Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Orbtrances, succession fort (players needed)  (Read 14277 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Orbtrances, succession fort (players needed)
« on: October 28, 2013, 12:45:21 pm »

Screams echoed through the halls, coming from every direction.  Armed dwarves rushed to their stations, while civilians scrambled about in panic.  Mask, commander of the Masked Wolves, cursed.  They were in the fortress.
It seemed like days before the fighting was over.  The strength of the goblin horde had been broken, but at what cost.  Mask despaired at the deaths, but even more so about the fate of the survivors.  Another siege was reported to be approaching.  There was no time.  They must pack up everything they could salvage and leave Cloudtrailed, never to return.  They would need to set up defenses and try to attract what migrants they could before the horde was upon them.  It was the only way.
This is a succession fortress, I’m playing first, then anyone else who wants to take a turn can go.  Anyone can request entrance as a dwarf without needing to oversee the fortress, it is merely encouraged.  Request whatever professions you like.  I’d like community input on this: where should the fortress be located, what, if any, raws changes should happen, etc.

This game will be played as of the current version, 34.11
Rules:
1.   When the save gets passed to you, you have two days to respond or the save will continue to the next player.  You then have a week to play a year, spring to spring, and post what happens in a narrative style.  Screenshots are not required, but they help a lot.  After playing, give the save to the next player. Use DFFD.
2.   Anybody is welcome to post journals, scenes, etc. for their dwarf.  Just make sure to get someone’s permission to use their dwarf in a scene.  I’m sure there will be a lot of unclaimed dwarves, so it shouldn’t be a problem.
3.     Traps are perfectly acceptable, but try to keep cage traps to a minimum and used only for animal catching.
4.   No intentionally screwing over the fortress.  Savescumming only allowed if the fortress dies in a boring way.  Even the strongest forts fall eventually.
5.   Most of all, have fun.
That’s it for now.  This is my first succession fort, so if you have any suggestions for how to write the narrations and whatnot it would be greatly appreciated.
Player list:
1.   4maskwolf
2.     Dark Artemis Fowl
3.     Shadowhammer
4.     Zlob
5.     Woobmonkey
6.     Grimmash
Dorfing list:
Original team:
Mask (4maskwolf): carpenter/woodcutter/axedwarf
Zekariah (Dark Artemis Fowl): miner/mason
shadow hammer (Shadowhammer): weapon smith/hammerdwarf

Later dwarfs:
1. That guy bob
2. Zlob (tbd)
3. King Bacon (tbd)
4. Giver99(Medical Dwarf)
5. WoobMonkey(Wrestler)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 11:57:06 am by 4maskwolf »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orbtrances, succession fort (players needed)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 01:53:49 pm »

You may want to specify where you'd like the saves to be transferred from.  Many of us use the DFFD, but you may prefer some other file-sharing host because the DFFD can be s-l-o-w at times.  Also, you should know that once you use the "poll" function on this site, you'll never be able to not use it, just be able to change the poll questions and reset it - plan for your polls to either be ongoing, sequential or have a "default" poll that's used as a place-holder.

Please specify any mods you used to generate the world as well as which version of Dwarf Fortress (current as of 28OCT13 is "34.11").  Have fun!
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 02:01:04 pm »

You may want to specify where you'd like the saves to be transferred from.  Many of us use the DFFD, but you may prefer some other file-sharing host because the DFFD can be s-l-o-w at times.  Also, you should know that once you use the "poll" function on this site, you'll never be able to not use it, just be able to change the poll questions and reset it - plan for your polls to either be ongoing, sequential or have a "default" poll that's used as a place-holder.

Please specify any mods you used to generate the world as well as which version of Dwarf Fortress (current as of 28OCT13 is "34.11").  Have fun!
Thanks for the advice. I'll add that. The mode are part what go want input on, as. I don't know any off the top of my head for the theme I'm going for.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 02:03:58 pm by 4maskwolf »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 02:15:32 pm »

I really enjoy Meph's Masterwork mod, but that's a full makeover mod that can change the vanilla experience around quite alot.  "LNP" (Lazy Newb Pack) works for lots of people, and 3rd party utilities like Stonesense (currently bundled with DFHack) and Isoworld can give your world that crazy awesome graphical feel.  (I'm a big fan of these too.)

