Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does graphic tile coloration work?  (Read 1307 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
How does graphic tile coloration work?
« on: February 18, 2015, 01:10:03 pm »

I think in one of the recent updates, dwarves have started appearing with new skin colors.  A black-skinned dwarf freaked the crap out of me at first, because I thought the game was trying to say that she was on fire or a zombie or both, but when nothing Fun happened, I looked at her status and it basically said "she has dark skin" in her description, which I thought was pretty cool.  I no longer have that fortress to look again. 

I've been recently fooling around with modded races.  I did a Dingo-man fortress as a test and none of the 7 settlers were colored differently. 

I did a 2nd test with a custom race that was mostly copied from dwarves and they were all different colors, browns, greys, a slightly purple and a greyish green.  The status description lists them all as having raw umber hair and pink skin.  Their eye colors are different, but not related to the colors on screen.  It is year 36.  I'm using the Vherid_Dusk color scheme instead of the default. 

Does anyone know how that mechanic works and if it can be manipulated by modding?  For example, could I make one caste red and another caste blue? 

Although, for all I know, this is just what the game does when you're not using Phoebus profession based graphics, though that doesn't explain the darkskinned one from before. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does graphic tile coloration work?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 01:45:22 pm »

Their color changes based on their profession. :)
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 03:38:47 pm »

any idea who the dark-skinned dwarf showed up then?
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 05:39:16 pm »

Coincidence, they also had a dark profession color. 

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 06:53:42 pm »

Even with the Phoebus graphics turned on?  I'll have to wait and see if happens again in another fortress to collect more data...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 07:47:27 pm »

You said this is a custom race. Do they have their own graphics set, or is it pulled from the tileset?

Creatures need to be given their own graphics to have them appear as something other than what is available on the tileset that the game uses. Otherwise they will default to using a tileset tile, and having their appearance modified by their profession colour.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 04:41:47 am »

any idea who the dark-skinned dwarf showed up then?
It's 100% that the color of a tile is not relevant to any descriptions of the creature. It's either a DISPLAY_COLOR color if it's a profession-less creature, or a profession color.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository