Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Normal Updates or Breach adamantine without caution or preparation?

No, I want to see the fort cave in on itself naturally (may be a little boring but the fortress goes on longer.)
- 7 (26.9%)
DOITDOITDOITDOIT-ad infinitum-
- 19 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41

Author Topic: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civ Forge Community/Story Fortress: FINISHED  (Read 94700 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civilization Forge community game now in progress!
« Reply #195 on: December 05, 2013, 02:00:18 pm »

I probably did Icecoon.

And we did, but that was still topside in the wagon. The stuff we mined is already in the stockpile waiting to be smelted, but we also found some platinum and that's already being made into goblets. We might be able to trade with the elves this year, but it's already half way through hematite, so I doubt it. but the humans and silver xelics will get some nice stuff otherwise.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civilization Forge community game now in progress!
« Reply #196 on: December 05, 2013, 02:02:11 pm »

I probably did Icecoon.

And we did, but that was still topside in the wagon. The stuff we mined is already in the stockpile waiting to be smelted, but we also found some platinum and that's already being made into goblets. We might be able to trade with the elves this year, but it's already half way through hematite, so I doubt it. but the humans and silver xelics will get some nice stuff otherwise.

Ah. Well, always good to get stuff stockpiled in preparation for useful things. Would be nice to get some really high quality elemental bars or equipment off the xelics if they bring any.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 05, 2013, 02:07:58 pm »

Usually I have my base forgeworks up well before spring rolls around, so honestly this was a little embarrassing for me when they showed up and I realized I'd forgotten to smelt anything to make trade goods (usually my exports always consist of a mix of used clothing, ill fitting attire and armor, looted metal shields, and metal crafts.)

I'm also going to set Anvil up with her own forge. Seriously, that masterwork weapon astounded me and is clearly a good omen.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 05, 2013, 02:17:45 pm »

Good omen indeed. Looking forward to seeing what else she makes for the fortress.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 05, 2013, 03:17:02 pm »

15th Felsite, 227

Spotted wagons, which I thought was strange, until I noticed the banners nailed to the sides as they got closer. High Elves have come to trade as well, and quite frankly I can forgive their snobbishness since they don't get all bent out of shape over bone trinkets. Since we don't have much of anything to actually trade, we're gonna have to throw up a makshift forge and furnace, and use some of the lignite on site until we can verify that we have permission to use the coal from our shipment.

22nd Felsite, 227

I told the merchants we may not have anything to trade. They seemed disappointed, but said they'd set up shop anyway, in case we managed to get anything to sell made or had any questions.

A forgeworks has been pretty hastily but well built, with Thor and Anvil working together and putting the furnaces and forges up themselves; We have a basic forge of course, two smelters (we've gotten many mineral windfalls,) a finishing forge, charcoal furnace (to supplement our huge reserves of natural coal in both forms and when we accidentally burn through what we have available,) and a crucible. While we may not be able to trade this year with the high elves (I'm sincerely tempted to slaughter the wood elves to help the tigerwoman they have captive,) but I couldn't care less about the tree humpers.

26th Felsite, 227

Wrote up some standardized uniforms and some notes below. Note to self: Remember to post these on all barracks walls.

Blade, Hammer, Axe, Mace, and Speardwarves: Heavy plate over chain with hooded cloaks and heavy tower shields. Anyone in these units is going to have to train harder but they'll be able to wade through much of what the goblins and xelics can throw at them.

Marksdwarves: Leather over a full suit of chain with plate gauntlets and boots and wooden ranged weapons. Lightly armed and armored. I figure than can scatter if things go south and the lighter gear will let them fire faster (I hope anyway,) while providing a decent standard of protection.

Skirmishers: Leather armor over a chain shirt and leggings, with plate boots, spear, and targe. Anyone who ends up in these units I won't lie to, they'll probably die. But I've seen what hastily raised militias of lightly or unarmored speardwarves can do and if drilled sufficiently, they'll make up for in speed and skill what they'll surely lack in staying power. They'll probably be assigned to actual patrols and be tasked with slowing down enemy forces for the rest of us.

