Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35

Author Topic: The Bay12 Pokemon League: Journey of the Rivals [accepting players!]  (Read 36990 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Pokemon League: Journey of the Rivals [accepting players!]
« Reply #210 on: November 25, 2013, 01:28:26 pm »

you can change it around if Forretress learns the move via TM. Else, if you have passed the level at which it would learn volt switch, well

"Forretress is trying to learn Volt Switch, but it can only learn 4 moves. Do you want to forget a move and learn Volt Switch?"

"N"

"Forretress did not learn Volt Switch."

edit: also, this VDex thing sounds too tedious. Anyone who wants to play this may play it, but I don't care for a tournament that requires grinding.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:33:04 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 25, 2013, 01:32:42 pm »

It's a bit sad that the pokemon that learn level 1 moves after they evolve will never be able to use them in this tourney world without a move relearner.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:37:00 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2013, 01:38:20 pm »

Anyone may feel free to suggest rule learning moves for 2.0 version
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 25, 2013, 01:42:26 pm »

Indeed, move relearners.

There should be money of some sort to purchase items with, that you gain over time/from accomplishing certain tasks.

Also, we should all make some NPC teams with various slightly underleveled pokemon to battle people with, with pokemon centers at certain points. If you have a pokemon KOed, you cannot use it in later rounds unless you use a Revive or get to a Pokemon Center.

HM moves should also be needed to get certain places. I'd be glad to help with the map, by the way.

But yes, he learns it via TM. He also learns Explosion via TM. And level-up, but meh.

EDIT: VDex doesn't actually require grinding, at most 15 minutes a day. When I say 'Focus' I mean leave the poke in your party for a week and do the trials every day. Which take like a minute at most.

Getting some of the pokemon could be considered grinding. Took me an hour to get a fucking Feebas.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:44:51 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 25, 2013, 01:42:26 pm »

I would propose a certain number of move relearner uses per round or over the course of the tourney as a whole. Otherwise you get things like Hippowdons that don't have access to any of the elemental fang attacks or Charizards with basically no claw attacks (edit: looks like those are on TMs as well, whoops). Plus you might have to essentially sacrifice a pokemon's ability to contribute in the early tiers of the tournament just to be able to use it in the later ones. If we're already restricting which pokemon participants have access to, I don't think the restrictions on moves should be quite that strict.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:44:38 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 25, 2013, 01:54:51 pm »

money and NPC-teams? HM-slaves?

sounds like a lot of effort. If we have to wait for everyone to go through all dem NPCs (and gyms and what else not), rounds would become super long. Also the NPC battles would rob you of any kind of suprise you'd have from "oh so he added THAT! Cleeeever..". I for one always try to get the new battles of a round underway as fast as possible, so I don't get spoiled on what everyone has added to their team, and actually have a bit of suprise. Anything else would be borderline unfair too. It would leave room for last-minute adjustments of the movepool (for moves not yet revealed), or even counter picking (if the mon has not been revealed at all yet). Even adjusting your strategy based on what you have seen the newly arrived enemy to use on the one who battled before you is not good sportsmanship.

That's why I tend to avoid reading posts including combatants I haven#'t battled in a round yet, except maybe for score updates.

anyway, back on topic. We are just building a tournament, not a full on pokemon-simulation. The scale of adding NPC battles to earn money is just too time consuming. If you really like the idea though, it seems like a somewhat good idea for a seperate thread, with a dedicated GM. Though with your strict timetable, it might be altogether too much. Very slow moving threads tend to lose participants between turns.

also yes, move restrictions might become less strict, or at least, less strict in some places, more strict in others.

edit: 15 minutes spend everyday and doing all challenges IS grinding. Perhaps you could run such a tournament in the VDex thread though, where everyone already grinded up.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:58:20 pm by Akroma »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 25, 2013, 02:29:04 pm »

No, I meant 15 minutes a day, including challenges. It really doesn't take that long, but anyway.

When I said NPCs, I meant like two or three at most, with small teams, not necessarily truely competitive, and they wouldn't be the same as your real team. They'd be themed, like the ones in the games. Probably with pokes found in that area.

You are making a full-on map. Might as well go for the full kit-n-kaboodle.

Anyway, I should be on in an hour to hour and a half.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 25, 2013, 02:35:08 pm »

Well... that was a fast battle.

