Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Normal Updates or Breach adamantine without caution or preparation?

No, I want to see the fort cave in on itself naturally (may be a little boring but the fortress goes on longer.)
- 7 (26.9%)
DOITDOITDOITDOIT-ad infinitum-
- 19 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41

Author Topic: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civ Forge Community/Story Fortress: FINISHED  (Read 94696 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Wow, lots of combat. Glad to see that our soldiers are doing so well, though! The losses could have been much worse.

Yup, which is just what I like to see. Honestly it was just bad luck that Adil hadn't gotten her boots yet and Citrine got her feet sliced off (also due to boot shortage; really need to correct that.) The sole reason Citrine's killer escaped was because Maskwolf had to bash through three chaos speardwarves and four horses to get to him and he fled off map by the time he was done with them.

So, yeah, for entirely in character reasons, could you put me in a squad by myself, with all my equipment, that isn't training. Sort of a reserve squad along with any other military trained dwarves who aren't a part of the full time military.

Honestly it'd be a tremendous waste of the skill you've developed to do so. You're a hammerlord after all, as well as easily one of our best soldiers, and I'm a both a practical and military minded fellow, so would you mind if I kept you on full time?

Also, as odd as it seems, having everyone so tightly knit along with the soldiers getting no in-game socializing time may be a major factor as to why we didn't get slapped by a tantrum spiral after all those deaths. Everyone can talk out their problems with their friends over some moonglow (We're building up a healthy supply due to devoting a plot specifically to glow caps,) and high quality meals composed of all maner of flours sugars, and spices, rather than punch eachother in the face.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile

Okay dokay, I'll do a write-up of that interaction in a little while.

Thor scanned the battlefield, checking for any stragglers.  There were none. All of the goblins were either dead or long since fled. Turning to go into the fortress, he noticed Maskwolf approaching him.
"Yes, private?"
"Sir... Requesting your permission to resign from active duty."
Thor's jaw dropped. Of all of the possible ways this conversation could have started, he had not expected this.
"And why do you want to do that, private?"
"I can't do this anymore. I have my family to think about, and sooner or later active duty is going to get me killed."
"And what better death than protecting the ones you love?"
"You and the other warriors do an excellent job protecting us. I'm sure we'll be fine with one fewer soldier."
Thor sighed. Time for another pep talk.
"Look, private.  Like it or not, you are one of the best soldiers under my command. Hell, you're one of the best soldiers in the whole damn military. You took to the training faster than anyone I have ever seen.  You have even named your weapon and shield. I know that part of you wants to resign your duty, but there is a part of you that wants to keep going. If there wasn't, why do you name your weapons? Why do you answer the call to arms every time? Now, let me be clear: I can't force you to stay active duty.  But I want you to give it a couple days, really think it over. In a week, if you still want to resign, I can't stop you."
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 06:00:18 pm by 4maskwolf »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

25th Hematite, 230

It's been over a month since the battle that claimed Adil and Citrine. Maskwolf handed me a letter of resignation, saying that Nuri was getting increasingly worried that he'd not make it back. And while I can honestly understand his wanting to be there for his wife and children, I haven't informed him of my decision just yet. On the one hand, he has his family to think about. On the other, he's one of our best soldiers, and his old profession isn't exactly in high demand around here, if it ever was (hell, I forgot what he used to do before he signed up to cave in xelic and chaos dwarf skulls.) Honestly, I think he's just too valuable to the militia at this point.

Oh, and I figured out the issue the Wolverines were having with their munitions.

Evidently the ammo had been filed to belong to the Hammerheads, and they never bothered to inform me of the misfile. This has since been corrected, and I'm honestly really fucking embarrassed over this slip up...

12th Malachite, 230

The Goanna Barracks is complete, and both Citrine and Adil were laid to rest and their headstones raised. Anyway, the Goannas will begin training once there's enough spears to go around. Most of what's left over from the siege is getting used in traps along the walls. Besides, Anvil can make better spears than the trash the chaos dwarves brought.

They may look like dwarves, but they clearly don't know how to make decent arms anymore.

