Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Normal Updates or Breach adamantine without caution or preparation?

No, I want to see the fort cave in on itself naturally (may be a little boring but the fortress goes on longer.)
- 7 (26.9%)
DOITDOITDOITDOIT-ad infinitum-
- 19 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41

Author Topic: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civ Forge Community/Story Fortress: FINISHED  (Read 94660 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civilization Forge Community Mountainhome!
« Reply #510 on: March 05, 2014, 05:31:41 pm »

I can put some stuff in the old guard barracks to correspond with that if you'd like.

Ok, so I'm pretty sure I got the community contributions post up to date. Sombody let me know if I missed something.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 05, 2014, 09:57:37 pm »

Nah, the reason I choose it is because it was convenient- otherwise I'd have had to set it up in some abandoned mineral/ore vein or something. If you really want to, alright. Otherwise, it's just a story point.

Although, it'd make a great secret fallback point and bunker... Meh, might as well make a better one.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 07, 2014, 07:27:14 am »

I'm gonna leave the poll up for another day before continuing on with another update. It's pretty close as to what King Onul will decide on!

EDIT: Evidently opinions are split of the whole small band who voted. I flipped a coin for best 2 of 3 and sword won.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 10, 2014, 05:16:53 pm »

Only nine people voted, but you have a total of ten votes... someone just trolled the vote.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 10, 2014, 05:32:02 pm »

Actually in any given split 2 or 3 way vote, I spread mine out evenly. So one vote on each is actually from me, as a matter of avoiding showing favor to any one option.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 22, 2014, 07:53:26 am »

Day 1

Overseer has acquired a box of carved runic symbols from somewhere. He says that he bought them from some wandering merchant. Just a little game to pass the time. Carvings on the box name the game “Runescape”.  Symbols look rather interesting, they are made from various materials, though I can’t make heads nor tails of them. Too bad there was no rulebook in the box. Probably something from the islands. Many isolated communities with rich traditions live there.

Day 3

Overseer has gotten really interested in those runes. Saw him today with runes scattered across the table. It seemed that he was trying to arrange the symbols in some pattern or another. Maybe the runes are a puzzle game?

Day 6

Overseer has decided to take a few days off so that he would have a bit more time to search for a pattern among the runes. Well, seeing as the backlog of work that needs to be done extends for a few months, he is well entitled to do so.

Day 9

Overseer has not left his room for a whole day. Some of us are getting worried. I decided to ask around a bit. None of the dwarves here have ever seen lone merchant that would be selling puzzle games, or, in fact, any merchant aside from seasonal ones. Seeing as the seasonal merchants left over six weeks ago, this is worrying. Furthermore, nobody here had ever heard of any game named even similarly to Rune scape.

Day 15

Overseer has spent more than three days in his room without leaving once. Before, he would at least leave to get a drink and something to eat, but recently, even this has ceased. Some had wanted to go see if Overseer was all right, only to find the door to his room locked. People are too worried to talk, the great hall, which once was so full of conversation that you couldn’t hear anything from further than two steps away is now silent as a grave.

Day 18

What fools we were! The writing on the box did not mean Rune Scape. It meant Run, Escape. Overseer has been claimed by some alien spirit, and the remaining dwarves are having their life sucked out of them! They do not notice it, but their once sharp minds are dulling by the moment. They seem to have forgotten how to speak, they are constantly repeating same actions over and over again. The select few who had been of stronger will and noticed what was happening have all but left the fortress. Alas, running away is not for me. I have only one choice now; I must confront the overseer, and destroy the runes.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 22, 2014, 08:42:16 am »

xD that was a good way to start my morning. Actually I have been playing the fort. A giant cave crab killed a glazer named Alath and Vect's leg got torn off. She somehow survived (barely) which I count as a damn miracle since dwarves her size usually bleed out.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 22, 2014, 11:36:47 am »

Actually I have been playing the fort.

Glad to hear it, and glad to hear that you liked the story. I could just leave it at that, as a short horror story or I could add day 19 with a nice ending when you post the next update. Take your pick, ledies and gentlemen.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 22, 2014, 11:41:08 am »

Either or is fine, that's up to you.

Also the incident with said crab has taught me something: I have no fucking clue what I'm doing with these minecart tracks and at least one more dwarf will probably be dead on the inaugural ore delivery to the store room it leads to.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 22, 2014, 04:05:47 pm »

Meh. Dwarf Fortress is a game which almost rewards incompetence. With hilarity.
GENERATION 32:

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 23, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »

From the diary of Alligator, glassmaker:

Haven't seen the Overseer for a while... Selore claims he's been staring at some kind of a glowing glass block and pressing on some strange board with letters scribbled on it.  And he's been doing it for weeks... I dunno, dwarf. That's really weird. Our fellow tigerwoman must have mistaken it for something. Those tribals have quite an imagination...
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 23, 2014, 03:25:41 pm »

I dunno if I should add the last two joke things to the community stories bit or not :P

There may be an actual update tonight! Huzzah!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 24, 2014, 09:08:02 pm »

13th Limestone, 233

A glazer named Alath was found dead today in the caverns near the construction site. According to the report, Alath's head had been crushed, as if by a huge claw. I've sent word to the others, I'm heading down to investigate, and if I can, bring Alath's killer to justice.

