Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37

Author Topic: THE END IS NEAR : Warning: May be more rational than reality.  (Read 46984 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: THE END IS NEAR : Philosophical Rage Edition.
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 06:40:21 pm »

Huh. Nothing. Still can't shake that ... that feeling, though.

Take a look out the window. Anything unusual? If not, realize I'm almost out of food and go walk to the corner store which I'm assuming is close to my apartment.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 06:43:13 pm »

Go to where there should be other people of the staff, like where the night shift nurses hang out or something. Still see if there is anything I can use to defend myself with. If Zombie doctor gets in sight, start yelling and making a fuss.

Gotta find more people. Yes, find more staff, they'll help me. I hope... What if they're with him?

No! Don't think like that. Just gotta find help.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 09:38:39 pm »

((That depends on the state.  And since we're in a Southern US state...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Brian looked at what he had, and thought about how he'd get a gun.  He supposed there were... less legal ways, but that was asking for trouble.  Better take this crap home first- he'd just look up the law on the Internet.

Go home and store most of the stuff in the house.  Leave a bit in the car, just in case.  Look up online what the specific state laws are.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 10:20:22 pm »

That's distressing. At least I need not lie if the news comes in, because he's right: Other than what he said, I've no clue what's going on. And I'm not sure I want to find out...

Look at the patient list to see who's up first and any information about them, then await their arrival.

((I hate to wonder, but what kind of paradox buffers are we talking about here?))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 11:46:36 pm »

(( Three hospitals in one town. No wonder me and Pyro live here, the work prospects must be fantastic. ))

((I hate to wonder, but what kind of paradox buffers are we talking about here?))

(( Clearly, I should try and find out. I imagine the answer has something to do with brickwalls. Or one end of the paradox being screwed by the other. Now accepting bets on which end :P
But not now. I'm sure another opportunity will present itself :P ))

Head up to HR and ask there. Take my time on the way up, looking around for oddities with the hospital, listening discretely to the staff talking, that sort of thing

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 03:03:51 am »

Huh. Nothing. Still can't shake that ... that feeling, though.

Take a look out the window. Anything unusual? If not, realize I'm almost out of food and go walk to the corner store which I'm assuming is close to my apartment.

You get up from the computer and go look down on the city. It's cold, near deserted because of the time, and a rather boring shade of gray because of the winter sun, but otherwise it looks perfectly normal. Hmm. Maybe this is one of those slow burn apocalypses. You shrug.

You check your pantry and find it rather barren, save for a few bottles of ketchup that you're pretty sure where here when you bought the place. You shrug again and slip on your shoes, not bothering to change out of your pajamas and into something more fitting, before you head out toward the nearest shop, a block or so away. The store is a little convenience store built into the gap between two larger buildings. It's got bars on its thin windows and a big neon sign flashing "K.A. GROCERY".  You walk inside, shivering badly from walking a block in nothing but pajamas and sneakers. The clerk and few patrons give you strange looks, but no one tries to stop you as you browse the aisles.

Go to where there should be other people of the staff, like where the night shift nurses hang out or something. Still see if there is anything I can use to defend myself with. If Zombie doctor gets in sight, start yelling and making a fuss.

Gotta find more people. Yes, find more staff, they'll help me. I hope... What if they're with him?

No! Don't think like that. Just gotta find help.

You run left, toward the admin offices, nurses station and other places which might contain nice young men in clean white coats. All the room doors you pass are sitting slightly ajar, as though someone closed them halfheartedly. You can see bodies laying limp on the ground inside. There's a locked gate between the patient's rooms and the administration area. You shake the gate and start yelling.

"Hello! Nurse! Little help please! Doctor trying to kill me!"

It takes a minute, but a nurse eventually comes to see what all the screaming is about.

"How did you get out of your room?" She asks, digging through her pocket for the keys.

Behind you, you hear a door clang open.

That's distressing. At least I need not lie if the news comes in, because he's right: Other than what he said, I've no clue what's going on. And I'm not sure I want to find out...

Look at the patient list to see who's up first and any information about them, then await their arrival.

The first patient is barely worth your time, someone coming in to get stitches removed. You remove them without issue and are out within 5 minutes. Your next patient isn't due for another twenty minutes or so...you could bring the next one in early...or if you had something else to do, you could do that.

(( Three hospitals in one town. No wonder me and Pyro live here, the work prospects must be fantastic. ))

(( Clearly, I should try and find out. I imagine the answer has something to do with brickwalls. Or one end of the paradox being screwed by the other. Now accepting bets on which end :P
But not now. I'm sure another opportunity will present itself :P ))

Head up to HR and ask there. Take my time on the way up, looking around for oddities with the hospital, listening discretely to the staff talking, that sort of thing
(Buffers mainly include...selective non-existence. I've been told it tingles.)

You head toward the elevators and stand around, waiting for one to come. As you wait, you listen to the whispers of the staff. They're talking about something that happened in the "snoozer" ward and some doctor named Livits? Livhits? You can't tell. You ride the elevator up to the fourth floor and follow the signs to the HR department. The secretary there tells you to wait in a chair near her desk.

((That depends on the state.  And since we're in a Southern US state...

