Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Normal Updates or Breach adamantine without caution or preparation?

No, I want to see the fort cave in on itself naturally (may be a little boring but the fortress goes on longer.)
- 7 (26.9%)
DOITDOITDOITDOIT-ad infinitum-
- 19 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41

Author Topic: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civ Forge Community/Story Fortress: FINISHED  (Read 94635 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civilization Forge community game now in progress!
« Reply #270 on: December 10, 2013, 01:55:59 pm »

On one hand, that is (probably) an artifact steel axe, and dorf!Dreamerghost is better with axes thatn hammers. On the other hand, dorf!Dreamerghost is hungry for glory fame and blood of his enemies.
If it's an axe I want it.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civilization Forge community game now in progress!
« Reply #271 on: December 10, 2013, 02:13:49 pm »

It was a steel war axe called The Celebrated Soul. I've already given it to a furnace operator to lead a squad, as Endok's mandate for bracelets still carried weight and once law is established they'll be given a beating and they'll probably need a helmet to survive it, plus I'll be needing to kinda pick through our populous for suitable recruits to join said squad.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 10, 2013, 02:38:28 pm »

Darn, I wanted my dwarf to go mess some attackers up. But I suppose that alive brother in arms by your side is better than fame.

Edit: Wait, what? The Celebrated souls? Seems that in DF names are of two kinds. Silly and disturbingly ominous.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:40:36 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 10, 2013, 02:56:23 pm »

28th Sandstone, 227

Another Chaos dwarf. Thor go this one, beat it into an unrecognizable bloody mass. And it deserved every bit of it.

2nd Timber, 227

I... I don't know what to make of Zacen's literal demand. For some reason even she can't explain, she wants a verdant bronze chair in her bedroom. She won't hold it against us if we can't deliver, but she'd still like one.

Also it seems I have a letter in my room from some time ago from Lizard that wasn't delivered to me sooner. Something about forming a unit of Speardwarves. I guess that's something I can go for, just not at present. I'll have to discuss the wisdom of using a heavy metal shield when a wooden tower shield would do better for a fraction of the weight and materials with her though.

Also, it appears that Adil, one of our furnace operators, is to be jailed for Endok's old mandate. In response to this, I've assigned Adil to lead a unit of axedwarves in light of this, so she'll have a helmet handy when law is enacted. I know Anvil had a thing for war axes, so I think that's prudent.

7th Timber, 227

Anvil's finally come out of her workshop, and I must say the result is.... Well, staggeringly artful I must say!

It depicts our caravan on the blade, and thus relates to the foundation of the fortress. Name translates to “The Celebrated Soul.” I think as our first useful artifact that's a wonderful name!

11th Timber, 227

Spotted wagons, and at first we thought it was a caravan from the south, but it was the Vamarii! I've seen the fox-folk in battle, and while small their prowess with sword, axe, and spear is not to be underestimated, and they're smart merchants too. Ability to use a hammer leaves a bit to be desired though due to their stature and lithe build compared to a dwarf.

Regardless of that though, I noticed some platinum we had in the stairwell and Zacen ripped it right out for use; It seems what I mistook for gold was actually limonite! Can you imagine journal? A dwarf mistaking iron ore for gold?

17th Timber, 227

We sighted dwarves through the woods today, so the caravan from home is making it's rounds with us. Good thing we had the platinum handy! And it appears that the traps were a good investment. Found a couple corpses by one of the gates.

2nd Moonstone, 227

Trading's been taken care of; we bought a nice healthy amount of gold and platinum ores, metal bars, a crate of medical manuscripts, a few spare barrels and alcohol, and every scrap of fish, meat, and cheese both caravans had, along with a very generous amount of timber. We'll not want for wood in the near future, I'm sure.

Mad Bomber has finally officially been inducted into the militia as well. We put it off until we had a helmet and shield handy for him. He took amazingly well Thor's training, and ina matter of three days he went from being considered a pitifully unskilled recruit to a solid hammerdwarf!

