Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35

Author Topic: The Bay12 Pokemon League: Journey of the Rivals [accepting players!]  (Read 37006 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile

Current tournament: Rivalry round 2

Gen6 has been released, and enough research into basestats and movepools has been done, the new arrivals are now avaiable on showdown.

You all know what this means!

I hereby open the sign-ups for the new bay12 league, now with gen6 mons.

But Akroma, I own neither a DS nor any pokemon games!

No problem, the internet provides! A simply, easy to use plattform has been built in the form of Showdown, allowing simple, free online play, without the need of actually spending any money on supporting nintendo. Damn them anyway for not allowing us to use their multi million dollar in development cost games for free!

Okay, so I am on showdown, now what?

First of all, you should register your nickname, which can be done in the top right corner. No Email needed, just a name and a password. The gear-button allows you to set your avatar.

Next up, team-building. On the left, you will find a "teambuilder button". There, simply pick 6 mons, and set them up. To avoid having to deal with various banlists that will later inform you that the set you have picked is not actually allowed, you should set your team format to "Pokebank OU", this will make most non-viable choices invisible during teamgen. It's not foolproof though, so you might have to make edits to your team. You will be automaticaly informed before battles.

Formats, Tiers, what the fuck?

The showdown website puts pokemon in tiers of relative strength/amount of useage, to prevent teams full of weak pokemons to be swept by mewtwo level powerhouses. It also enforces some rules, such as the sleep-clause, which prevents you from putting more than one pokemon at a time to sleep, the species clause (only one mon per kind), as well as bans to evasion boosting moves and OHKO moves. It also prevents you from picking move/ability combinations that can not actually obtained in the game via breeding.

Abilities, Items, EVs? What is that?

Those who only played pokemon in the first gen will probably be suprised that pokemon has become a bit more complicated. Items are simple, they just do what the description sais, same for abilities. You should be able to find something that suits your tastes. If in doubt, "leftovers" are always good for defensive mons, while mons meant for offense can benefit from the "lifeorb".
EVs are pretty self-explanatory when you see the sliders, it's simply bonus points to your pokemons stats. Natures can further boost a stat, while at the same time lowering another. Usualy it is the best choice to take a nature that lowers either attack, or special attack, depending on what your pokemon is NOT using, while raising whatever you want your pokemon to be good at.

And how do I actually find other people from the league?

To be able to challenge another user, you have to be in the same chatroom, click on the users name and challenge him. Unless otherwise agreed on, set the format to Pokebank-OU, which allows the use of all mons of all gens, except the incredibly powerful uber-mons.
To be able to easily spot one another, we use the chatroom "arts and crafts", which is usualy rather empty. To make yourself extra noticable, I advice adding "Bay12" to your nickname. The chatrooms can be found if you click the + button on the right and scroll down.
It is polite (and useful for yourself) to post here in the thread to announce that you are currently waiting for challengers in arts and crafts, and if you have the time, to edit your post once you go offline.

But I am no good at pokemon, and just losing is boring.

Don't worry, this thread also counts as a tutoring thread. The more experienced users will gladly help you building a strong team, and give you advice during battles. This is a decidedly non-competitive team (unless there is currently a tournament going on), to make sure everybody can use whatever team they like, rather than having to plan their team around the meta game. It's rather boring when every team looks basicaly the same, everybody having the same pokemons etc, just because they do happen to be the best choices. Proper trainers should use what they like, not what they need.

Participants:

Akroma
Culise
GreatWyrmGold
Ultimuh
Rolepgeek
Hihi2463
Neotemplar
Bluerobin
-----------

also, consider this a gen6 discussion thread
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:28:39 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Pokemon League - Uncharted Territory
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:49:54 pm »

My team is built, however server is down right now. I shall announce once I am ready for combat. As per usual, arts and crafts would be the best meeting point

the lack of a mega-gastrodon leaves me severly disappointed, however, Goodra (or rather the prevo, goomy) makes up for it. Maybe I'll make a slime-team in the tournament
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:12:22 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 10:37:01 pm »

Aegislash has counters in anything that can setup. Bulky setup sweepers particularly. I would think.

I'll end up hating him anyway because I hate all steel types.

It's stupidly difficult to get fire type moves on an ice team. >.>
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 10:44:25 pm »

If someone explains how to play I might give it a shot.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 12:04:56 am »

Aegislash has counters in anything that can setup. Bulky setup sweepers particularly. I would think.

I'll end up hating him anyway because I hate all steel types.

It's stupidly difficult to get fire type moves on an ice team. >.>
King's Shield also doesn't protect against status.  Hilarity is watching a player realize, to his or her dismay, that Will-o-Wisp just crippled their physical sweeper right through a protect effect. :3

Oh, if we do this, do we want to use in-game, or the Showdown Gen 6 beta?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:45:02 am by Culise »

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 03:31:16 pm »

I'm going to wait until I finish gen 6 to avoid spoilers to join, don't get this killed while I'm gone :P
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 10:14:37 am »

oho, some replies afterall.

After 3 days without replies, I already lost hope

I am for the showdown gen6 beta

If someone explains how to play I might give it a shot.

go to [size=78%]http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/[/size] and create an account and a team.
Then announce your presence here in the thread so people can come and challenge you

to be visible to other bay12ers, go to the chatroom "arts and crafts" on the right of the website

until we have enough players and a proper idea for a tournament theme, it's a free for all, anything goes (well, anything within the OU(beta) rules)

if anyone is online right now, my slime-team is currently in arts and crafts

I take it rolepgeek and culise are joining?

edit: or not. turns out that

- Gastrodon can't learn Earth Power because it's not possible to transfer pokemon from earlier games to XY yet (Pokébank comes out in December).
- Muk can't learn Fire Punch because it's not possible to transfer pokemon from earlier games to XY yet (Pokébank comes out in December).
- Muk can't learn Ice Punch because it's not possible to transfer pokemon from earlier games to XY yet (Pokébank comes out in December).
- Reuniclus can't learn Signal Beam because it's not possible to transfer pokemon from earlier games to XY yet (Pokébank comes out in December).
- Jellicent (Jellicent) is unreleased.
- Jellicent can't learn Giga Drain because it's not possible to transfer pokemon from earlier games to XY yet (Pokébank comes out in December).

hurrah, so no slime team until december

I will come up with something gen6 exclusive then

editedit: gen6 only team is up, someone get on showdown to challenge me!

editeditedit: or I could use the format pokebank OU(beta) to use the slime team, challenger can make the call
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:39:50 am by Akroma »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 11:59:00 am »

editedit: gen6 only team is up, someone get on showdown to challenge me!

I'm online, but I don't see you.  I threw together a bit of a joke team, but it should be amusing to see what the Gen 6 changes do to some of the Pokemon I picked. ^_^

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 12:03:52 pm »

PTW.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 01:35:49 pm by Ultimuh »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 01:08:31 pm »

here is the first replay

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pokebankoubeta-60534578

I and culise had some matches, all in all it was 2 wins for me, two for culise. sadly I only now remembered the replay

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 02:15:29 pm »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 03:24:06 pm »

I've built a probably-crappy team and am ready to get my feet wet!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 03:24:40 pm »

I am awaiting you in arts and crafts, what is your name on showdown ?

es explained, to battle, join the chatroom arts and crafts on the showdown website. it can be found on the list on the right

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 03:25:02 pm »

I've built a probably-crappy team and am ready to get my feet wet!
Full dragon team. I called it.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 03:27:23 pm »

good to see you back Elf

Greatwyrm, I dont see you on showdown
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35