Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Normal Updates or Breach adamantine without caution or preparation?

No, I want to see the fort cave in on itself naturally (may be a little boring but the fortress goes on longer.)
- 7 (26.9%)
DOITDOITDOITDOIT-ad infinitum-
- 19 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 41

Author Topic: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civ Forge Community/Story Fortress: FINISHED  (Read 94655 times)

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
Re: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civilization Forge Community Mountainhome!
« Reply #495 on: February 22, 2014, 08:38:45 am »

Need's some spit and polish. Kinda heard to follow in its present form. Does seem like those poor bastards blundered into an evil mist though.

You see, I'm not that good at storytelling. You see, I basically have no idea how to improve that piece.

Well to me it reads sort-of more like a script than a story, if that makes sense. Just without a "<INSERT NAME>:" to denote who is speaking or acting. Here, I think this might give you an idea.

Spoiler: Original exceprt (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Slightly modified (click to show/hide)

Basically it's more a matter of how dialogue and the actions that went with them were carried out. I also changed a couple words here and there to make it look a bit nicer. Honestly I was never a great storyteller myself at first. My stuff read like giant bricks once upon a time.

Yet again I seem to face the situation where second part is more than twice larger than the first. Nice work coming both from TalonisWolf and Monitor Lisard. I could offer you some advice too, Lisard. Use " instead of - in dialogues. Have no idea why but it generaly reads better that way. My dialogue read like crap while I used -.

Thanks, your notes are pretty useful. :) By the way, here's the second part. I hope it's better in a way of storytelling:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:52:34 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 25, 2014, 02:02:39 am »

Well, the dashes everywhere are a little distracting but that's much improved!  :)

Ok, so far maces are in the lead. I'll leave the poll open until I get home from work tomorrow and then we'll get onto picking a material. Just for reference, if mace is picked, silver and adamantine are right out. I've had silver maces bounce off crap more times than I can recall just because it was "inferior" to the material in the way. Thanks armok that chaos dwarves forgot what proper helmets are right?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 25, 2014, 12:29:00 pm »

For a mace...Void Crystal would work pretty well, as would Elementium. Can't recall if Incendium or Ward Iron is better for blunt, though. However, I think the best would be Orichalchum. It's expensive, heavy, and durable. Should be about perfect for a kingly Mace.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 25, 2014, 01:09:52 pm »

Both Orichachum and Void crystal somewhy asosiates with Faceless Void from Dota 2 for me. And that guy could literaly smite you into next week. I'm gonna call this a good feeling about this idea of a grand mace.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 25, 2014, 05:02:48 pm »

Both Orichachum and Void crystal somewhy asosiates with Faceless Void from Dota 2 for me. And that guy could literaly smite you into next week. I'm gonna call this a good feeling about this idea of a grand mace.
Seems Legitimate.

I believe I already voted for it.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 25, 2014, 06:04:38 pm »

Alrighty, looks like maces have it. Time to put up a vote on material, since we appear to be undecided.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 25, 2014, 06:54:25 pm »

Why can we vote for three options?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 25, 2014, 07:24:08 pm »

Why can we vote for three options?

There was a poll at one point (I believe it was pre-embark, don't remember,) with multiple options and I can't figure out how to change it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 04, 2014, 09:50:10 pm »

24th Hematite, 233

The jail cells have been torn down and a single massive holding area with copper chains and a few beds now sits in its place. Goden and Erush have also both been buried and headstones raised properly now, and the King's last remaining situation in need of rectification is his throne room. It isn't quite at the level it needs to be, even after engraving every surface and only supplying the finest made stone furnishings. All the tables and chairs have been torn out and once the Fortress Guard has their space finished, they'll be put to use as a small barracks eating area. Finally don't need to worry about idiots eating in the jail, just the Guard Barracks.

Speaking of which, the old Guard Barracks has been sealed off. I don't want some kid playing on the old boxes in there and breaking his head or something.

28th Hematite, 233

King Onul has informed me that he wishes to field a mace against our enemies. When I asked what he'd like it made from, he said elementium. I spoke with some of the others about this, and those who've studied alchemy say it's a very expensive to produce metal, but second to none but adamantine. The primary obstacle is relon aren, some sort of solution used for making the pure elemental elixer. We also need storm, ward, and frost crystal gems as well as fire hearts, and I'm sure those aren't cheap. Anyway, I've ordered the formation of a King's Guard unit, to specialize in the use of maces. In the meantime, I've asked that some maces be made so King Onul can train properly.

12th Malachite, 233

I found out the Peacekeepers had been making off with the maces intended for King Onul's guards on the ground that they were “much nicer.” Basically they took them because they were made of orichalcum, which is rather valuable, despite having perfectly good beating implements already. I gathered them up, asked them if they wanted King Onul to die on our watch so soon, and of course they said no.

So I had them drop whatever weaponry they had.

DreamerGhost brought in a box full of maces looted from the enemy, made from all kinds of materials. I told them to pick any mace not bearing the Fortress Seal, and that any newly forged maces are for King Onul's bodyguards until further notice.

