updates or Breach adamantine without caution or preparation?

No, I want to see the fort cave in on itself naturally (may be a little boring but the fortress goes on longer.)
- 7 (26.9%)
DOITDOITDOITDOIT-ad infinitum-
- 19 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 41

Author Topic: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civ Forge Community/Story Fortress: FINISHED  (Read 94669 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civilization Forge community game now in progress!
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2013, 07:33:28 pm »

I'll consider it but unless they'll put a human-ish sized target down in a relatively quick manner I probably won't have any rangers unless there's a dire threat that the melee troops can't take on, at least for a year or two save a token support force.

New poll up! How will we live?

Overland: Walled settlement topside with watchtowers and such. Either building material is acceptable. Basements and cellars for storage, and perhaps a tunnel system linking all the buildings just in case the main doors are too dangerous to use.
PROS: No cave adaptation and everyone with a weapon can respond to threats rapidly or run like hell into any given building for safety if something goes wrong.
CONS: Takes forever to secure a settlement of this nature, up to a year or longer.

Standard: Build underground. Nothing flashy save for special areas.
PROS:Standard benefits.
CONS: Cave adaptation, may take military a little longer to respond to a threat.

Caverns: Build into the caverns themselves with limited reshaping.
PROS: Silk in abundance, open areas can be used as farmland. Areas that won't be used can be scouted for minerals, relative safety from surface invaders.
CONS: Trolls, trogs, tribals, and others pose a serious threat. Cave adaptation and distance can hamper military response times, takes longer to get goods to the depot.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civilization Forge community game now in progress!
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2013, 07:56:50 pm »

Aboveground! We'll be a unique breed of dwarf!
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2013, 07:58:40 pm »

I think that the caverns would be the most challenging and interesting.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2013, 08:43:52 pm »

Dugouts above!
Grass roofs for all!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2013, 10:19:24 pm »

i suggest a, compromise of standard and overland live, most of our guys live above ground, but our miners will be toiling away in the mines (of course, you can make the mine entrence sheltered from the sun to provide adequte protection from the sky if cave adaption comes into play) this fort will be unique amoung all else, with the watchtowers and kill-yards filled with traps and places where millitary dwarves get the advantage against their primal foes...

yeah, i think mostly overland with the mines being for the underground bit.

plus when you invade hell itll be easier to beat them down...lots of time to place traps and do a deathgate by making a goblin/troll arena against the beings of hell! we might get lucky and have easy to kill monsters...and if goblins start invading hell on our orders all the better! leaves us a chance to take the best pickings! Heck we might even make hell our rightfull tame puppy if we go assuieguys way and building THE WALL!!! around hells borders...and if were feeling paticularly bored we can mine out a massive pit down INTO hell from the topside settelments...thus making hell open to the world and the dwarves living at the bottom with our sunberries and crops (of course the hole will be 1/4 the size of hell to prevent the entire thing from going in, and we can have staircases lining the way around the hole! with plenty of crops aqnd living quarters!)

thatll be the point where toady will have to make a even worse place then hell to compete with what ive just unleashed...

meh that might not happen, with fps death and all..but hey if we make it this fort will be AWSOME!
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>
<dying's half the fun, and all the FUN!>-Grombardrim

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2013, 10:22:14 pm »

Honestly I'm not much of a trap guy. I place them at choke points and where snatchers/ambushers are likely to blunder into them, but trap halls are beyond my ability to care about making them. Plus I have more fun risking soldiers and watching invaders get tossed about like rag-dolls and sliced to ribbons by good ol' dorf power.

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2013, 10:25:39 pm »

i noticed you said nothing about a hole into hell

this...is gonna be awsome...i can only imagine it will be like making erebor and isengard (when it went into industrial age) combined...dear armok...this will be dwarfy!!!

(seriously a digging project like that? easily enough matterial for the WALL!!! yes i have to do that...)
<Chaos? Normal-, Death on untold levels? eeehhh need more popcorn, Adamantium? Shiney! The Circus? Isnt that where the clowns live? Burning elves and using their race as a insult-Definetly a dwarf!>

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2013, 11:34:29 pm »

I like cavern forts. They're fun and interesting.

Plus, they're not vulnerable to Sand Raiders riding flying creatures.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Forrest

• Bay Watcher
  • The doctor is in.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2013, 01:13:32 am »

Could you dwarf me as a surgeon named Forrest, with the profession name of dwarf-butcher?

