Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Normal Updates or Breach adamantine without caution or preparation?

No, I want to see the fort cave in on itself naturally (may be a little boring but the fortress goes on longer.)
- 7 (26.9%)
DOITDOITDOITDOIT-ad infinitum-
- 19 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41

Author Topic: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civ Forge Community/Story Fortress: FINISHED  (Read 94670 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civilization Forge Community Mountainhome!
« Reply #540 on: March 27, 2014, 03:16:45 pm »

Pretty much, yes. You could also add 1-2 arbalests for "self-defence". I believe, Alligator's already carrying one around, right?

That she is. Ammo of course they'd have to make themselves since anything else is earmarked for the Bugbats.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 27, 2014, 04:24:06 pm »

"From the diary of Alligator, glassmaker Freetown mayor:

Those brutes just don't know what art is! Today, when digging for some interesting crafts, I found a great-looking amulet wrapped in dirty cloth. The overseer - this smug-fased ham-fisted grunt just dumps the beautiful artifacts everywhere! He does not care if it is a modest craft or a precious masterpiece - if it's not a weapon or piece of armor, he just throws it away! I heard him call it "waste of material"!

That's enough for me. I, for everyone, proclaim the independent city of Freetown! F**k the king - he was a militarist anyway. All free craftsmen are welcome to join our community, where dwarves enjoy freedom of art.

First of all, we need to choose a secure territory for our new town. Maybe, we'll have to claim some of Ozkakurrith' halls. Of course, we are not going to wage war with our brothers, but we'll never give in.

They took our liberty, but we will get it back.

Glory to Freetown!"

Interesting... I see my intelligence agency is going to be busy in the far future. I don't think they'll notice for a long while, though- investigating the King, Chaosmaker, etc. is bound to move the focus elsewhere.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 09, 2014, 07:27:57 pm »

Heya guys, just wanted to give you a heads up that I'm not dead. Flooding has begun but it's kinda slow going since it was a brook, not a major river or something of similar volume and I had to keep it small to make it slightly less obvious. Also construction on the supposed Freetown has begun and I have to kill a salt-blob.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 09, 2014, 07:52:43 pm »

Good luck with the Flooding!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 09, 2014, 09:48:53 pm »

You'd think flooding would be a perfect solution for a salt-blob, but sadly that's not the case.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 09, 2014, 10:50:05 pm »

You'd think flooding would be a perfect solution for a salt-blob, but sadly that's not the case.

I know right? Just as well though. Hell, took a week for the water to finally trickle through the bars into the main stairs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 20, 2014, 04:50:32 pm »

17th Sandstone, 233

Of all the nerve.

One of the craftsdwarves, Alligator, had the gaul to declare a secession at a council meeting, citing my apparent disregard for the fine craftsdwarfship of those not involved directly with the military as the reason. She brought up one of our artifacts, an amulet, being found in a storage bin with other trade goods and old clothes, and said my disdain for such fine crafts is inexcusable.

King Onul tried to talk her down and she told him to go fuck off after she insulted me, calling him a militaristic prick as bad as me, and Maskwolf made a point of saying that it's dwarves like us who keep the xelics, bugbears, and goblins from killing dwarves like her and Talonis said that the amulet got left there by whoever made it, that it isn't my job to store those things. It's the job of the craftsmen or the vault staff and he pointed out if I didn't care about the less useful artifacts, I'd have never ordered a vault (gold plated at that!) specifically to protect them be built. Zacen meanwhile was still fuming over the toy melting declaration. I haven't seen her since the meeting.

Regardless, Alligator is gathering followers and there's already been reports of food, drink, seeds, and tools going missing, as has a farmhand named Dumed. The official release of the missing dwarf case hasn't been announced, but nobody's seen that dwarf in days. I'm worried a crab might've gotten him. Or her. I never actually met the reported dwarf, I don't even know if Dumed is a he or she.

21st Sandstone, 233

Sounds of construction somewhere above the magmaworks. Found several hollowed out veins of ore I didn't order mined, but I sent a collection crew in to retreive the ore. We need all the gold we can get for the bank plating. Tun said something about a vein hollowed out leading to the dry ground across the lake, but I didn't send a crew to investigate.

If those “Freetown” fools want to die out there, subsisting on plump helmets and slime mold alone that's their business.

22nd Sandstone, 233

The Peacekeepers have finally released the report.  A coffin and slab are being readied in hopes that someone will find Dumed's corpse.

-

Well, Dumed was found before she/he started to rot, according to Selore. They'd found the poor bastard dead, having somehow died of dehydration.

25th Sandstone, 233

I'm heading into the caverns again. The Cave Dragons were on patrol near the entrance to the palace and they heard some kind of freakish screeching. Can only mean one thing, and that's another one of those... Whatever the fuck they are.