17th Malachite, 230

I was informed Garnier was acting funny today.

Taking all bets, something useless!

19th Malachite, 230

Darko came of age today and enlisted with the Ripperjacks. I had Anvil use our one... ingot, of void crystal to make him a shortsword, and it was an absolute masterpiece! Another child named Goden also came of age some weeks ago, and made it known she wanted to join the Hammerheads. She was a friend of Citrine, and wants revenge. She's making due with a bronze war hammer off a dead goblin right now.

27th Malachite, 230

Useless, useless, useless. Pretty, but completely useless.

9th Galena, 230

Clean-up's been going smoothly, for once, this summer. Been working on gathering up all the loot and skeletons and piling them up by the main entrance to be sifted through. Turns out our excess dwarves are a blessing for such things, provided we don't try to throw things into a ditch in clumps bigger than a half dozen and only one area at a time. Makes for very efficient removal of battlefield debris.

16th Galena, 230

Silver xelics. The workers are gonna have to haul ass to bring in the last of the salvage, because I'm sure “visitors” are going to come along shooting at us.

21st Galena, 230

The humans arrived, and with tham came xelics. Xelics lead by an elf.

Hopefully the human guards can deal with them; we're low on brew again because SOMEONE kept eating all the crops.

-

I lead my squad out after the merchants said three of their guards failed to catch up with them. Found three dead humans and two dead xelics, along with a few xelics and the elf. Toad led the charge, just as before due to being lightly armored compared to the rest of us, and first thing she did was pop the first xelic's head right off its shoulders!

I went after the elf myself though.

Honestly, it was quite satisfying cutting up one of those tree humping hypocrite, even if they'd been raised by bugs. But we also heard the sound of fighting at the courtyard!

More xelics had tried to slip in the east gate, but they wound up running into Mad Bomber. From there, it was a masaacre of the xelics and the elf. Goden eaven got a kill!

26th Galena, 230

Been quiet, and we traded for every bit of brewables and food they had. Idiots seemed happy taking a bunch of weather beaten shields and cheap copper lamellar armor that's been beaten to hell and bunched full of holes.

7th Limestone, 230

I told Maskwolf that he's simply too valuable to the militia to be allowed to resign. He didn't seem all that shocked really since I hadn't given him an answer right away. He simply told me he understood and he'd do what needed to be done should the chaos dwarves attack again. He doesn't seem to have any qualms about killing xelics, goblins, and other things of that nature, but the chaos dwarves seem to really rattle him, though not as much as before.

[8 of his 11 notable kills are choas dwarves.]

21st Limestone, 230

Announced to the fortress after a long time, we're finally going to make sure everyone has a cabinet to call their own. Seemed to lift everyone's spirits greatly! Also production of golden salve commenced. We didn't know what else to do with the valley herbs we had in storage. Also, an effort is in progress to produce new socks, shirts, cloaks, hoods, and pants for everyone.

Also Nuri announced that next year, the humans have promised to bring a great supply of drink and ore, including much coveted sugarcane rum which many dwarves have taken a liking to.

28th Limestone, 230

Been finding abnormally high numbers of dead snatchers jammed in or near our traps. Looks like they were a very wise investment after what happened to Monitor.

Gods, I hope that kid doesn't show up leading a raid party. It'd probably ruin all of us to have to kill one of our own.

22nd Sandstone, 230

I was informed that the crops are coming in fast than they can be processed, and storage of the golden salve took up space as well. I consulted Lizard on how to handle this, and she said that the miners could use some work and drew up two sets of plans: 1 for an additional storeroom for millables and one for additional archery targets for the Wolverines. I sent Selore down to Solon and Ilral and she came back telling me they'd get the miners right on it.

14th Timber, 230

A... Well, I have no idea. A fucking huge bitch showed up bellowing about “eatin' dorfs.” Don't know where it is, but were heard it shouting anyway. I told the troops to hand back, and that I'd face whatever it is myself.

-

It was a god damn giant, and a clumsy one at that. Didn't take too much effort to kill it though.

15th Timber, 230

Vamarii spotted around noon today. We all know what that means.

