Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 35

Author Topic: The Bay12 Pokemon League: Journey of the Rivals [accepting players!]  (Read 37053 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Pokemon League: Journey of the Rivals [accepting players!]
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2013, 05:05:45 pm »

Excellent. Let's catch you up, shall we?

TIME WARP!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2013, 06:45:14 pm »

I fought round 1, round 2 and round 3 vs Rolepgeek

Spoiler: round1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: round2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: round3 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:05:23 pm by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2013, 06:54:22 pm »

Spoiler: Round T--never mind. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Round Two, for reals! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Round 3 (click to show/hide)
RP stuff later. Should we keep the second round or let RPG redo?

Oh, and do any formats allow a team of, say, six Smeargles?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:08:12 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2013, 07:18:02 pm »

Custom Battle.

EDIT: Also, I think it's a bit suspicious that for everyone except me, their favorite pokemon is quite competitively viable. >.>

2NDEDIT:
Spoiler: Round 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Round 3 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:01:11 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2013, 07:44:44 pm »

I didn't have much of an opinion, so I just chose one that I had done pretty well with.
Sig

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2013, 07:52:39 pm »

I was actually surprised that Gastrodon was as viable as it is.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2013, 08:02:49 pm »

"This is what you've got, you birdbrain? A glorified bat, a bunny, and a bug?"
"Our teams have surprisingly similar color schemes."
"...What?"
The battle began. First, the bunny: Buffpuff. It set up shields while being poisoned and seeded by Trinket and Nutty.
The bunny was switched for the bat: Miss Ick. Ick was spiked, seeded, and cannonized, while sharpening its claws and agilitizing.
Then: Baton Pass. The boy said a word he would not have said if his mother was listening.
Rusty quickly dispatched the boy's three Pokemon in one hit each.
"Nice work there, Rusty. That was a lucky hit."
"Stupid bug."
"Whew, close one there, buddy. Let's try and keep you out of harm's way next time."
Spoiler: Transcript (click to show/hide)

Why do I keep doing terribly?
Sig

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 25, 2013, 01:52:13 am »

Because you have to BELIEVE.

Also, how dare you be *suprised* at Gastrodons success? If it wasn't for most people underestimating it, it surely would dominate the ubers tier!

btw, it is pretty annoying to try and make out who made how many points each battle. please make it easier, and write it up clearly.

Also, please be consistent with your pokemons abilities.

edit: am now in arts and crafts
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:05:39 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 25, 2013, 12:54:21 pm »

Considering I don't know how many points you get from each battle, I can't.

EDIT: I think that I got two points each from GWG and Kansa, and they got one point each, while I got three points from Bluerobin.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:59:58 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 25, 2013, 01:00:06 pm »

I've just been keeping a tally of how many pokemon each person knocks out. Although now that I think about it, that makes self-destruct a really terrible idea for trying to keep your opponent's score lower. *shrug* oh well I guess, for me this is mostly just a learning experience anyway.

Oh, and I'll be on arts and crafts if Culise happens to be around for Round 3.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2013, 01:15:02 pm »

You get one point per pokemon you knocked out. And yes, mostly a learning experience. A 2.0 version of a tournament in this style is already under development. It will have regions and routes, and new additions to the team will have to be based on what path you decide to travel. It will also involve more than 6 rounds, so in later rounds, players will have a pool of pokemons to choose from and build up their team depending on their opponent they will be facing (or simply to kick out a bad decision). A map is currently under work by Culise

If you have ideas or wishes, feel free to voice them.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:19:01 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2013, 01:15:53 pm »

Oh, I was wondering what you guys thought of having a tourney based on the VDex Project. I think it'd be interesting.

And if anyone cares, the backstory of it is based off a web/comic by the creator, which he did one side of, called Reversal; basically, all pokemon become humans aftr dialga gets really pissed off, this causes socioeconomic collapse, and this takes place after the story(the partners are all characters), when people decided the best way to fix things would be to make a simulator that recreates 'the good ol' days'. Thus, the Virtual Pokedex Project was born. Read the guide. It helps. A lot.

Edit: In that case, Kansa got 1/1/1 points while I got 0/2/3, GWG got 0/2/1 while I got 1/0/3, and Bluerobin got 0/1/2 while I got 1/2/3.
Totals: Kansa: 3 more points.
GWG: 3 more points.
Bluerobin: Hmmm...oh yeah, three more points!
Rolepgeek: 15 points. Awwwww yeah.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:20:34 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2013, 01:16:31 pm »

You get one point per pokemon you knocked out.
Is that being decreased to 1/2 per pokemon at some point like you mentioned earlier?

Edit: Also, I've played around with the VDex Project in the past. How would you propose doing a tournament based on it?

Edit2:
A 2.0 version of a tournament in this style is already under development. It will have regions and routes, and new additions to the team will have to be based on what path you decide to travel. It will also involve more than 6 rounds, so in later rounds, players will have a pool of pokemons to choose from and build up their team depending on their opponent they will be facing (or simply to kick out a bad decision). A map is currently under work by Culise
Whoa, neat.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:22:37 pm by Bluerobin »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 25, 2013, 01:23:09 pm »

I'll take a critical look at total scores after round 3. If there are players who have a BIG lead before everyone else, I'll consider decreasing the point gain rate, to smaller rates, especialy if there are a lot of rounds with players only losing 0-1 pokes while whiping the entire enemy team. Hopefully this will leave some room to catch up. There is a big difference between the enemy who is already gaining ahead getting 4 points or just 2 points, while you are getting 0.

Or maybe that rule is just arbitrary and does nothing, who knows. We will know for sure afterwards, for 2.0

does the vdex thing include gen6 mons yet?

through the tournament I fell in love with Goomy. No Goomy, no VDex. And yeah, what Bluerobin said. How would such a tournament work?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:25:12 pm by Akroma »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2013, 01:24:15 pm »

You get one point per pokemon you knocked out.
Is that being decreased to 1/2 per pokemon at some point like you mentioned earlier?

Edit: Also, I've played around with the VDex Project in the past. How would you propose doing a tournament based on it?
You can only use pokemon you've caught/evolved, at the level you've trained them up to, with the EVs you've gotten for them. Moves and IVs may be as you like. Now, on the one hand, it takes a longass fucking time to get them to level 100...but on the other hand, if you focus, it only takes a week to get to level 60 or so. I don't know how the specifics would be handled, especially considering I sorta have an unfair advantage, having six badges and over 300 pokes, but still. I think it would be an interesting and/or fun way to combine the simulator that does everything not-battle related, and the battle simulator.

Edit: Also, I didn't realize it was per poke knocked out. No more Explosion then. Volt Switch will be much more useful. Although I don't think I can change it for round 3.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:26:18 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 35