Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Normal Updates or Breach adamantine without caution or preparation?

No, I want to see the fort cave in on itself naturally (may be a little boring but the fortress goes on longer.)
- 7 (26.9%)
DOITDOITDOITDOIT-ad infinitum-
- 19 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41

Author Topic: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civ Forge Community/Story Fortress: FINISHED  (Read 94652 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civilization Forge Community Mountainhome!
« Reply #585 on: July 25, 2014, 12:48:06 am »

1. Carrayscar is an affront to them, and this must be done...

2. It must be done...

3. Our lords demand we free their kin!

4. IT MUST BE DONE!

Umid Ozkakurrith.
The dark ones demand it.

It was dark outside, the gates of Carryscar safely closed, its doors shut. Only the nightwatch and dwarves who prefered to work in less crowded conditions roamed the halls. In the underdark, the muddy caverns of Carryscar where beasts feared to tread for fear of death, a lone dwarf, a maddened look in his eyes and a metallic eight pointed star sewn to his armor, slips within the fortress's belly.

He descends, pick in hand, down to the magma forges, to where the holiest of metal resides, away from maddwarves who would abuse it for pointless trinkets. He followed the mine tracks there, signs of a dwarf having left for a drink or snack intent to return evident. Be he didn't care. He comes to the long and large carved tunnel, and his pick strikes the ground in awe: The seers' words were true! They had found the spire he was destined to unseal! He approached slowly, his wonder overtaking any sense of urgency. Once in place, his rusted iron pick rose, and was stayed by a shrill screaming siren. He turned, seeing a dwarf flee with steam whistling from a box on the wall of the shaft he'd followed down. It didn't matter. His masters would be pleased, and they would welcome him. He struck the stone.

And released his masters' kin.

And so the possible end approaches guys. The next proper update will not be a normal one, and any subsequent story posts until this calamity passes won't be either. Sorry about the odd colors. felt the need to emphasise where he was with adamantine cyan/blue and magma red orange. And whoever is first to translate the dwarven aside from Ozkakurrith will receive *dur durr* a full drawing of thier dwarf! Colors, background, the works, all to your specification.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile

"Carryscar will crumble!
Monster kin will rise!"
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile

I'd be angry about not checking for possible update earlyer if not for staying in vilage without PC for this whole week.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Carryscar will crumble!
Monster kin will rise!"

And we have the first come winner! You can PM me the details on that drawing if you want it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One strike. The residual tetrahedrite fell away.

Two strikes: His pick bit into the adamantine-laden stone underneath.

Three strikes. Four strikes. The rock began to crumble.

Five strikes. Six strikes. Seven strikes.

Eight strikes. The hole is made.

-

“Colonel!” Solon had been screaming for Splint as he ascended the fortress after barricading the way down, and had only just broke into the barracks. The odd little dwarf dressed in purple had be a confusing sight for the visiting frost giants, but they simply continued to pack up to head home.

The Cazadors stopped thier sparring and demonstrations at the sudden interruption, with Splint walking over to the panting mess of a bookkeeper.

“Solon? What are you doing up here?” The officer asked. “Catch your breath first. I'd like to be able to actually understand whatever it is you rushed up here for.”

“I... Doing night stocks... TRAITOR. IN THE FORTRESS.”

At those words anyone without a full-face helmet had the color drain from thier faces.

“And he... He fucking breached the spire!

Splint, now paler than most ghosts, turned to adress his squad.

“Toad.”

“Sir?”

“Alert the rest of the militia, tell them I want them all down at the-” He was cut off by Solon who said the way down was sealed with a metal and rock barricade he'd oredered some haulers to build. “Alright, fine. Tell them to meet down at Solon's Barricade. The rest of you, inform the King, Zacen, and Nuri of the situation. Chances are they're all asleep right now.”

“Frankly we should've been too. But we just had to decide to do some night drills.” Cerol said with a small chuckle.

“Good thing we're awake then.”

-

“This is everyone?” Splint said, a half hour later. The barricade was crude, but sturdy, and if anything awaited on the other side, it couldn't break through.