-

Vect is in rough shape. I heard workers screaming from the access stairwell, and passed three on the way through the opening. Vect's leg has been ripped off, but amazingly, unlike many dwarves Vect's size such as Citrine, she survived, though just barely. She tumbled down near an underground lake and Frost found her, evidently having fled there himself earlier from the same crab that killed Alath and assaulted Vect. I was... Angry, actually. Very angry. At least one dwarf died following my building and excavation orders and another has been lamed for life. I felt such power fill me... I showed that monster no mercy.

Shutbite sliced away fist its massive pincer (though not quite as massive as that beast we fought on the surface years ago,) and then with a mighty stab while it was still was reeling from the severed limb, I ripped away some vital from below it.

Vect and Frost both say they saw at least one more lurking in the caves during their flight, so I'm here now, waiting for it to come. Then, I'll explore this place on my own. I want to see whatever dangers are down here for myself, since the weavers have insisted on a gatehouse rather than total sealing of this cavern level sot hey can continue to harvest the silk, which they'd been doing without my orders since the breach was made. But, in light of Alath's death and Vect's laming, I'm going to ignor that demand. I wills till poke around however.

15th Limestone, 233

Well it's done. Ran into the second one while it was heading for the stairs. It took some dodging and rolling since I didn't have a mason to distract it with, but once it fell over from lost or damaged limbs, the fight was decided. I let the others know to drag up the remains and get a coffin ready for Alath before the poor bastard starts to stink up the place.

27th Limestone, 233

The Metalsmith's Guild can go screw. We need the complex ready now, and Onion told me two things.

One, we got access to magma. Two, she managed to fish a chunk of adamantine out that was apparently close to the surface of where they dug through the floor. Her pick melted of course, but still. We're apparently near more. I also heard that an exploratory dig northward hit a rather large vein of Tetrahedrite, which means more cheap and plentiful copper to fill Zacen's inane toy demands. I swear, it's like she didn't get to play as a kid or something, and I know damn well that she had a good upbringing.

28th Limestone, 233

Well, the ore transport system is nearly ready. We still need an ore cart to do the heavy lifiting and wheelbarrows for the loading station, but still. We've also got several operational magma smelters, just need anvils for the forges.

Just think Journal, soon we won't need to worry about fuel concerns, and the whole defense force will be both properly armed and armored! And more importantly, our most trusted smiths will be able to easily equip his majesty and his honor guards in that most precious of metals.

3rd Sandstone, 233

I've commissioned a special Iron minecart and six wheelbarrows. In case the minecart shipping system fails to work, I want the wheelbarrows handy to get ore down there quickly and efficently, or as efficiently as can be done considering this place's layout.

7th Sandstone, 233

We should probably clean up the area outside...

11th Sandstone, 233

Dastot went a bit... Well funny last month around the 27th. She went on about some nonsense involving mushrooms, honey bees, foxes, and bricks, and eventually finished a stone crown today; not exactly useful, but hey. At least she didn't snap and try to kill someone with that arbalest she's lugging around.

I've also announced at a council meeting we'll continue to abide by Zacen's toy demands, but all toys made under mandate will now be made of copper and melted down upon completion. Zacen was furious, but King Onul said that it was within my right as Overseer of Fortress Operations (apparently that's the full title of the position; I know how to gut a heretic a dozen ways but never knew that!) to make such a declaration. He and everyone else present at the meeting agreed that it was a wise choice. Zacen's mandates get fulfilled, nobody gets beaten or locked up, and the materials get recycled for other purposes.

I've also gone through our stocks with Solon, and once metal production is underway all the old weapons too big for us to use or below a certain quality as well as the vast magority of the armor in this place is going to be melted down for scrap.

-

--The following is a notice that began appearing on noticeboard around the fortress shortly after consctuction of the magmaworks began--

By order of Overseer of Operations, Local Metlaworkers' Guild Head, and King Onul Willcloister,

All extraneous metallic items of protection, battle, and entertainment below Guild Standards will be confiscated and melted down for use in newer and higher quality goods, both military and civilian. The Metalsmithing Guild appreciates your cooperation in this great recycling effort.

UPDATE! FOR THE FIRST TIME IN WEEKS! UPDAAAAAATE!

So yeah, a short little update. Nothing overtly interesting happened, but I may possibly make my first working minecart delivery system that my possibly not result in a dozen dead or injured dwarves, our magma facilities are up and running after years of using elf homes and ancient dead plants to drive our furnaces, and there's more adamantine to be had. Probably gonna accidentally destroy the fort or something, I'm sure.

Also, it appears king Onul, while technically friendless, has acquainted himself with over half the population of the fortress. May try some overlapping statue gardens (one for him, one for the rest of the residents,) to encourage him to make some friends and maybe find himself a nice little dwarfette to pop out an heir with before he marches off to join his people on the horrific and bloody battlefield that is the Carryscar surface. And probably die.

Anyway, while it may be both short and late, it's some advancement! I'll try to get back onto this more, thanks for your patience guys.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 25, 2014, 11:20:56 am »

Very nice!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 25, 2014, 01:18:19 pm »

*Takes a bow* Thank you very much.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41