I imagine skirmisher duty will likely end up the equivalent of a death sentence though. They get knocked down or their legs get disabled, and chances are it'll be curtains for them.

8th Hematite, 227

Unbelievable. I told Anvil to make a flachion, and she went above and beyond. The first weapon forged here and it was a damned masterpiece! I'm honestly jealous of whoever gets to use it. I felt it and... My gods, it was just perfect! The grip felt right, the weight and swing.... I mean just wow....

Anyway, Kel felt it worthy of celebration, so I'm going to go to the party he's set up. Sure there's only cooked meat and water, but still the chance to socialize a little is always nice since by year's end I plan to start training religiously for battle.

17th Hematite, 227

Found some black bronze in the depot from the xelics last year. With that we were able to secure the tigerwoman's freedom, as well as purchase metal bars from the high elves, specifically enough bronze to make some more swords. The Tribal says her name is Selore Eldecilole, and she and many of her kin had been captured in a brush war with the elves. She admits the name was given to her by the elves, but she finds it more elegant than her old name of Raska.

20th Hematite, 227

The elves have all departed, and in this case it's unfortunate. We're officially out of booze and I we've yet to check for empty barrels.

22nd Hematite, 227

So apparently we have a mayor. Since when did we even hold an election!?

23rd Hematite, 227

Beds have been set up, still  need doors. Married couples and children are getting preferential treatment, since they'll need less space together and need better protection respectively. I also took the liberty of drawing up some plans for a new administrative area above the housing complex.

Also the others decided in honor of our first masterwork weapon, the maker (Anvil,) deserves nicer room and her own forge. I drew up a mock up for those and she didn't seem disapproving.

So there's another update! We did manage to rescue the tigerwoman so now we have a new mascot, we got a fuel driven metalworking center, and apparently Selore actually influenced an election taking place (until she was cut loose we still had Zacen in charge.)

Good omens abound while bedrooms are furnished and weapons forged. Firecrazy got himself a nice new metal crossbow as a badge of office being our marksdwarf sergeant.

Taking all bets on a disaster in the near future.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 05, 2013, 03:50:07 pm »

Sounds like things are going quite well!
Come play Mafia with us!

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 05, 2013, 03:51:08 pm »

Too busy to make a journal today, probably will be the same tomorow.
Nice to see you got the tigerwoman though. Does she count as a pet or as a sentient?
I bet on a forgoten beast with a syndrome.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 05, 2013, 03:59:42 pm »

They aren't listed as citizens due to having the pet tag, but they are sentients and can potentially influence elections as a result of socializing with others.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 05, 2013, 04:31:50 pm »

An unofficial citizen then. Good to know. Try to not get her killed.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 05, 2013, 11:08:48 pm »

So who did become mayor? I don't think you said during the update.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 05, 2013, 11:11:18 pm »

Endok, the one who made the bracelet, got the win apparently.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2013, 05:07:59 am »

From the personal log of Lizard Raptorwire, chief construction worker:

Un-friggin-believable! Today I was informed that Endok, who showed his utmost incompetence by wasting presious materials, has won the mayoral election! Also, now we've got a new citisen - a large humanoid feline! Her name name is Selore. She walks around half-naked, which is rather disturbing. I bet Splint likes that tigerwoman for her large furry breasts kindness. How did she not win the election?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 08:49:24 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 06, 2013, 01:36:23 pm »

21st hematite, 227

Decided to put that Tigerwoman to use.

-There appears to be a ripped sheet of paper in the journal, with a list of names. Clearly whoever wrote it was of unsteady hand or hadn't been literate for very long, but they at least knew how to spell properly.-

Titus Bravegranite, Great Carpenter
Ferro Brunedoils, Vermin Dissector, Taken as warrior
Roach Fulllabor, Great Hive Warden, Wife of Ferro
Vect  Dyemrge, Lye Maker, Of skill with Mace
Mosus  Narrowrags, Great Gem Setter, Husband of Vect
Bomrek Faithmirrors, Son of Vect and Mosus
Kestrel Helpedochre, Great Wax Worker
Rith Boatled, Great Bow Maker, Of skill with Mace. Husband of Kestrel
Darko Hatchettest, Son of Rith and Kestrel
Rovod Relivedhammer, Great Woodcutter
Solon Paint Catch, Great Counter of Things, Of skill with Pumps.
Cerol Roarroof, Great Jeweler
Reg Bellstrap, Great Woodworker

Stray mooing food calf.