Thor stepped forward, the buttplate of his feared skull-cracker thunking against the floor. “Aye sir. We've all said our goodbyes and made peace with our makers. We're ready to advance.”

“Good. Where's Solon? He was supposed to-”

“Colonel!” Came a familiar voice from the back of the gathered dwarven warriors. King Onul was as up-beat as ever as he muscled his way through the crowded hall, scabbard in hand. “Colonel, wait!”

“Err, Sir, I thought I'd told you to help everyone find shelter.”

“Yes, yes, you did. But! I wanted to give you something!”

“I don't thi-”

“Oh but you do. Your sword Colonel, your sword!” He held his own out, and pointed to the iron blade on Splint's hip. “Don't want you going off to fight some abomination with an old iron blade that had difficulty with far less threatening creatures!”

Splint was about to say something about his sword being insulted when he thought about. Shutbite had served him well, but it was an old and cheap blade even when he had bought it years ago for his work as a caravan guard, and surrounded by blades of night crystal, steel, and even adamantine, it even looked... Backwards to still wield, its quality well below military standards of his nation. Hell, for all he knew it was just some human made peice meant for one of thier conscripts.

“Thank you sir.” He said after a small mental farewell to his sword. He unfastened his scabbard, and held his iron blade out to his king, who took it and gave the officer his own. “Take good care of Shutbite your majesty. I'll want it back once we're finished down there.”

Onul smiled and took the iron sword. “Of course Colonel. Now then, out of the way, I need to get the door for you!”

Everyone present was slightly taken aback by this, but said nothing. Before long, they were descending into the sweltering heat of the magma forges. There was no sign of any intruder, save a dead dwarf who'd shoved his head into a smelter, apparently out of despair. However it was clear he or she had done their duty to the evils they worshipped. The chambers and tunnels were filled by a sickly purple haze, and as they advanced towards the breach in eerie silence broken only by the clanking of mismatched suits of dwarven armor they could tell they were not alone, the horrid growls and cries of some unknown horrors coming loud and clear from the darkest depths.

But strangely, they had failed to crawl forth into the world.

-

“How's construction going Anvil?” Splint asked, approaching the busying workers.

Shifted her weight uncomfortably. She was constantly nervouse near the breach, all the metalworkers were. “It's... It's going. Honestly my strength is in forging blades and spears, not directing construction.”

Splint nodded. His soldiers were eager for a fight by this point. “I know, but you're the head of the metalworkers' guild here, and that means this falls to you. As well as the fact metal was the most readily available material. Not sure why you went with aluminium though.”

“Lighter, easier to work with. Simple as that.” Anvil said with a shrug.

“How long?”

“Another week, maybe two if anyone decides to take thier month off.” She sighed, and watched her youngest child badgering one of the other smiths to make him into a tin sword. “This is going to end badly you know.”

“Mhmm. Well, keep at it. Whatever's down there is keeping everyone awake with the noises they're making.”

-

I present to thee people, the most lack luster, short, and cliffhanger-y ending ever. This is where updates are likely to end for Carryscar, sad as it is to say, so it'll be listed as [FINISHED]. This fort had a truly amazing run, lasting far longer than most I played save an old glacier fort I lost long ago and you guys have been the heart and soul of it, but I want to end the fort on an ambiguous note and before I start another project. On that note though, I may still necro the thread from time to time with the odd peice of artwork such as the one for Monitor Liisard, though you guys are more than welcome to continue the story yourselves via stories or roleplay, whichever you prefer.

Did we crush the demonic threat? Were our fighting dwarves overwhelmed? We'll never know. In the spoiler will be the details of what went down with the breach.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's lots of things that remain unfinished, but it's clear our large and powerful militia negates damn near all threats and nobles aside from Zacen (Nuri's been incumbent for years now if you've paid attention, and Onul's demands are completely within reason,) with reasonable preferences eliminates the threat of justice. No FUN means no good stories for you guys after a point, and that's not what I want.