Nothing Shutbite can't deal with though.

-

The miners are clearing a path to the beast for me now. I'm writing just to pass the time as Onion and someone else are switching out. -After this, there appears to be a mess of nonsensical poems, doodles of swords, dwarves striking down chaos dwarves, dwarves striking down xelics, and an amulet being struck down by a work hammer.-

2nd Timber, 233

Still waiting. Patrols have begun topside, and it was my unit's turn. Ah well, I'll get up there soon enough. Just hope they leave some raiders for me to kill!

5th Timber, 233

I've been informed there's a leak somewhere topside. Where was easy to spot. Someone used nickle bars to try and mask where the leak was made, but obviously they forgot that they'd need to paint it to keep it from being shiny in the torchlight.

Regardless though, I'm told nothing can be done about it right now. The water's coming in just fast enough to keep anyone from removing the metal and bricking it up or putting some treated wood over the hole. So I've sent an order to the miners via Selore to try and make some kind of drain, to at least keep the fortress from flooding.

6th Timber, 233

The beast seems to have moved on, much to our annoyance. And the miners, being spread thin and down a tool, failed at their first attempt to make a drain, but Grimmash manage to avert the disaster at the cost of some architecture (namely a an already smoothed floor,) so that crises is abated for the time being. And on the upside, whoever tried to sabotage us instead gave us a lovely makeshift waterfall, which will be excellent for morale!

9th Timber, 233

Still wary of the beast. Dunno where it is. And now there's rumors circulating about two things.

1. Is that Zacen may have been the one to try and sabotage the main stairwell. She has the knowhow to do it, and is one of seven dwarves who knows the exact location of everything architecturally and how to wreck it. The others are my fellow founders as well, but they were either on patrol or confirmed to be busy at the time the sabotage would have been carried out.

2. If not her, then there's a possible chaos dwarf in our midst. I've heard that Talonis has been assembling a network of informants and such alongside his failed attempts to convert people to the Vamrii faith (or one resembling it,) specifically to keep an eye on such an occurance.

Since intelligence is as vital to a war as good soldiers, good weapons, and good (or at least plentiful) food and drink, I've had the carpenters set to work on refitting the old Peacekeeper Barracks for use as his Intelligence Headquarters. This act was approved by both Nuri and King Onul, who agreed it a wise move and its in my hopes that he'll bring anything he hears to my attention or has Selore ferry that info to me.

I've also given permission for the Peacekeeper mess area be used as a public meeting place. People eat there anyway no matter how often the Peacekeepers throw people out, so it only makes sense to let people congregate willingly where the guards can watch them.

On one more note, the minecart system appears to be functioning properly. I did a check and found that a minecart laden with approved ores was waiting for a proper stockpile to be set up so it could be unloaded. I've had one set up, and between the minecart and so many free hands, there was a massive exodus of sorts when dwarves went in a massive surge to relocate ores.

11th Timber, 233

Nothing has been found except an abnormally irate kestrel that took a swipe at me this morning. It's dead now. I took the liberaty of this lull in action to park out areas that need to be cleared of bodies. I'm strongly considering having the dump pumped full of magma to incinerate and otherwise melt down everything, but I don't know of anyone here with that expertise. If I recall right I asked the king about it, and anyone with knowledge of magma engineering still lives in the old capital and are trying to fix the mess that happened in its magmaworks.

13th Timber, 233

The Vamarii beat our kin here this year. Toad reported sighting them to the west.

-

It begins. At sundown I got a report from Thor and Ferro, who had a run in with a pack of leopards, ones trained for war and bearing metal plated collars used to denote such. The enemy comes, and is likely to be found by our patrols in the morning.

Apparently Thor took the bulk on alone, having not bothered to inform Ferro of the one stalking him. Pyrope and Mad Bomber jumped in as well, scoring a kill each while Thor killed three and Ferro killed the one on him. The names appear to be written in Sand Raider, so we at least know who to expect.

To compound issues, Firefly slipped and fell in the cavern lake and drowned.

He's officially listed as missing until we fish his body out, which Aluna is demanding left and right. In the meantime, a grate has been placed over the most likely culprit, the spot Grimmash channeled out to let the water get out of the stairwell.

14th Timber, 233

There was a clash at our southern border today. Sand Raiders like we expected, riding a mix of camels and horses. Most came without bows, and according to Toad, the raiders sounded pretty pissed off that their mounts wouldn't do as they commanded and take them into battle. Such unruly things horses. And camels for that matter.

But there was something else Toad reported as well. A third group this one lead by the raiders' general, a human and known pain the ass for many a kingdom by the name of Nek. Evidently his personal guard ride tigers and skunks into battle.

