Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Normal Updates or Breach adamantine without caution or preparation?

No, I want to see the fort cave in on itself naturally (may be a little boring but the fortress goes on longer.)
- 7 (26.9%)
DOITDOITDOITDOIT-ad infinitum-
- 19 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 41

Author Topic: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civ Forge Community/Story Fortress: FINISHED  (Read 94643 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civilization Forge Community Mountainhome!
« Reply #480 on: February 19, 2014, 02:49:11 pm »

Dreamerghost, for reference we have access to long and shortswords, and Falcions. Coulda sworn dwarves used to be able to make flamberges/flambards and bastard swords in this mod...

Updates and community contributions are now up to date. I think.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 19, 2014, 02:57:32 pm »

Dreamerghost, for reference we have access to long and shortswords, and Falcions. Coulda sworn dwarves used to be able to make flamberges/flambards and bastard swords in this mod...

I think at one point the game did weapon randomization the way it does armor randomization, but that went away a long time ago and now it's either all cultures make a weapon or none of them do for a given entity. So the larger swords are all exotic things you need to trade for now.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 19, 2014, 03:23:44 pm »

So, shortswords+loot. What cool stuff invaders brought?
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 19, 2014, 03:36:12 pm »

I think at one point the game did weapon randomization the way it does armor randomization, but that went away a long time ago and now it's either all cultures make a weapon or none of them do for a given entity. So the larger swords are all exotic things you need to trade for now.

I meant I thought they had access to those weapons by default, as I remember being able to make them in Goldenrocks. Or did I just imagine that?  :-\

So, shortswords+loot. What cool stuff invaders brought?

Actually we can native produce longswords and the falcions are more machetes made for people cutting instead of plant cutting. As far as foreign made stuff, we have...

Scimitars
Falcatas
Flambards
Several bastard swords
And a single superiorly made copper khopesh, courtesy of a bugbear officer.

The majority are bog standard quality weapons barring the flacions, long, and shorts we made.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 19, 2014, 03:46:03 pm »

I meant I thought they had access to those weapons by default, as I remember being able to make them in Goldenrocks. Or did I just imagine that?  :-\

I don't think I've ever had dwarves making those, but it's not impossible.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 20, 2014, 01:35:04 am »

Around the fortress, on walls that were often used as message boards, the following was posted one night:

Thesis on the Heretics; a Forgemasters insight into the Chaos Dwarfs.

Ever since the first day that we discovered our... twisted cousins, there has been a lot of mystery surrounding the Chaos Dwarfs and what their end goal truly is. Please note that the information listed below is merely a picture placed together by their reported actions on the battlefield, what gear they've brought to the battlefield and rumors of their actions abroad. However, much like me when I added everything together, it does revel some information on the nature of the dark god(s?) that drives them.

Battlefield Tactics:Gathered from reports, stories and what information the odd solder was willing to part with over a stern drink, its hard to get any real idea of what tactics (If any) that the Chaos Dwarfs bring to the battle. They seem to favor marksdwarfs in their squads, but that may have more to do with the fact that those attackers who manage to flee with their lives tend to be marksdwarfs and giving them a glut of the units rather then personal preference for them.

While they ride into battle on a wide range of animals, its pretty clear after the first minute of combat that none of them take the time to train the creatures for war. This suggests that either they have no one in their ranks able to do so, or they simple don't invest the time to train them.

On the matter of their commanders... there is very little to say on the matter, but if the information I heard on the matter was true then the one who lead the siege against us a while back was simply a carpenter who had been given armor and a title. That alone should say enough on this subject.

Battlefield Gear: When it comes to armor, Chaos Dwarfs are in all respects somewhat uniformed. One solid piece of Steel lamellar plate covering their torso and the rest is pretty much junk. It's why almost all Chaos Dwarf kills so far had been head related injuries. Their weapons aren't worth speaking off due to the fact they are utterly shit, clearly made with whatever they had on hand to be mass produced. It seems to be a similar pattern as their animal trainers (or lack there of), pumping out weapons of war without care of the quality of them.