One example is Freetown. It's carved out but it's not furnished, stocked, or even inhabited in-game, and another is Onul's palace, which is lacking windows in places or that town square I wanted. But, due to mainly the lack of a real challenge and no desire to embark on stupidly complicated engenieering projects (I just don't care for those sorts of things much.) Hell I should have put more into the artwork even, but I feel this gets the job done and oddly... Suits the fort better for some reason.

Anyway, if anyone wants the save, it's here. I really, truly couldn't have asked for better people to be an active audience than you guys, and you were with me for more than one first event ever in close to three years of playing this great game.

I hope you all enjoyed the story, such as it was, and I'll see you on my next story project! The only question for that is... Humans or orcs?

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile
Re: Ozkakurrith "Carryscar," A Civ Forge Community/Story Fortress: FINISHED
« Reply #590 on: August 06, 2014, 05:15:23 am »

Thanks for the good work.
left eye

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 06, 2014, 01:24:06 pm »

Glazedcoast had the simmiliar reaction from demons. But it was a pit in the dirt among fields where phlegm rained from the sky ruled by most evil overseer of them all.

Kinda disapointing, I had few thoughts abaut what to write when we got curbstomped by the demons.

Ah well, than you for the good work. I still have your Riverrun.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 06, 2014, 01:27:55 pm »

Thanks for the Story, Splint! It was a good fortress. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 06, 2014, 01:42:51 pm »

Kinda disappointing, I had few thoughts about what to write when we got curbstomped by the demons.

Honestly I know the feel, but I didn't want to leave Carryscar on hiatus while starting a new project, and the demons being made of ash and now scattered around hell rather than flooding an opening means chances are we'd wipe them out quite handily or put so great a dent in their numbers they wouldn't be a threat anymore anyway.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 06, 2014, 02:01:25 pm »

So what you are effectively saying is that Carryscar is a victory for the Dwarfs and the Overseers who made it what it is.

We've managed to set it up so that without the overseer outright murdering everyone in the fortress themselves Carryscar can stand against any enemy that tries to attack it and life is pretty good for those within its hallowed halls.

All we can really do now is rise our glasses in a toast to a job well done, celebrate the victory, than go into adventure mode and see how things played out for the fortress without further intervention.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 06, 2014, 02:20:11 pm »

So what you are effectively saying is that Carryscar is a victory for the Dwarfs and the Overseers who made it what it is.

We've managed to set it up so that without the overseer outright murdering everyone in the fortress themselves Carryscar can stand against any enemy that tries to attack it and life is pretty good for those within its hallowed halls.

All we can really do now is rise our glasses in a toast to a job well done, celebrate the victory, than go into adventure mode and see how things played out for the fortress without further intervention.

Honestly yes. It may lack supremely pointless projects being completed, but otherwise unless those demons can take a crossbow bolt to the chest nothing short of web, gas, or fire slingers may be able to cause any meaningful damage. Goblins and xelics alike just get torn to shreds mounts and all, megabeasts don't fare much better, and the demons are made out of flimsy material.

The militia is large and composed of full-timers rather than reservists and it's a rare occasion to have one of them injured, nevermind killed. It would take deliberate sabotage to end the place and all three tries I did managed to not knock more than one dwarf below content (Urist McKilledByWaterfall, and Urist McKilledbyBlob 1 and 2) or failed outright (demons.) Hell, even the nobles can't do anything expect jail people and Zacen's the only risk of that and with so many dwarves the chances of neglect are staggeringly low.

In all, I think I did too well, both due to my playstyle and the lack of constant attacks. I was expecting the militia to lose a dwarf or two every battle and instead I got an army of ambulatory beards that cause instant death.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 06, 2014, 03:41:54 pm »

Too bad Hell has already been colonized before, or we could have attempted that.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 06, 2014, 03:43:23 pm »

Too bad Hell has already been colonized before, or we could have attempted that.

Done to death really. I was just hoping for meaty demons and got those instead.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 06, 2014, 04:03:10 pm »

Good to see that my dwarf survived until the very end.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 06, 2014, 04:54:59 pm »

Done to death really. I was just hoping for meaty demons and got those instead.

Yeah. The procedural demons are neat, but the old 40d static demon types often gave a better challenge.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41