As much as I am loath to write it, we may need to finally hunt for the blood of the earth. I was looking over everyone's gear and as it stands.... We just can't match demand right now because of fuel. I'm going to bring it up with the Council tonight, to see if our admins are willing to take the chance of running into.... Well, whatever the hell is down there to find it.

Also told the butchers to have at any and all animals we have: Dogs, yaks, doesn't matter. Only things being spared are the ants.

3rd Galena, 233

The dig has commenced. We're also going to try to make a working rail line to make transport of ore and materials down to the place, thoug knowing my luck it'll result in someone getting run over at best. We've begun the seasonal patrols, since it's about time for the humans to come. And the bugs. The troops have thier orders to kill any xelic, silver or violet, on sight.

7th Galena, 233

Came in from patrols and found out Dumed lost it today and commenced to shouting gibberish while tossing clothing at people and animals.

11th Galena, 233

Excavations were hampered in the search for the earth's blood. Onion told me about it, a huge second layer to the caverns. We need to construct what needs to be constructed and get it over with so we can continue downwards. Humans showed up too, so we need to watch out for the bugs. I won't have anyone insulting good honest working dwarves' livlihoods just because they do what they do in whatever they perceive as the wrong way.

-

Got a report in from another patrol. Goblins took a swipe at Dakost and Dragonfly. Dragonfly put down the enemy sergeant in record time and the speargoblins with it spun back around and fled into the brush. That means more goblins are likely in the area, so come sun-up tomorrow will likely be very busy.

14th Galena, 233

Well, I was wrong. Aside from a strangely lone goblin pikeman (who was killed by Darko,) and a master thief (who escaped by sheer agility, outrunning Doren,) the goblins are being rather quiet. There was an attack yesterday, with Degel managing to drive the goblins away with Ferro's assistance. Anyway, the downward search for magma was stalled by yet another cavern layer. Didn't even know the caves went down this deep... Maybe they don't, but it doesn't matter. We need magma to outfit our forces properly and the caves and their residents are an irritant at best.

18th Galena, 233

The traitors come again. What's a little distressing is the number of bowdwarves they have this time. Knowing thier braindead horses they'll end up... Oh, gods, fighting like the sand raiders!

-

Well, it's done. We actually managed to beat them quite handily thanks to the forest hampering thier mobility and absorbing thier attacks. My squad reinforced Tholtig during the battle and reports say that Degel, Doren, Darko, and Dragonfly took on the intruders to the south. The Goannas also took to the field for the first time in a long while, meeting an enemy unit lead by an axelord that Glasseye took out of the battle quite handily, causing the heretics under her leadership to go into a full rout, as well as scaring away an entire unit of bowdwarves. Unfortunately, Degel was injured during the battle but mercifully Parson has informed me there's no permanent damage.

Since hungry patrol dwarves proved to make the fight take a little longer than we would have liked, I put out an order for field packs to carry patrol rations in, three meals a day per dwarf expected to be out on patrol duty.

27th Galena, 233

They did it! The miners found the biggest clue to the presence of magma! Since the shaft ended above it, I had some of the masons draw up plans to go sideways until the miners hit more warm stone, indicating they'll be right on top of it. Then we'll be able to move any and all goods in need of melting down to the blood of our world and render it down for usable metals!

6th Limestone, 233

Incompetent, every single one of them. Even Onion. Apparently despite the fact that it's clearly safe, the idiots refuse to keep digging as they hit more warm rock, slowing excavation of the eventual metalworker's guildhall space to a damned crawl.

8th Limestone, 233

Glasseye named his spear today, making it the first named spear in this place! Good for him.

11th Limestone, 233

I... I didn't think we'd... Well... It's done. Onion found it, while digging out the new ore storage room... Many of us are already eyeing it... Myself included. We must all be thinking the same, that it would put our faithful weapons that have served us so well these last seven years to shame. Yes, there's risks, but with it... We shouldn't take the risk. But if we take it, then nobody would be safe from our blades.

Nobody.

Not even the chaos dwarves.

I'll be up front about it, I used supdwarf to get the godsdamned magmaworks dug out quickly. I got irritated by the job cancel spam and having to constantly redesignate.

So, we hit adamantine by accident. I used reveal to make the miners ignore the warm stone and didn't say any in that imediate view so thought nothing of it. Figured it was off somewhere closer to the edges of the map or futher down. Sent the miners to start digging a new ore stockpile after restoring the unreveled stuff since I didn't think there'd be warm stone to contend with, and bam. Adamantine. Not two tiles in.

I'm gonna have them dig it up and hope for the best, but if something goes wrong we can seal the residential block and non-magma industries off from magma-powered manufacturing. I know we have four spires somwhere around the map thanks to dfhack's feature command, which I used to ensure the spots we haven't seen stayed unseen until we find them the normal way to prevent “Urist McDerpderp cancels collect webs: No path” or similar things. That's actually unprecedented for me, with the most I've seen being three in Spearbreakers and that was ages ago.