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 04:29:37 pm »

I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!

Sorry, I had to do that at least once in this forum.

If possible could we keep this vanilla? I like vanilla DF.

As for starting location, I'd like somewhere that challenges and limits our resourcess, but isn't trying to kill us at every turn. A savage biome desert would be nice, for example. Or Savage Ocean, anything Savage would be fun!

I'd like to keep raw changes to a minimum also, I'm fine with minute details but please don't overhaul creatures. No changes if possible.

I now usher a dorf forward, and his name shall be Zekariah. He shall be a miner and a mason.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 05:08:53 pm »

Added to the OP. Just dorf or overseer as well? I, too, prefer just vanilla, but I wanted to see what others thought.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 05:17:56 pm »

Added to the OP. Just dorf or overseer as well? I, too, prefer just vanilla, but I wanted to see what others thought.
Overseer, if you will. I wish to see what I could make of this fortress.... muahahahhah.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 05:28:11 pm »

I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!

Sorry, I had to do that at least once in this forum.

If possible could we keep this vanilla? I like vanilla DF.

As for starting location, I'd like somewhere that challenges and limits our resourcess, but isn't trying to kill us at every turn. A savage biome desert would be nice, for example. Or Savage Ocean, anything Savage would be fun!

I'd like to keep raw changes to a minimum also, I'm fine with minute details but please don't overhaul creatures. No changes if possible.

I agree with all of this. Could I be dorfed as ShadowHammer (a weaponsmith or hammerdwarf) and overseer'd as well?

Savage embarks are the funnest, especially when there is a giant wolverine tearing the throats out of all your migrants.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 05:31:02 pm »

Dorfed and overseered. Good to have you aboard.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 07:04:38 pm »

Okay, per request, I generated a world with a savage desert biome.  Two questions: 1. aquifer or no aquifer.  2. stream or no stream?

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 07:41:17 pm »

Unless someone else would want it, no aquifer please. Too many complications, not enough striking the earth.

Stream is up to you. Preferably no, because then we'd actually have to THINK about our water sources. Again, up to you though  ;D

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 08:20:19 pm »

Unless someone else would want it, no aquifer please. Too many complications, not enough striking the earth.

Stream is up to you. Preferably no, because then we'd actually have to THINK about our water sources. Again, up to you though  ;D
Once again, I agree with Artemis. Good luck, and strike the earth!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 09:15:23 am »

I likely won't have time to start till this weekend, I'll post when I'm starting, if anyone wants to be dorfed in the meantime feel free to ask.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 01:28:55 pm »

As is tradition, please dorf me as the first baby born to the fortress.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 07:34:28 pm »

Alright, I had some time today so I set up the embark screen and am about to embark.  Some exposition first:

The carnage was indescribable.  Corpses everywhere, blood coated the ground.  The only dwarf I could see was ShadowHammer, standing further down the bedroom corridor.

"We have to go.  More will be coming," he said.

"I know..."

Two days later:

Despite searching most of the fortress, we only found five other dwarves.  Zekariah, the head miner, had fended off a squad of goblins by himself, saving four young dwarves who had run for the mines when the goblins came.  They were the only survivors.

We gathered as much as we dared into an intact wagon and shackled it to our last beasts of burden.  Some food and booze, some wood, Zekariah's pick, our armor and weapons.  It wasn't much, but it would have to do.  There was no time to find more, the goblins are nearly upon us.

A week later:

We are doomed.

The wagon broke down as we were crossing the desert.  Savage beasts are said to roam these lands, and I fear we will not survive to see winter.  Nonetheless, we must try to establish an outpost here, and hope that the goblins do not find us.  Strike the Earth!

OOC: What I described is pretty much all I embarked with.  There is some cloth and bags, along with a few quivers, but the rest of it is all listed.  The "armor" consists of a pair of copper breastplates, for myself and ShadowHammer.  Our weapons are made of copper.  This is going to be fun.

Yes, that means no anvil.  Not to start.

Also, the four young dwarves from the story are all skill-less peasants.  I'll probably use them for hauling.  I embarked with wood so that my character's skills would not go entirely to waste, as there are no trees (it's a savage desert).

Edit: I know this is probably a bit bland, as I'm not a good writer, but I'll try to make the future ones more interesting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10