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2013, 02:34:50 am »

I'll consider it but unless they'll put a human-ish sized target down in a relatively quick manner I probably won't have any rangers unless there's a dire threat that the melee troops can't take on, at least for a year or two save a token support force.

What about flying goblins and other flying enemies? You'll need rangers to take them out.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2013, 02:55:24 am »

That would fall under "Dire threat the melee troops can't take on." Admittedly if the riders lack ranged weapons themselves they're more a nuisance that needs to be grounded but still.

Like I said, ranged combat has a time and place, and I don't like micromanaging ammunition for weapons that are fairly inefficient for their task. We'll have some, but not that many because we shouldn't need that many if the enemy does what I expect (charge headlong into a meat grinder of  hammers and swords.)

Icecoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2013, 03:36:24 am »

I would like to join this fortress too. The name is Rakust Icecoon, brewer - mad alchemist.  :D Does not matter what gender.
I voted for standard fortress, but I will be happy with any outcome.
"This is a well crafted billon statue of Urist McChickenlover.
The item is a well-designed image Urist McChickenlover the dwarf and a chicken in billon.
Urist McChickenlover is embracing the chicken."

Colony Alpha <<<Warhammer 40k, Squats, Orkz, Eldar and more... >>>

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2013, 10:51:01 pm »

Welcome aboard. Alright guys, I'm gonna do a coin toss to decide our settlement plans. Caverns won both the coin toss and the vote. Next update shall reflect the group's choice.

ChaosMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2013, 11:28:26 am »

welp, looks like its the cavern for us lads and lasses!

[Journal enry Granite 3rd]

Well, heard that some caravan got itslef stuck in the middle of nowhere, the current duke is making life difficult for the rest of us dwarves, alwasy going on about beds and bolts, plus hes been muttering around lately on animal skins for leather, why do we need leather? we got cold hard steel in the magma forges! Bah! i dont care, well as long as i do my job as a seige operator and a part time miner everything should go alright, Right?

Here's to those poor ass bastards in the middle of nowhere! bet they were wishing they had our drinks! HA!

[Journal Entry ends]

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2013, 12:04:44 pm »

Diary of Dreamer. Entry 1

As I layed down on the battlefield, blood flowing freely from my wounds, I contemplated on what jappened and why. This seemed like just another raid on a poorly defended minor town. I and my goblin bretheren were more than prepeared for this. We brought several ogres and numerous war beasts. They were hard to train and costly to maintain, but t'was better they be on rhe front lines, charging into arrows than us. At first, battle was going perfectly well. Ogres and beasts easily tore appart towns millitia, and we turbed towards the buildings. Alas, this time, our wictory was not meant to be. A party of greatly skilled adventurers were staying in town that day. Four of them, an elven bowwoman, two swordsmen and a dwarwen hammerer tore through our front like paper. We tried to fight them, but they were too good. I ordered my troops to run, although they didint need much encouragement to do so. Sadly, while that blasted elf was still standing, she wouldn't allow many of my comrades to escape. I charged at her, knowing that single touch of my hand would suficce. First i therw my axe, then my glowe followed. While she easily dodged my axe, the glowe surprised her enough for me to fet close. Sadly, I underesstimated the perception of other adventurers. Instead of naming my charge mad and going into futile pursuit of my former allies, they saw danger in my outstreched hand, and one of swordsmen promptly cut it off. Then the hammerdwarf rushed to me and crushed my ribcage. Foolishly, I tried to repair myself,  and take them down. Now, I was little more than a stump. All of my limbs were broken, and my skull was visibly cracked. I didn't  have enough energy to regenerate. But then, my salvation came in a form of dwarwen looter. Carelessly, he tried to peel off my mangled iron breasplate. As he was trying to get a better grip, his unprotected hand touched my flesh. Instantly, he died and devouring process began. My flesh fused with his, taking over dwarf's bodily functions. Ten minutes later, as I stood over up on legs that were now mine, I knew that i had to escape quicly, before I met somone who knew previous owner of this flesh. Sadly, taking over a new body did not grant it's memories. After I grabed some clothes scatered about to cover myself, I moved towards a group of dwarwes who seemed to have enough suplies for a long journey.

OOC: Splint, your dwarwes are a bunch of guards who simply decided to make a fortress in the middle of nowhere. How are you going to squeze in migrants into the story?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:08:59 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 41