Anyway, a few abritary designations lead to us finding the general area of magma, found adamantine, beat back a mounted bowdwarf attack, had someone go stark raving mad, and traded with humans. That's the short version of this update's events. We actually somehow managed to miss the third layer completely according to the feature thing too, which is odd.

With this sudden discovery though, a new poll is up.

And last thing guys, as you know I have a demented love of community forts and desire at leat 2-3 running at any time so I can jump between them when I don't feel like playing one or another, and Masterwork won't be updated for a few months I can finally start one using that. Watch out for it within the next week or two.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 05, 2014, 12:21:23 am »

I'll type something up after school hours tomorrow, if all goes according to plan. Besides, I like trying to fit other peoples stories in, as long as it makes sense for my charecter to have knowledge of them.
GENERATION 32:

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 05, 2014, 02:51:32 am »

-SUBJECTS:DECEASED-
This list shall house those we've lost, claimed or not. Formate will be name followed by cause of death. ABducted children are here as well.
Current casualties: 31

==Citizens Killed by Madness==
Weaver Mistem Loronul: Stark Raving Mad
Farmer Dumed Omristzuglar: Stark Raving Mad
Visiting Merchant Domas Idemdeduk: Berserk Rage; Killed by Caravan Guard

==Soldiers Killed in Action or in Accidents==
Sergeant Lizard Razotshorast: Killed in Action
Hoplite Eral Mikuzoltar: Killed in Action
Hoplite Meng Sengkogan:Killed in Action
Hoplite Ustuth Mokezuzol: Killed in Action
Sergeant Oddom Otast: Killed in Action
Sergeant Adil Lebezmezbuth: Killed in Action
Corporal Goden Roderdodok: Killed in Action
Corporal Erush Nishdeduk: Killed in Action
Private Citrine Tobulkor: Killed in Action
Sergeant Firefly Limorfikod: Drowned
Marksdwarf Stodir Morulzatthud: Killed in Action

==Citizens Killed by Aggressors==
Butcher Feb Imushid: Invader
Visiting Merchant Doren Udiluthmik: Invader
Carpenter Titus Atastlolok: Invader
Wood Burner Zaneg Ginetablel:Forgotten Beast
Assistant Physician Morul Asiznomal: Forgotten Beast

==Citizens Killed in Accidents or by Wildlife==
Farmhand Dumed Omristzuglar: Dehydrated
Animal Trainer Rith Lisidducim: Accident
Butcher Tekkud Lolorlitast: Accident
Engineer Sarvesh Bimshoveth: Accident
Woodworker Catten Mengtost: Accident
Woodcutter Aseaheru Rutoderith: Accident
Jeweler Ral Shammanadil: Accident
Hive Warden Rakust Evostrigoth: Accident
Gemcutter Shiner Vutokegul: Accident
Thresher Meng Sarveshtarem: Fire Imp
Jeweler Minkot Ekastamost: Giant Rat

==Citizens Killed by Time==
Peacekeeper Ited Inodibmat: Old Age
Cook Atir Unibisak: Old Age

==Children Abducted==
Child Monitor Rinulmonom: Abuducted

This will be our newest list, to be linked at the bottom of the migrant list (which is pending revision.)

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 05, 2014, 06:57:48 am »

Could you also review the fan contributions post? It's probably not that important, but some interesting stories are unmentioned, including "Test of intent" part 2.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 05, 2014, 07:11:48 am »

I was worried about that honestly. i have no idea how many things I've missed since I've been all kinds of screwed up.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 05, 2014, 12:37:32 pm »

Well, that's exciting. It'll be interesting to see how this goes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 05, 2014, 04:20:17 pm »

Merchantile and Intelligence

Merchantile

Trade with the humans went more or less as usual.

Earnings from Conflict Bets have been quite good lately, my profits have increased by half. The regular percentage will go into the treasury, of course. (OCC:Will edit in more details if necessary, this section feels a little...empty.)

Intelligence

I took advantage of the trading situation and recruited two humans as agents, so hopefully I'll be able to gather some intel on that side of things.

The investigations of Onul, Chaosmaker and Maskwolf continue, but as yet we haven't made any major breakthroughs. We have found reports on charges laid on Maskwolf by the King, but as yet we haven't ascertained as to what for. It appears to be a response from the King when Maskwolf refused to enter military service, but I feel like there is something deeper we haven't found...

I have taken the liberty of making the old Guard Barracks my Network's headquarters. I'll show you the secret entrance at a later date. Who knew that a barrel could hide the entrance so well? A copy of the list of Casualties has been posted in headquarters to provide incentive.

Attempts to recruit Senshuken have thus far received no response.

Overview

-Trade more or less as normal, my profits have increased by half.

-Recruited two humans as agents.

-Established Headquarters in Old Guard Barracks.

-No progress on Senshuken.

GENERATION 32:
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 41