-

Well, at least she can write, but clearly the term “Cow” was beyond her.

21st Malachite, 227

Mistem and Minkot must be happy, Mistem just went and gave birth to a boy they named Urvad Blowinghelm. Oh, and Endok mandated bracelets. Fucking. Bracelets. I talked it over with some fo the others and as soon as the accomodations are done I'm going to shove a bracelet down Endok's throat and tell him to stuff it and put Zacen back in charge.

10th Galena, 227
Zacen's back in charge, and we got her situated with a bed and office as soon as we could. We finally have booze again after... Only Amas knows how long. We'll suck it down nearly as fast as we'll get it, but that's ok.

Anvil and her husband finally have their own room and Anvil has her private forge. Set her to making some steel short swords and wrought iron helmets. Amas knows we need them.

12th Galena, 227

Xelics. Silver ones, which astounds me, coming from thier lands to the east. So I'll assume nobody found out about what happened last year.

13th Galena, 227

Bugbears are in the area.

No matter. This one didn't even put up a fight, not that it could with both arms and a foot chopped off. Stomped it's skull into paste. However, in honor of it drawing first blood against would-be raiders, and the great beast it felled, I have decided to name my blade: Ethnitig Etom Onul “Shutbite, the Innocence of Mirroring.”

None will take this blade except by prying it from the grasp of my corpse.

15th Galena, 227

Humans on the west horizon, likely coming out of Dyansauri lands. A welcome sight.

-

The humans said they thought we attacked them on the way in. I told them we'd never do such a thing, especially on their first visit to our settlement! I went to investigate the body, to see if one of our own had been a traitor.

And... They were, but not a traitor of The Gravel of Prisons.

More than two centuries ago, we'd lost contact with a neighbor to the  far north, a great dwarven nation and often the other end of Gravel caravan routes. The Hardy Castle was its name, and many weapons forged there are still in use by the capital's royal guard. When caravans belonging to merchant companies like Autumn Axe and Hammerhill started to go missing when they got to The Hardy Castle's holdings, we feared it'd been overrun by violet xelics or goblins.... But this dwarf... Her eyes are bloodshot, she's unkempt, and seems to have filed her teeth to fangs... And her helm, dagger, and bag all bore the dark mark... The mark of those who've turned their backs on their fellows, on rational thought, on simple sanity, not because a great work could not be made or due to a near unending stream of tragedy befalling, but by choice or coercion...

I can only suspect that they may have found something that no dwarf was meant to see or know.

So, here's another (short) update! The civ screen indicates we have a huge number of snatchers/thieves nearby, among them possibly the most to be feared, chaos dwarves. Good thing we got the forges built, now we just need to finish building fortifications.

Note: Amas is a dwarven deity that is part of the myths of The Gravel of Prisons. Amas is most often depicted as a female dwarf,
and she's associated with mountains, caverns and metals and is Splint's sole deity.

Relevant posts updated as well! Seriously appreciate all the lovbe you guys are giving this thread! :D

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 06, 2013, 01:42:35 pm »

Good thing you were already planning on relying on military might and not traps. Chaos dwarves ignore those as readily as dwarves, which makes them hard to keep out.
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 06, 2013, 01:45:51 pm »

Good thing you were already planning on relying on military might and not traps. Chaos dwarves ignore those as readily as dwarves, which makes them hard to keep out.

The very existence of the [TRAPAVOID] tag is why I only make use of traps in choke points and outer corners of fortifications. Plus, well, it's more satisfying having home raised legends of battle wade through scores of enemy infantry.

Not trying to live vicariously through my little digital dorf soldiers, I swear.

EDIT: Legends Viewer has allowed me to see our current king.

He's fucking 14. The previous queen died right after he turned 12.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41