Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Normal Updates or Breach adamantine without caution or preparation?

No, I want to see the fort cave in on itself naturally (may be a little boring but the fortress goes on longer.)
- 7 (26.9%)
DOITDOITDOITDOIT-ad infinitum-
- 19 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 41

Author Topic: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civ Forge Community/Story Fortress: FINISHED  (Read 94681 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Definitely looking forward to when Toady does an overhaul of the Fortress mode trading system and Caravans.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile

The thing is not about the enemy, actually. The real reason for starting a new conflict is Carryscar's military forces and it's commanders will. You see, although this fortress was intended to be a merchant outpost, the power is now in the hands of it's military. Sooner or later, Splint and his loyal officers will gain control over local civil authorities and lead the fortress to it's glory, conquering new lands and waging wars all around the continent.

It is called a "military coop", right?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:44:28 pm by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

"Military Coop"?   ???   I think you mean 'Miltary Coup, in which case the merchants will eventually rise up against the military with the Wolf Acolyte by their side!  :P
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

It's spelled coup, but yes. However, I'm not one to start conflicts unless I have a damned good reason to do so, which in this case is basically having our head trader get spit in her eye over shit we didn't even produce ourselves and just wanted to get rid of but in a productive manner over simple destruction (or resolve to do so for a little added challenge in my vanilla copy.)

EDIT: DAMN YOU NINJA!

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile

A meeting between Overseer and our local shapeshifter. What will happen?

Spoiler: Meeting (click to show/hide)

If you feel like your part in this should be changed Splint, message me and I'll do it.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's... Actually a very well thought out reason for a fight. Concern over these self-righteous fucks refusing to trade with smaller, less fortunate settlements that have to rely on animal products to trade and them otherwise trying to outmaneuver and undermine domestic producers of such goods in the southern mountains... That would probably be more than enough reason to initiate hostilities (boosting demand for domestic goods to feed and clothe an army and barring import and even the presence of the silvers from Gravel lands... That gives me an idea for the next update. :D

Also you're dialogue has improved greatly. :)

Ok, so I'm fairly certain everything's up to date. Another update may come tonight, but no promises.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

25th Sandstone, 231

A kid went a little... Funny the other day, and we were heading in when he just shouted “DONE!” and came out of the topside craftsdwarf shop all proud of himself with a set of off-white chain mail pants. Upon inspection, it was found that it was made out of freaking elk bird bone!

I'm not sure if I should be patting this kid on the back or calling him a complete fucking moron.

3rd Timber, 231

Migrants arrived, and I went down to start screening for cavern guards. Two individuals have Joined Sergeant Nish and once the barracks is finally finished they'll begin training, and a married couple by the names of Firefly and Aluna have volunteered to take the helm for the Bugbat squad.

Also Solon and Ilral tell me that we've officially become a metropolis! Who knows, maybe in a few years word will get to his majesty and he'll visit!

16th Timber, 231

The Miners report that we've hit gabbro, which is good should we ever find magma. I'm a bit rusty at this geology stuff (if that incident where I mistook iron ore for gold is any indicator,) but I do know we can use that stuff to create smelters and forges able to withstand the heat of the earth's blood.

Another caravan from home has also arrived, using a freshly opened route west of the fortress entrance we cut through the forest. Instead of trundling along the creek like nearly everyone has had to. Likewise, the Vamarii coming back south came in from the east instead of looping around like they normally have to. The presence of dead goblins along the wall also denotes we need to be on alert.

-

A band of goblins fell on the rear of the fox caravan, the guards leaping into action! We were unsure if we should intervene, as while the axefox went down, from broken bones by the look of things, the enemy leader was shot twice and overwhelmed by the fox-folk warriors, one outright cutting the speargoblin in half! Several other macegoblins met their match (and maker) against the maces of the vamarii, though two were reported to have escaped.

But the guards did well, even managing to go through without any deaths! We sent a resent arrival to check on the axefox and she was still alive, but she'll have to ride a wagon home. We have her in the shade of a highwood right now, so barring an attacker finding her this will be an otherwise fruitful trading session with our taiga-dwelling comrades with not a friendly death in sight.

19th Timber, 231

While digging out the space for the bank the miners sent Selore up (why she was down there I have no idea unless she just likes picks or something,) to inform em that we've hit what may be a vein of gold! This will help immensely if it is a vein, since that means more refined glistening gold to build the bank from!