According to the report, Ferro blundered right into Nek's rearguard and after downing one of the skunk-raider duos, went after the general himself; Mad Bomber can vouch for Ferro having done the deed as he saw the blow the ended the enemy general. But there was something worse that was shouted from the walls.

The caravan from the homeland had arrived, from the south, and right in the midst of many of the sand raiders.

Danananaaaaaaa! An actual factual update! So, in short, we lost a few people to apparently mysterious means, the minecart is working somehow, and we killed a general! The FB is still roaming around the lake now, apparently it got bored of waiting for the miners to dig a hole to it. Toad is also alive, as she managed to do what Goden couldn't and survive a swarm of large angry predators that came down on her when she found the sand raider general and his squad.

Also, food for thought for your dwarves: Could Firefly have really been pushed in? Was Dumed locked in his room until near dead by an intruder? Was it really Zacen who tried to drown the fort in the most hilariously inefficient manner possible?

Also I have found sand raiders seem to have a bizarre fascination with mauls and warhammers.

Anyways, enjoy guys!

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 20, 2014, 05:15:49 pm »

Could Firefly have really been pushed in? Was Dumed locked in his room until near dead by an intruder? Was it really Zacen who tried to drown the fort in the most hilariously inefficient manner possible?
Tune in next time, same Ozkakurrith time, same Ozkakurrith channel!
left eye

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: April 20, 2014, 05:55:06 pm »

Exciting! Glad you're updating again!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: April 20, 2014, 05:58:24 pm »

Never claimed to not be playing or not updating anymore, just now updates are more spread out.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: April 20, 2014, 09:26:29 pm »

Merchantile and Intelligence

Merchantile

There is grumbling and dissent amongst some of the craftsdwarves, who have gone ahead to form a 'Freetown'. This will actually increase productivity, as competition between Freetowners and Loyals reaches a head. In fact, bets are already being placed on which side will produce more goods each week! Extraordinary profits, I must say.

I await the potential arrival of the Dwarven Caravan, but I don't hope for much- any fool who drives their caravan right into a fight already in progress is to stupid to recognize a good deal.

We should allow tales and rumours of us killing that Human Sandraider General to spread- it may increase confidence in our ability to protect future caravans, attracting traders and potential migrants.

Intelligence

The more, to quote a comrade, 'Pissed off' of the Craftsdwarves have gone ahead ands started their own settlement, known as 'Freetown'. They do not appear to be a threat at this time, but if there is an enemy amongst us it stand to reason they may try to incite a civil war- a careful watch must be maintained, and the traitors amongst us must be found and apprehended!

The suspicious deaths of Firefly and Dumed, combined with the Sabotage, appears to be results of Extremists actions, from both the Loyalist and Freetowner alike. You may want to increase the Peacekeeping core.

Progress on our investigations have been slow, as my network is still growing- however, we have not been able to place Chaosmaker during the attempted sabotage, nor Maskwolf or Zacen.

Dwarves love their independence, as they should, and are hard to convince into spying on their brethren. As hard as it makes it for me to expand my operations, at least I'm assured no one from the Chaosdwarves or Xelics are going to have an easy time placing moles in our organization. I am certain we are only dealing with two or three infiltrators, if only we could pin them down!

To sum things up:

-We are keeping a careful eye on Freetown, and should Chaosmaker or any of our other suspects go over there, I suggest having a squad patrol the entrance to the Freetown Cavern.

-There appears to be conflict between Freetowner and Loyalist factions, which is what is responsible for the two deaths and the sabotage. A Peacekeeping force may be required.

-We may want to spread the news of our success against the Sandraiders to attract business.

-The one in charge of the Caravan is a complete and utter imbecile.

-Our investigations are not making to much progress due to our lack of manpower. This will take time to remedy, but I easily have the resources to do what is needed.

-Betting profits have reached record highs- this is due to competition between Freetowner and Loyalist workers.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"So, you are the one in charge of the Freetowners."

"Yes. We may not look like much, but then, neither did this Fortress to start with. We will honour our work!"

I glance around at the site of Freetown. It's a relatively dismal sight, but it does have potential. Of course, me being here could be considered 'Treason', and I really wish I had a better option...

I turn my gaze back to Alligator. She is quite suspicious of me, as she should. Really, I should be shutting them down and arresting them for Treason, but unfortunately that is not an option.

Especially if what the reports are hinting at are true...

"Look,  I don't expect you to trust me. But right now, I need you! Freetown may be this fortresses only hope if the things I'm hearing about the King are true." I proclaim, watching for her reaction to my next statement. Depending on how she reacts, I could be in very deep trouble. "I have even seen reports of him being responsible for the Mountainhome's Magmawork problem, some even go so far to claim he purposely sabotaged it!" Her eyes widen. Good, she isn't in league with Onul.