Rumors Abroad: According to news supplied by both the Hobgoblins and the Frost Giants, a number of dwarven fortresses have been lost to Chaos Dwarfs and they are now actively in a currently stalemate war with the Hobgoblins and their allies (These are the only rumors I've heard that are from credited sources at the time of writing this).

The Point: What we have here is an enemy that doesn't wage war to win. If that was the case they would have produced better weapons, better armor, trained their solders and their mounts for combat and most likely have wiped us out by now; with the potential industrial power of several fortresses and the amount of population within each, a dedicated warlord would be well on his way to ruling vast amounts of the world. Instead, all we have seen from our enemy suggests that victory is not their goal.

Instead of being fully kitted out in strong armor, wielding powerful weapons they know how to use under the command of a veteran like a solder Chaos Dwarfs are only given one piece of gear that would protect them for their chest, are given shit weapons that most of them don't seem to have a clue about how to wield and their commanders can't even be considered recruits since even recruits receive weapon training!

This suggests two possible theories: Either all the competent, well equipped solders are currently deployed on the hobgoblin front or the dark force driving these poor forsaken bastards only cares enough to give them the barest amount of equipment needed to give them the chance of killing something on the battlefield before having their head smashed in.

What can we do about this?:Due to our current war with the bug people, we can't afford to send troops to aid our hobgoblin allies against our demented cousins. However, there is something we can do to aid them while also giving us some breathing room from Chaos Dwarf raids. We need to produce and supply our hobgoblin allies with weapons strong enough to overcome the lamellar chest plates that all chaos dwarfs wear. We don't need to supply many, only enough for a squad or so and the Chaos Dwarf casualties should increase to the point that either the stalemate will end in Hobgoblin favor or the Chaos Dwarfs will be forced to divert the forces that would normally try to raid us into the goblin meat grinder instead. Failing that, weapons to take advantage of the weaknesses of Chaos Dwarf armor (head, arms, hands, legs, feet).

This enemy needs to be dealt with as soon as possible.

~Signed, Forgemaster Senshuken~
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 20, 2014, 12:15:10 pm »

Wow, that was a neat little piece there! Not a bad series of observations and conjecture from a dwarf who has only seen battles from the ramparts taking bets like many others on how long enemy troops will last when a patrol finds them.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 20, 2014, 01:42:24 pm »

Here's a short story. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:50:59 pm by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 20, 2014, 01:57:55 pm »

Need's some spit and polish. Kinda heard to follow in its present form. Does seem like those poor bastards blundered into an evil mist though.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 21, 2014, 03:18:48 am »

Need's some spit and polish. Kinda heard to follow in its present form. Does seem like those poor bastards blundered into an evil mist though.

You see, I'm not that good at storytelling. I basically have no idea how to improve that piece.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:07:39 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 21, 2014, 03:35:38 am »

You see, I'm not that good at storytelling. You see, I basically have no idea how to improve that piece.

Well to me it reads sort-of more like a script than a story, if that makes sense. Just without a "<INSERT NAME>:" to denote who is speaking or acting. Here, I think this might give you an idea.

Spoiler: Original exceprt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Slightly modified (click to show/hide)

Basically it's more a matter of how dialogue and the actions that went with them were carried out. I also changed a couple words here and there to make it look a bit nicer. Honestly I was never a great storyteller myself at first. My stuff read like giant bricks once upon a time.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 21, 2014, 06:54:29 pm »

Alright  here we go:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, how I wish I had Mr Frog's camera spikes...

TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 21, 2014, 06:58:03 pm »

I'm seriously wondering what Talonis is planning now. This is certainly interesting.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 21, 2014, 07:36:50 pm »

Spoiler: Test of intent Part 2 (click to show/hide)

Yet again I seem to face the situation where second part is more than twice larger than the first. Nice work coming both from TalonisWolf and Monitor Lisard. I could offer you some advice too, Lisard. Use " instead of - in dialogues. Have no idea why but it generaly reads better that way. My dialogue read like crap while I used -.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 21, 2014, 08:14:45 pm »

I'm seriously wondering what Talonis is planning now. This is certainly interesting.

I'm honestly making it up as I go. Feel free to point me in a more or less vague direction.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 41