There was also a great deal of cheer and riotous behavior around the depot when Talonis made it known that not only did she procure even more drink for us, she managed to get hold of that wonderful moonglow! Honestly we o through what we do manage to produce at an alarming rate and seeing the good cheer among the people for even small amounts is honestly a good thing. It shows despite the advanced nature of the fortress, our people are not indignant louts who take good things for granted like so many others did in the southern mountains.

Then again, some people still lack cabinets and many still don't have doors. Maybe that's a factor...

21st Timber, 231

Talonis finished with the trade, and as a show of good faith gave the traders a gold amulet, black bronze crown, and electrum ring as a gift to the king. She's also asked about having a general trade goods storage dug out, and many have petitioned for formation of emergency auxiliary forces and construction of a central armory far underground, somewhere the reservists can rush to get their arms and armor in the event of a military disaster.

I haven't actually gotten anything together on that last one, but I suppose we can get a general storage space for the various odds and ends we've produced over the years.

24th Timber, 231

I was doing a quick inspection when I noticed that Thikut was... Well, he somehow managed to tie two shortswords together and use them both with one hand. I... Well journal, frankly I'm flummoxed. But hell, if he can make it work more power to him.

-

Dreamerghost came into my room (I should probably get an office made for myself and the other officers and officials,) tonight and gave me a letter from the General back south. Well, it's a very convincing forgery I should say. I've had to read letters from the General before, and whoever made this one, while skilled, botched the very end of the signature, plus it was made on stationery we make here. It was honestly a very convincing order for hostilities, and I was doubly shocked when Zacen called me up to her office and she informed me that the liaison who arrived with the caravan had a letter for me from General Olun! It was remarkably similar to the one Dreamerghost gave me, though worded somewhat differently and cited worry over the more elvish members of the country - a very high number apparently, considering so many butchers, fisherdwarves, and others who work with animal products came here looking for work – refusing to buy such goods from local producers, something the king is concerned of as well, as I was also given a letter from him. And unlike the forgery, General Olun's had a perfect signature and both looked like they had come the 400 miles or however far north we are, to get here. So our militia has essentially receiving direct orders from the General to begin accosting the Silver Xelics who enter Carryscar territory.

However, the king has asked I discuss the matter with our civilian administration and other officers and such before we act on the General's orders. Gotta give the dwarf that he's a good ruler despite his young age (hell, most of the younger militiadwarves are probably older than him!) He learned well from his family.

4th Moonstone, 231

Zacen got promoted to Countess today, and Nuri held a celebration in the statue garden to commemorate it! Apparently she had all the moonglow rolled in there with some of the cinnamon-cane sugar concoctions our cooks have made for the occasion. The masons have also begun laying the groundwork for a fine road to the edges of our holdings. I also got the ok to prepare a citizen council/committee chamber, and the liaison also gave me a second letter from the king and he has approved for the establishment of a Carryscar Metalworkers Guildhall on the condition we first find magma.

I've also been given the requirements for each area to be given to Anvil, since she's the Fortress' Guildmaster-in-waiting. The metalcrafting area must be built from precious metals, preferably gold or silver, Weapon and armoring from iron, and the forges and smelters must be composed of steel. On top of this, regardless of whether or not they'll be used, a guild council hall, courtyard, and quarters for each worker must be built, also from iron and stocked with at least copper furnishings and each residential unit be provided with a clear glass window. The Guildmaster must also receive a padded throne of metal dependant upon their role: Platinum for metalcrafters, Billion for blacksmiths, Steel for Weaponsmiths (such as Anvil,) or Ward Iron for Armorsmiths.

Quite frankly this is all a very weighty thing, but Guildhalls are meant to reflect the wealth and prestige of their guilds so I guess it's acceptable. Such favor has not gone unnoticed though and Selore came in to give a petition from our many stoneworkers and their relatives for the establishment of a Stoneworkers Guild branch as well. Evidently in all the times the liaison has visited, he never once saw Selore and nearly jumped out of his skin when she barged in! It was sooooo hard not to laugh... Anyway, we can expect to hear back from the Stoneworkers Guild next year, likely with a mandate for the construction of a guildhall.

9th Moonstone, 231

Man, it seems like clean up is never done around here. We're still finding stray arrows and bolts, remains, and quivers, hell we found a whole goblin's upper body in a tree!

10th Moonstone, 231

It turns out that there was indeed a vein of gold where the bank was destined to be! The miners have begun digging it out now, and some small groundwork has been laid for the bank itself. I wonder, would silver floors and platinum doors seem a bit too much? And to top it off, the promotion is now official!