"And if even a sliver of what I've heard from Maskwolf is true, things may take a turn for a worse. I may need you."

Alligator turns and watches the construction of some farmland thoughtfully. "Alright, fine. Let's say I believe you. What's in it for us?" She turns and faces me, her gaze one of iron determination. "Why should we risk our newfound freedom and livelihood?"

I ponder this- she does have a point- if even a hint of our fallback plan reaches the King's ears  they'd be better off offering themselves off as a Xelic Smorgasbord! "Alright, how about this. Me and my operatives will sneak in supplies and a quarter of my profits as funding, and you will be provided edited copies of the reports I give to Splint and the King. In return, you will follow the plan and be willing to provide refuge for any dwarf my agency requires protection for. Are we at an agreement?"

Alligator grins- she knows a bargain when she sees it. She is a Craftsdwarf after all. "Alright, it's a deal."

Hopefully, I'll never have to implement the plan... or Amarok and Armok help us...

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:39:16 am by TalonisWolf »
GENERATION 32:

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 21, 2014, 03:25:27 am »

..."Another pile of intellegence reports, I see?" - someone asked mockingly in a low, femenine voice. Selore shuddered, almost dropping the papers and looking around. Tall, slim silouette was hiding in shadows behind one of the statues.

"Come here, baby. Mind a little talk?"

The tigerwoman slipped behind the statue and found Alligator, dressed in black coat. She was wearing strange glasses with slight green tint. A smile lit up her face.

"Good to see you, kid." Alligator narrowed her eyes and leaned on the wall. Selore blushed.

"It's not what you think!" she whispered loudly. "I don't spy on anyone..."

"Nevermind, my fluffy friend." Alligator grinned. "Look, could you do me a favour?"

"...Well, sure." The tribal suddenly frowned. "I understand you dwarves, but I'm not going to spy on Splint either."

"Don't worry, I want something else." the glassmaker sighed - "You know, we Freetowners are all under surveillance... I need someone trustworthy to deliver the correspondence to the locals."

"Oh, I'm fine with this." Selore gazed down the corridor. Someone was standing next to the stairhall, listening to their talk.

"Don't worry kid, I got this." Alligator nodded. "Here, take this. Give it to Anvil."  - she pulled a large envelope from under her coat and handed it to Selore. The tigerwoman swallowed and nodded.

"Be careful, kid." the mayor of Freetown sighed. "You go first."

"From the personal log of Alligator, mayor of Freetown:

We finally managed to set up farm plots and organize a bunch of workshops. We also discussed some issues in our newly-appointed senate. I suggested inviting miners to mine out the gems for the jewelers that might support our settlement. We also decided to hire more woodcutters to fill our stockpiles with cave wood.

A couple of days ago, we were visited by Talonis Wolf, who offered his servises as double agent. Although he seems to be loyal to Splint, we yet share our opinion on the King. Anyway, I accepted his offer, and also gave him some information on our current project. The senate asked me to find a way to increase our exports. Of course, we could always smuggle a bunch of trinkets into the trade depot, but we need something more than that.

Here's the plan: we're trading with Ozkakurrith using a fake trading company. Let me call it... Enigma Imports. It will sell high-quality clothes,  backpacks, quivers, furniture, mechanisms, and so on. I hope Talonis will help us with this.

About the defences - one of the senators said that we should construct more ballista parts and organize emplacemens somewhere  closer to the surface. I also sent a letter to Anvil to convince her and other metalworkers to join us.

Glory to Freetown!"
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:29:20 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 21, 2014, 10:43:00 am »

And so starts the Black Market! :D

Well written, my friend. I look forward to doing buisness!
GENERATION 32:

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 21, 2014, 11:12:32 am »

Hey, Splint, could you let me know who some of Anvil's closest metalworking friends are? I'd like to write up the scene of here discussing things with them, but I'd rather have names to work with. (as well as gender as specialty)
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 21, 2014, 12:07:39 pm »

Hey, Splint, could you let me know who some of Anvil's closest metalworking friends are? I'd like to write up the scene of here discussing things with them, but I'd rather have names to work with. (as well as gender as specialty)

Dunno about being actual friends, but her peers include Morgan (Armorer, female) Rivet (Metalcrafter, Male) and several others. I'll have to have a look at the fortress forgemasters to know for sure.

And so starts the Black Market! :D

Well written, my friend. I look forward to doing buisness!

It'll be some time before their goods manage to go to the depot. We're still trying to pawn off all the shields we get from invaders until all the smelters are up and running.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41