12th Moonstone, 227

Welp, we've officially overfished. Just as well. Zacen's going to have a talk with everyone, try and focus their labor elsewhere. The traps also got two more snatchers. I have to say, they've proven to be a great investment despite not being all that extensive!

So, there we have it! Anodder update! Anvil finished her great work, The Celebrated Soul, a steel war axe. The militia officially gained Mad Bomber as a member like he asked, and all the leftover daggers turned out to be great additions, even if there's only 4 of them! They thwarted 4 snatchers so far.

Oh, and we overfished the brook. Gotta find something else to put the effort of those workers towards now. And Mad Bomber seriously did take to Thor's training frighteningly quick. 3 in-game days and he went from recruit to hammerdwarf.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 10, 2013, 05:16:41 pm »

Could you dorf me as tiger bodiceraw, the great animal trainer and marksdwarf? "Lemon" for the name. Thank you!

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 10, 2013, 08:35:54 pm »

A verdant bronze chair. I don't even what? How do I begin to explain why my Dwarf would want one? Also I will do a journal later tonight
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 11, 2013, 12:33:55 am »

Since the original greek hoplon shields were made of wood, the wooden shields are fine. Is it possible in Civilisation Forge to make a large round-shaped wooden shield? If we use the tower ones, those soldiers will look like a weird mixture of greek hoplites and roman legionaries.  :)
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 11, 2013, 01:39:56 am »

Well round shields are vanilla shields with a 20 blockchance, whereas the tower shields are pretty much the shieldwalling ones with a 40 blockchance but are much heavier than any others, especially if made of metal (lugging around a metal tower shield in adventure mode is a bit of a double edged sword in this mod, as I learned the hard way.)

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 11, 2013, 03:25:36 am »

Tower shields are okay then. :) I intended the hoplites to be heavy soldiers that can be used when things go hairy.

By the way, here's another entry:

The following page of the notebook was once soaked in dwarven rum and is now sprinkled with the bits of blade weed dye. The paper is covered with a large number of scratches. On the other side of the notebook there is a doodle of a tigerwoman and a male dwarf. The tigerwoman is hugging the dwarf. The dwarf is struggling in vain against tigerwoman's grip on his upper body.

From the diary of Lizard, chief construction worker:

Today I recieved a small note from Splint. He apologised for not responding earlier and said he would think over my suggestion. It seems that I'll have to stick to my usual work for some more time. Although it's not what I had expected, I have no other choise but wait. As an overseer, he must be rather busy running the whole enterprise.

On the other news, yesterday I had an interesting conversation with Selore about the life of her tribe. She appeared to be a great source of sociological information. Apart from her native language (which is fascinating) Selore speaks Dwarven, Elven and some human dialects. Poor girl, her life must have been hard.
Some of her replies surprised me - for example, when I asked about the name of her father, she gave me a lot of names. That seemed rather weird, but then I found out that Selore uses the term "father" for defining her numerous uncles, grandfathers and many other senior male members of her tribe.
After that, she asked me about myself and my family. It looks like she misses her home. I hope Splint will somehow comfort her. She got used to him pretty much.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:45:21 am by Monitor Lisard »

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 18, 2013, 06:30:10 am »

Hey guys, sorry about the lack of updates. Some technical difficulties came up but all is well now. Goptta check through and make sure I didn't miss anyones journals/other stuff.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 18, 2013, 10:41:13 am »

7th opal, 227

Had a tiny wave of births to mark the almost-end of the year.
Feb gave birth to  Monitor Intensepapers.
Solon gave birth to a girl, named Rose Teethflags,
And Anvil as well, to a girl that was named Levin Mythstakes.

All happy little buggers, and their parents are all quite pleased! And rightfully so I should say.

8th Opal, 227

Adil, the wielder of Anvil's great work, has bloodied The Celebrated Soul today. Some goblin tried to slip in apparently, and we only got to the fight at the last swing, a very mighty one that cleanly sliced the goblin's skull open! I think we got a good candidate to wield that mighty axe.

28th Opal, 227

Someone commissioned some really odd buildings in the forgeworks, who though I have no idea. I know one is some thing called a frothing pool.