11th Opal, 231

Dreamerghost has had that sword for nearly as long as Anvil's been here and he's only now beginning to hold it in the same regard as Doren and Toad do theirs.

[These two named their weapons some time ago but I completely forgot about it when I was making the update it happened in (within a week of eachother,) while Dreamerghost has had that faithful masterwork steel sword for years now and he's only just gotten attached to it, though naming the thing is likely not far off now if the others are any indicator.]

-

We were all packing our gear for the night when I spied Dreamerghost doing something with his sword. I asked him why he had a metalcrafter's chisel and he said one of the forgemasters lent it to him so he could engrave the name he'd given it into the fuller.

I have to admit, he seems pretty odd at times, but I think he's just as much a dwarf as the rest of us!

13th Obsidian, 231

Trade and war season fast approaches, and we've gotten both a stockpile for all our old, ill fitting, or freshly produced clothing, one for finished goods, and the initial area of the bank dug out, though the bank is certainly a sorry site with mining tunnels sticking out of it until all the gold ore is either moved or processed. Also in the midst of the council room and clothing storage being dug out, the miners hit both veins of hematite and coal! This place never ceases to amaze me!

Anyway my dear little friend, I'm going to have to get a new journal soon. You've served me very well for so long... I'm glad I was able to have a chest moved into my room so I'll have a place to keep you.

Yay update! We're now officially a county and well on the road to becoming the new capital (which is a tremendous first for me!) I'm going to hold off on the last 2000 worth of offerings so we can get Zacen to Duchess and prepare for the king's arrival.

I also found we have the old noble raws so if we want to we can assign a tax collector (perhaps head of the bank?) and a dungeon master, who I may use for Anvil to reflect her standing as the local guildmaster.

Oh, and the Goannas are going to be seeing combat as after I stopped taking stuff down to ready this update, the chaos dwarves attack and they brought trolls. So my battle plan is to position the Wolverines on top of the fortress to keep trolls and invaders off the roof (thanks to a ramp I forgot to have ripped out,) The Hammerheads, Cazadors, Ripperjacks, and Wolf Spiders defending the courtyard, and the Goannas the processing center which is actually kinda convenient since the dead horses will all be scattered in there once the enemy breaks the doors down. Worst case scenario will have Zacen with her mining labor reenabled leading the bulk of the citizenry with the Peacekeepers into the caverns for shelter while the other miners, the Bugbats, and Cave Dragons hold the enemy back. I won't kid myself into thinking this will be a bloodless victory for our side. At the very least we'll most likely have several wounded troopers.

Stay tuned for the inevitable battle kiddies! I'm sure it'll be a bloody one.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm aiming for a report for every update, so here ya go:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I have a few minor grammar issues, so feel free to correct me. Enjoy the Moonglow!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile

Finding gold while mining out bank vault? Seems like a good sign to me. And it is surprisingly rare for someone to get king to arrive the legit way instead of via through finding candy. Well done.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm aiming for a report for every update, so here ya go:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think I have a few minor grammar issues, so feel free to correct me. Enjoy the Moonglow!

Heh, that actually fits with what I often have possessed dwarves shouting: "Some kind of broken mix of vamari and dwarven." ANd we shall indeed enjoy the moonglow!

Finding gold while mining out bank vault? Seems like a good sign to me. And it is surprisingly rare for someone to get king to arrive the legit way instead of via through finding candy. Well done.

Actually we were just digging out the lobby and found the gold, we haven't even started on the vault yet, so we may find more diruing construction! :D

And I've never had the monarch arrive... Ever. Came close a couple times but I either lost the save or don't feel like playing them/forgot what I was doing.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Nice! I like the idea of the Guildhall for Anvil. :)

Oh, and keep an eye out for Ilmenite in the Gabbro. It's used to make Crucible Steel, which is a step up from normal steel. Especially for blades.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice! I like the idea of the Guildhall for Anvil. :)

Oh, and keep an eye out for Ilmenite in the Gabbro. It's used to make Crucible Steel, which is a step up from normal steel. Especially for blades.

Already fund some, and I imagined so. I kept all the lamellar armor made from that stuff or from ward iron for the Goannas.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile

I have just translated what the name of my sword means. My dwarf is a pervert.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

:D

You do realize your name implies you haunt people's dreams?  :P

Your dwarf only took his cue from you. Hehehe...
GENERATION 32:

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What, don't like the skirt chasing implication?

Update coming soonish! Stay tuned!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 41