Dunno why, just been feeling real Carryscar-y lately. Had a high point of elves leading xelics, a bit of trade, honey production, and production of much dwarven sugar and longland flour. Oh, and a giant attacked as you can see, and it fared very poorly. Also I derped and figured out why the Wolverines hadn't had any ammo.

Anyways, hope you guys enjoy this short little update!

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile

Yet again I have some caching up to do, but it's too late today. You are realy making these updates quicly Splint. Could I get my kills list? @ maskwolf Expect a speech of encouragement from Story!Dreamerghost tomorow.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:45:53 pm by DreamerGhost »
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I dunno what's come over, just felt like putting out updates for Carryscar. ANd I'll get you that kill list shortly.

And now for kills! Everyone else either has one, no kills, or is an unclaimed NPC.

Splint

Ferro

Dreamerghost

Thor

Mad Bomber

Maskwolf

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile

Maskwolf walked towards Thor, his head held high.  He had made his decision.

"What have you chosen, Maskwolf?"
"I..." Maskwolf seemed to have difficulty swallowing momentarily, "I have decided that the fortress needs me to remain as a guard."
"That was a remarkably quick turnaround."
"I suppose.  I remembered why I joined the armed forces to begin with."
"And why was that?  You never actually explained that.  You just showed up one day with orders from Splint."
"I joined in order to protect my family.  That is what I am going to continue to do."
Thor clapped Maskwolf on the back, "That's a good soldier.  Now, the rest of the squad needs training.  You going to help with that?"
Maskwolf shuffled nervously, "Could I have a few minutes, sir.  I haven't told my family yet..."
Thor nodded, "Of course, private."

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile

"From the diary of Lizard, construction worker and social dwarfologist:

After short treatment in the fortress hospital, I immediately returned to my room. I had a lot of things to do, first of all, to finish the new storage area for crops (It should have at least two stories to be efficient, I think), and additional archery range. Had to look trough some older plans, including the Hive Palace (By Nuri) and Strategic Cavern Security and Colonisation Plan (By Splint). My table was literally covered with plans, blueprints and other papers. My notebook, with a rough scetch of newly-built Goannas barracks, was lying on a top ot this pile of documents. A brass hoplite dogtag with a picture of a goanna, forged by Anvil, caght my attention. Definetely, a masterfully-made thing.

"Hello there, my scaled friend." - Selore entered the room, holding yet another batch of papers: - "How are you feeling today?"
"I'm fine, thanks. That ointment of yours helps greatly." - I looked trough one of the files, trying to find the document I needed. The tigerwoman sat on the floor next to me, looking curiously.
"What's the matter, Selore? Do you want to ask something?" - I put the file on a table and turned to her. She looked as if she was feeling uncomfortable.
"Yes. Well... You know... There is something..." - She sighed: "You're now a warrior, right?"
"Yeah, that's true. But I am still working as a chief construction worker. This place needs both, you know." - I smiled. Selore grinned in responce, but I was sure she still felt uneasy.
"And what about your family? Your friends? What do they think about this?" - she asked.
"Well, you see... I haven't got many relatives here. And friends... What do you think about my new career?" - I laughed.
"That sounds great, but... You know, it is dangerous." - She looked worried: "If something happens... You know... I would miss you." - the tigerwoman sighed:
"Both you and Splint are now in the military. You know, after I lost contact with my family... You're my closest friends."
"Don't worry, kid." - I smiled: "I will do my best. And Splint... He's one tough guy."
"Okay." - Selore nodded.
"Look... Talk to Maskwolf. He's not only a great warrior, but also an honest family man."
"Thank you, the Scaled One!" - she hugged me (I felt like she was trying to wrestle me) and then walked out. I returned to my usual work."

OOC note: By the way, if it's possible, can I see my dwarf's relatives and friends?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:52:11 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

How many troops do we have exactly?

If its less than 50, make it 50.
We need either A) Meatshields or B) Marksdwarves.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How many troops do we have exactly?

If its less than 50, make it 50.
We need either A) Meatshields or B) Marksdwarves.