Culise 3, Bluerobin 0

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2013, 02:52:36 pm »

Akroma gains 3 points, Culise 0.
---------------------------------
Also. Culise voiced interest in dropping out, as he may have taken my rant about Rotom-W (I still hate it. Worst thing. GRAH HOW MUCH I HATE IT!), too seriously. He feels that using a standard rain-team might be cheesy, unfair, etc etc. Obviously that's not true (as my win against him shows. I suspect GWG and Rolepgeek to do well too. Kansa..matchup is difficult, but feasible), especialy when we can step by step adapt our teams to counter what is currently giving us problems (the very purpose of this style of a tournament).

Culise, you have been a great member of the bay12 league, and you dropping out would be a heavy loss. It has been very fun battling against you, and if you are REALLY concerned about ruining people's fun, well, from the next 3 spots, there are 2 that you can still choose a mon for freely. Who said they have to be rainteam mons?

Please everyone, raise your voices and stop Culise from this foolishness!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 25, 2013, 02:54:06 pm »

Geh.  Fine, fine, on threat of public humiliation, I won't. >_<

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 25, 2013, 02:57:35 pm »

Hah! As if I, as a responsible thread handler, would let you just leave like this. Afterall, I have to keep things running!.....it's totaly not like I'd miss you or anything

that being said, finish your round 2 (and 3) battle against GWG already!.b-baka!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:01:51 pm by Akroma »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 25, 2013, 02:57:48 pm »

Haha. I totally don't mind getting stomped by you. We have plenty of time to respond to a build with each round, and I obviously don't care about being slightly underpowered considering I started with Igglybuff. :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2013, 03:26:11 pm »

What's wrong with the washing machine, anyways?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 25, 2013, 03:38:24 pm »

updated scores btw

Akroma, after a slow start, has the current leading score, however only 3 battles to go this round, and against Rolepgeek at that...it might be worth it to put your money on Akroma, it is however a gamble.

Blue Robin is coming close after Akroma, however, has no battles this round left - what you see is what you get, there is a high chance to be overtaken by..pretty much everyone. However, there is a clear picking up of pace - if he keeps up the play of this round, who knows, top 3 is not impossible.

Rolepgeek blasts forth with a rocket lead - already 15 points, and still 6 battles to go, a clear candidate for the winner. You guys better start picking heavy counters, or he might do as a rocket and leave us all in smoke.

Kansa has been doing decidedly average, a shame after an otherwise amazing start. With only 2 battles to go this round, overtaking Bluerobin is not guaranteed. But do not be fooled - next round Kansa will lose his otherwise big handycap - his mons will evolve, and mercy be with those who take that lightly.

Culise, another top candidate. 12 points doesn't look like much, but like Rolepgeek, there are still 6 battles to go this round - that's considerable room to grow. If he fares well against Rolepgeek, not only can he overtake him, but even put himself at the top of the game. The race for the top remains hard to predict.

GreatWyrmGold has taken a slow start as well, but has improved as well. With still 3 battles to go, and a selection of strong versatile mons, he may easily overtake not only Bluerobin, but maybe even Kansa. It remains a race that is not yet worth throwing!

edit: Technicaly, nothing. I just happen to have an intense dislike against the really strong pokemon in the OU tier. When you battle online, you see a handfull of them on almost every team, killing the diversity that would otherwise come with having a selection of well over 700 mons to chose from, boiling down to just 30-ish. Problem is, they are used very often for a reason, and if you wanna be successful, you have to carry counters to certain situations (further boiling the pot down to only 20-ish). I however prefer to both have a team with members chosen by how much I like them, not how useful they are, so I find it rather frustrating. I am aware of the hypocracy btw, as I regularly use Jirachi (and always feel annoyed when it's incredible bulk carries my entire team..). Gastrodon however, well, I see it rarely enough to use with reckless abandon and not have a worry in the world.

So yeah, it's mostly my own personal opinion, because I am frustrated at losing, especialy to Rotom-W. That thing...dear god...

But oh well, you guys aren't faceless ladder grinders, so I'll just deal with the cards I am dealt. It's only fair.

Funfact, of the currently 18 mons in this tournament, 9 happen to be in the top 20 of OU (pre-XY stats). :( .
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:51:27 pm by Akroma »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 25, 2013, 03:43:23 pm »

I don't feel nearly as successful as you describe.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35