-

Found out it was Dezz. He's a curious sort I guess, and had the plans for these things stashed in a satchel and was waiting for a chance to try his hand at alchemy. Also Zacen put in an order for hand axes. Might as well, we can always jam them into weapon traps or keep them handy for the others to make use of in an emergency.

15th Obsidian, 227

We sighted xelics on the rise on the west, a small band, led by a bug with a crossbow on a bear wearing a marksman's tabard, or at least their version of one. The rest appear to be a mish-mash of hammerbugs, all packing a lot of shields. Firecrazy wanted his marksdwarves to take part, but I told him not to, simply due to a combination of lack of skill and the many shields the bugs carry.

I informed the populous to stay inside and should the worst happen, to seal the main gate and wait out the intruders. But I have my doubts of their abilities, and they are supremely arrogant to think a paltry 17 warriors, no,
rabble, can best us!

Besides, I suppose this is as good a test as any of our skill at arms.

But, should the worst come to pass, may Amas watch over us all.

THE PLAN
Wait the enemy out in an ambush

Allow some to blunder into the snatcher-traps.

A single Ambush, many dead xelics, a single victory.

Victory belongs to the warriors of Carryscar! I must say we did well, and the traps killed a surprising number in spite of their small numbers, 5 in fact! Ferro brought the damned marksbug's mount down himself, blocking the only two shots the marksbug got in before slicing the bear's head open and I pulled it off and put my fist through the bastard's skull.

I saw Thor humorously deliver what I can only describe as a kick right to one bug's rock nuts before he caved its vomit-belching head in, while Dreamerghost sliced one cleanly in half! It was... Well, I daresay it was a glorious slaughter! A pair of sand raiders also got killed in the resultant struggle, Maskwolf killing one and the traps getting the other.

Four xelics escaped screaming bloody murder, threats, and begging us to not pursue them and that they give up; some were missing limbs from the traps, and they abandoned two wounded in their flight. I put both down, and now the violets know that we are not to be trifled with! Decided to do a tally of total kills in the battle too, just for fun while the civvies clean up the bodies. 5 died on the traps and 4 escaped, leaving 7 xelics and the bear having died at our blades and hammers.

We'll probably just sell off the shields they left and keep the hammers for use in traps or emergencies.

Although I think the most humerous aspect is the fact that a small tribe of hamstermen were watching and cheering us on from the brush...

17th Obsidian, 227

Finally got the nobility suite dug and its being smoothed now. I also had Titus make a set of doors and such for Anvil, since she forged all of the tools we fought with save the shields, which I'm sure she'll appreciate. Also construction on that so-called “Alchemical Workshop,” As Dezz has taken to calling that part of the foundry, is going well!

I wonder what sort of goodies She'll be able to make for us using that stuff?

21st Obsidian, 227

We've sighted Frost Giants on the horizon... Usually encounters with them don't bode well, but this group isn't carrying a war banner... Wonder what they want?

Updaaaaaate! With SEEEEEEEEIGE! That we won. I mean honestly it was a bit of a crubstomp battle. The traps killed a surprising number and the four survivors only survived by virtue of them being jammed. And I was honestly surprised by the frost giant caravan, since I figured the siege would have monkey wrenched the trade season.

Short but sweet, enjoy guys.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 18, 2013, 11:33:33 am »

"OH DWARF, THE CABINETS ARE ATTACKING US!"

Feb gave birth to  Monitor Intensepapers.

Btw, that's a nice name.  :)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 18, 2013, 12:15:16 pm »

Did I slice that xelic in half with a hammer?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 18, 2013, 12:23:40 pm »

Nice! Always good to see a battle go completely in our favor.

Also, happy that Anvil has a child. Kind of amusing that carrying a child in the forge won't slow her down any, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 18, 2013, 02:33:39 pm »

Did I slice that xelic in half with a hammer?

No, I left you in my squad simply because at this point you're pretty fuckin' handy with that short sword, so why bother having you relearn how to fight with another weapon again?

"OH DWARF, THE CABINETS ARE ATTACKING US!"

And yes, cabinets are attacking us. They're secretly not beetle-men.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 41