Marksdwarves are out of the question simply because I'm never confident in my ability to provide enough training ammo for more than one squad (which we have and is burning through training ammo at an alarming rate due to several members already being great or better when they joined up.) We currently have 32 soldiers, counting the currently off-duty Goannas, and 36 (I think, if I did my math right,) with the Peacekeepers.

1 Swordsdwarf
7 Swordmasters
2 Axedwarves
2 Axelords
1 Hammerdwarf
3 Hammerlords
6 Speardwarves (Goannas)
4 Macedwarves (Peacekeepers)
10 Marksdwarves

By the way, if it's possible, can I see my dwarf's relatives and friends?

You have relatively few friends, despite your time not spent cutting blocks and helping build things (excluding the hospital stay,) being spent in the mess hall. You do however have a list of passing acquaintances a friggen mile long. No known next of kin either, so I'll assume her reason for coming here was a bit of a spat with her family that ended with her getting disowned.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile

Notthing like a direct morale boost.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile

You have relatively few friends, despite your time not spent cutting blocks and helping build things (excluding the hospital stay,) being spent in the mess hall. You do however have a list of passing acquaintances a friggen mile long. No known next of kin either, so I'll assume her reason for coming here was a bit of a spat with her family that ended with her getting disowned.

Well, according to my story, Lizard has a few living relatives, and they in the mountainhome, far from Ozkakurrith. That's why she didn't care about the opinion of her family when becoming a hoplite.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile

Sorry I've been a tad..... distracted lately, and by lately I mean what weeks now? Either way soon I'll do some journals again once I manage to stop distracting myself. Also before that what has my dwarf been doing anyways? Still random jobs or something in particular?
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry I've been a tad..... distracted lately, and by lately I mean what weeks now? Either way soon I'll do some journals again once I manage to stop distracting myself. Also before that what has my dwarf been doing anyways? Still random jobs or something in particular?

Varies between socializing and either mining or helping build things (because I left masonry on for'em.)

Update coming shortly, just need to take care of the images.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

15th Timber, 230 (late afternoon)

The Vamari representative came in today looking absolutely terrified. Said he got attacked by xelics (big surprise; I'm getting really fuckin' sick of them.) So we're heading out to deal with them. The fox says that the bugs are led by an elf crossbowman, but that's not really an issue. I have to wonder why so many elven sergeants are accompanying their troops into the field though... I thought these were mostly just large bandit gangs, but maybe we've drawn some unwanted attention...

-

The fight went about as well as could be expected from the bugs and their tree fondling comrade. Cut the bastards to ribbons. One of the high points though was Toad biting one's head and killing it that way and her taking down the tree humper.

[Battle in progress]

[Toad biting one's head in]

[Toad elf kill]

I decided to lead my squad out on a patrol around the perimeter of our territory, sniffing out any other intruders when we got jumped just before sundown.

It was another elf led squad. Honestly it's starting to make me think the damned hippies are in league with them, but I know better than that. No self respecting elf would go into battle using metal gear, because that means their precious trees had to be used to make forge fuel.

Toad also seems to have a real hate for elves that brings a dwarfy tear to my eye. As the patrol continued, a bowelf blew the cover of his squad when he took a shot at us.

Came at us just as the sun was going down, and gods is this getting old fast. Don't the bugs have any better strategies? Or how about goblins, or... Bugbears. Or even freakin' chaos dwarves! I'm just really getting sick of xelics.

When the arrow hit Toad's shield, she shouted they'd have to do better than that to get by her shield, which she had apparently given a name.

I got the elf leading that group, though one macebug escaped. Good. The little bastard will spread word of what awaits all of the bugs who come here. That should do a good job of sowing fear in their ranks.

18th Timber, 230

We've been making regular patrols into the woods looking for bugs when we came across our fellows from the merchant guilds back home late tonight. We welcomed them to our holdings and told them we'd escort the liaison to the fortress proper. I directed Ferro and Toad (who were pretty hopped up on sugar filled rolls,) to continue the patrol while Dreamerghost and I went in to get some sleep and drink (neither of us had been very awake anyway at the time.)