Brian looked at what he had, and thought about how he'd get a gun.  He supposed there were... less legal ways, but that was asking for trouble.  Better take this crap home first- he'd just look up the law on the Internet.

Go home and store most of the stuff in the house.  Leave a bit in the car, just in case.  Look up online what the specific state laws are.

You drive home and unload your car, piling your supplies up in your living room and kitchen. You admire the magnificent girth of your mountain of gallon water jugs and tins of beans for a moment before heading over to your computer. A quick perusal of the state gun laws reveals your state doesn't have a waiting period, awesome, and that there's a gun shop not that far away. Doubly awesome. You print out a map and follow it to a rather shady looking strip mall. Sitting smack dab in the center, under an enormous American flag and giant pair of plaster rifles is the "FREEDOM CENTER ARMS", Redfalls' finest sellers of quality killing machines.

You head inside; the door plays a shotgun cocking noise as you enter. It's a fairly small shop, just a long room covered on three sides by a U shaped glass counter/ display case filled with all manner of small arms. The walls behind the counter are covered in larger ordnance. A rather harsh looking man with a buzz cut hairdo, leather jacket, and enormous eagle carrying a bazooka tattoo on his neck is standing near the back, eying you carefully. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:31:51 pm by piecewise »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 11:36:24 am »

((Did my post get missed or swallowed by a paradox buffer?))  ((Clearly a paradox buffer got too hungry.  Someone should direct it to a paradox buffet.))
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:38:28 pm by Toaster »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 11:50:18 am »

((It is tingly in a vague sort of way.))

Get a milk thing, some bread, a few fruits of varying variety, several bottles of water, and a large amount of granola and/or protein bars.
Oh, and a cereal box.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2013, 12:53:04 pm »

Well, not his kind of place.  But this is what he came here for, right?

Brian wasn't completely unfamiliar with guns- his father had instructed him in the basics of shooting, taking him to an outdoor range a few times.  He had never owned one, though.

He looked at the wares for a little bit before approaching the shopkeeper.

"Morning.  I'm looking for a reliable pistol for home defense.  Got any suggestions?"

Ask.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 03:03:42 pm »

"Just open the door for me. Some doctor snuck into my room and tried to hurt me or something. He looked really weird, like he was in a coma or sleepwalking or something. Please just open the door for me."

Once door open, get on other side and close it behind us. Tell her to go get other staff to help and to call the police.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2013, 03:41:31 am »

Wait patiently in the chair to be called, continue observing the world around me for horrible, terrible things.

(( Just got done with a game of Arkham Horror. Could not help but be reminded of what's going on at the hospital and asylum here XD ))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2013, 10:40:15 am »

We're waiting for pyro, since his action could involve intersecting with Kri. Or not.

How you guys liking it so far? I've tried to be a bit more descriptive then ER since there are fewer players.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2013, 05:37:37 pm »

Bring the next one in early.

((Sorry Krie, but Sam doesn't leave his office too much. If you want to link our timelines, you're going to need to come to me, or something needs to convince Sam to leave (difficult now he's mildly creeped out).))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2013, 07:31:05 pm »

Bring the next one in early.

((Sorry Krie, but Sam doesn't leave his office too much. If you want to link our timelines, you're going to need to come to me, or something needs to convince Sam to leave (difficult now he's mildly creeped out).))

(( Yeah, I'm not expecting us to intersect immediately, not even necessarily today, and I can't come up with anything in character to meet with you. I'm just providing the opportunity, whether it happens or not.

As to the game, I'm quite enjoying it. Though I feel quite compelled to come up with in-character reasons for everything I'm doing, which is interesting, challenging, and a little frustrating. I think it comes from the modern world setting, for the most part. Unlike, say, ER, where motivation can come from insanity and space magic, this is the modern world, something we are familiar with. Which makes it both easier to come up with in-character reactions and, at least over here, compels me to come up with in-character reasons for game-level strategies, or discard / delay those strategies if I cannot.

For example, this situation. Strategically (and at this point, I'm sure being around more people will get worse quickly XD), hooking up with Sam should be reasonable for both of us. I have a large vehicle and free time, he has money, a location to hole up, and (slightly) easier access to some rarer medical supplies, and between the two of us we should be able to fix anything that goes wrong. Buuut, because this is a modern setting, I literally have no reason in-character to talk to him at this point. It makes for an interesting challenge.

It kind of makes me wish the dream had included the other dreamers, but there's something to be said for not having a reason to interact immediately with the other players. It sort of lets us set our own roles as the game progresses, which should make for some interesting storytelling. One thing I'm really looking forward to in this is that we basically have not one storyteller but 6. The five of us players are, essentially, telling the story of how we tried to ride out the apocalypse, while PW holds the entire thing together into one narrative.

And detailed descriptions are always a joy. :P I live (and die. Mostly die.) for the really detailed descriptions of the place we're going, someones untimely demise, or a spectacular failure in ER, so this is nice. The messages and the description of the doctor in the hallway are excellent pieces of storytelling, and I feel like once we get into combat / mindfuckery, the hidden rolls will let you really cut loose with the details. Nothing like spoilers to ruin pacing, right?

... I think I write too much sometimes...))
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 08:13:28 pm by Kriellya »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37