20th Timber, 230

A bunch of dead bugbears were found around our early warning traps. Refreshing honestly.

[All the hides there are dead bugbears. Nice change of pace from constant xelic attacks honestly. Also this mod needs it's own sprites for a lot of these races.]

One even managed to slip in the east gate, not that it did him much good. Between the vamarii and the home caravan he got trounced pretty roundly. Maskwolf went out to check for any others and found one badly injured one that he mercy killed; poor thing was missing a leg, both arms were broken, and it's guts were hanging out according to him.

25th Timber, 230

Titus was acting pretty strange this morning, went babbling about something I couldn't understand into a carpentry workshop and haven't heard a thing about it since, other than he was gathering materials for something.

3rd Moonstone, 230

I uh... well, I was told Titus finished his thingy, and I... Uh.... Hrm. Not sure on this one...

13th Moonstone, 230

Nuri said that our fabric supplies could do with supplementing. I asked what she was getting at and she proposed three things.

1. Finally digging into the caverns proper and harvesting silk. Lots of silk.

2. Building a dedicated silk manufacturing center, staffed by dwarves who aren't shy of the underground wilderness, to collect, weave, and craft it.

And 3. Forming two squads of brave dwarves willing to stand against whatever terrors may lurk down there, 1 for melee to deal with general threat, and one of marksdwarves armed tih those heavy crossbows to deal with things that are too dangerous for the rest of us to face for a variety of reasons (webs, fire, or dust for example.)

I thought it over, and decided that we've hiden from whatever's in there for far too long, and agreed to most of the plan. I say most because the wolverines have absolutely devoured the training ammo we do manage to produce, in spite of the massive stock we had before. I'm not sure if we can afford to employ another squad of marksdwarves.

Then Selore of all people told me why not “Have warriors throw spears at what lurks below.” I was going to tell her that was stupid, when I remembered that our forgemasters knew the secrets of axes perfectly balanced for throwing! While they certainly lack the penetrating damage of what she was talking about (javelins I think they're called,) we can easily supply training ammo for them, provided lumber imports remain high.

Hell, that reminded me we could just as easily produce wooden bolts for those arbalest things as well, with the density of the wood making them excellent fro crushing skulls and bones at a distance! I've already had the miners begin onaccess to the caverns: it starts here, in the residential area, and with the large supply of blocks we've built back up, we can bridge the way across to that solid outcrop of rock, and build the weavery in there! And hell, while we're at it we could even build a sort of... I dunno, gemworker area as well!

[The initial access]

16th Opal, 230

Along with the odd mosquito tribal, we've been finding a lot of dead bugbears and xelics in the traps this month. Doesn't exactly bode well for winter trade season, but if it means bugbears, then I welcome it because that means something that isn't a godsdamned beetle-man.

24th Opal, 230

Thikut named his shield, though it's rather odd considering how well it's served him. “The Untrustworthy Rampage.” Strange, but it's not my place to judge names of weapons.

11th obsidian, 230

Work on the weavery and cavern barracks is going well; stopped in on the workers and everything's already been smoothed out and cloth is getting moved down. Barracks will be finished by the end of the year.

12th Obsidian, 230

Bugbears, came bellowing challenges to face them. So we went out to oblige them. Poor bastards didn't know who they were messing with.

But, while we were running down the stragglers (one of which Ferro was busy carving up like a roasted yak,) the god damn bugs tried to jump us.

The battle went as you'd expect for them. Left a puddle of dead bug there, and obviously that ambush means we need to head out on patrol.

So, we has another update! Been asleep a good chunk of this afternoon, and didn't wanna post an update this morning because it seems so... Lacking. While doing stuff for the drawing below, I noticed all of our male soldiers have the same beard and 'stache style, barring the odd addition of neatly combed sideburns. Never had that kind of consistency with facial hair before. We also have more named weapons and shields than we do actual mood artifacts.

See if you can guess who is who in the picture (Those depicted are Toad, Splint, Ferro, and Dreamerghost,) and enjoy the update guys!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Ooh... Art...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41