Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35

Author Topic: The Bay12 Pokemon League: Journey of the Rivals [accepting players!]  (Read 37141 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Pokemon League: Journey of the Rivals [accepting players!]
« Reply #315 on: December 01, 2013, 06:48:35 pm »

Yeah, turns out I need more than a choice specs Latias with Trick to counter sweepers. That Zygarde with Dragon Tail was doing a good (if incredibly annoying) job of it, though.

Edit: Also, that 5-2 is actually 6-3 because of favorite-pokemon-double-points rule.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 01, 2013, 07:20:56 pm »

Right, right.

Me vs. Kansa, Round 3 (3-1)
Me vs. Kansa, Round 4 (5-2)
Me vs. Kansa, Round 5 (6-2, I didn't lose)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was already on it, Kansa.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 02, 2013, 10:34:15 am »

Here is the updated score:

With an amazing 62 to 62, Culise and Akroma are tied. Their performance next round will likely directly decide who wins - it's entirely open ended, and depends very much on the picks of the next round - the actual macth Akroma vs Culise might make less than an impact than the decisions of the other 4 players. They all will have the choice to defeat either Akroma or Culise - countering both of them is difficult - to deny them the points they need to out do the other. It's almost democratic. However, do not forget Rolepgeek is at the party too. If the trend of the last rounds hold, he may yet make enough points off Kansa to ALSO have 62 points, which would lead to an AMAZINGLY narrow final battle. Tops, he has 63 points, which may or may not make a difference. This triangle is where all eyes rest on, and where the top 3 are decided - place your bets!

GWG has managed to catch up a bit, and is now almost tied with BlueRobin. Assuming that Kansa doesn't do amazingly well against Rolepgeek (who knows?), these 3 form the second triangle, with also very narrow scores. As above, it is hard to predict who will come out on top? Will they focus on just countering a certain top player, to make sure this one won't win? Or will they turn into predators of their own, and put themselves on top of their own triangle, and become first among the last? Place your bets.

My bet for the last round, while I am secretly hoping for Gastrodon to deliver me to victory, actually goes to Culise. He has been doing consistently well, and my final pick is more geared towards making points off other teams, rather than taking points off Culise - frankly because I am not sure what can take care of the amazingly strong ensemble Culise has managed to assemble....except for one particularly nasty choice, which will mean my team will be sporting no mega evolution...and which may be utterly useless against Rolepgeek...I yet have to decide on wether to go with it or not.

My bet for the Bottom triangle goes towards BlueRobin. She has been my biggest thorn in my side, and I trust she will pick a choice that may ensure her ability to gain enough points next round.

----------------------------

It's much of a mood kill that for the final score, we will have to wait for Kansa vs Rolepgeek, which might take a whole week, so I strongly urge you two to contact eachother and agree on possible meeting times.

And now, without further waiting, I shall open the final round!

Now your pokemon will be on lvl 100 (suprise). Add 2 more items to your inventory to choose from, mega stones are now legal.

Your final pokemon may be ANY pokemon that is not an uber and not someones favourite. This allows you full controle over countering or not countering.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 02, 2013, 10:41:03 am »

I wish the Latias/Latios mega-evolutions were a thing I had access to right now... oh well, at least my prediction of the conditions for the final round were right so all that planning didn't go to waste.

Question: My Togekiss forgot Nasty Plot for Fire Blast. Can I relearn Nasty Plot for the final round if it's an egg move? From what I've heard of the X/Y move relearner that's a thing I could do in game, I just don't know what the rules are for the tourney at this point.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 02, 2013, 10:43:52 am »

you may relearn it.

also, mega Latias has giganormours defences, excellent typing and freaking multiscale, one of the best abilities in the game. (and access to substitute and roost, with good speed to boot). Without a spec of a doubt, it will be harder to kill than even Lugia, the great wall of the ubers. Mega Latias is so totaly going to be ubers.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 02, 2013, 09:44:01 pm »

You can't make mega pokemon ubers. It doesn't work that way. You'd have to ban them using an item, which is really complex for a Smogon ban. They don't like doing that type of thing. They might make Latia/os themselves ubers, if it's too incredibly powerful, but...

Also, no such thing as Mega-Latias yet.

My only quandary is who to Mega-Evolve, for my last poke. Do I make Alakazam into the amazing destroyer it would love to be, even if it's ability gets worse? Or do I turn Tyranitar into a terrifying weather-setter-sweeper, as befits a mon with such a name?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:45:56 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 02, 2013, 09:57:16 pm »

No, go with Mega-Magikarp!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 02, 2013, 10:00:14 pm »

You can't make mega pokemon ubers. It doesn't work that way. You'd have to ban them using an item, which is really complex for a Smogon ban. They don't like doing that type of thing. They might make Latia/os themselves ubers, if it's too incredibly powerful, but...

Also, no such thing as Mega-Latias yet.

My only quandary is who to Mega-Evolve, for my last poke. Do I make Alakazam into the amazing destroyer it would love to be, even if it's ability gets worse? Or do I turn Tyranitar into a terrifying weather-setter-sweeper, as befits a mon with such a name?
They've done it in the past - Latios and Latias can't use Soul Gem outside of Ubers.  It's highly probable that they'll simply extend the item ban-list to include any stones that result in overly powerful Mega Pokemon. 

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 02, 2013, 10:28:36 pm »

They can't?

O.o I never knew this. I suppose it makes sense.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 02, 2013, 10:39:30 pm »

They can't?

O.o I never knew this. I suppose it makes sense.
Nope.  Actually, a Soul Gem Latias can harder than a Mega Latias as far as raw power is concerned, neglecting abilities.  Mega Latios received Adaptability to balance that out for his STAB attacs, but Mega Latias gets Multiscale for increased defenses.  Certainly, she loses the chance to use Leftovers, which is unfortunate for a tank even though she has Roost and Rest, but an immunity and seven resists for the price of four weaknesses is still nothing to sneeze at, particularly since she gets to choose when to change her weaknesses. 

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 02, 2013, 11:10:56 pm »

In whatever case, they aren't on smogon yet.

Mega-Mewtwo; Uber-ubers?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 03, 2013, 04:38:39 am »

mega mewtwo is suckerpunch fodder, thankfully. It does however, make sucker-punch almost mandatory in ubers, as the usual tanks Dialga and Lugia can only stand by helplessly as mega mewtwo rips them apart

Also, my team is now ready, went with the anti-Culise option. Hopefully it will be enough to get rid of Manaphy, if not, I'd feel rather cheap for using this option..
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:44:11 am by Akroma »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 03, 2013, 11:46:36 am »

waiting in arts and crafts.

if possibly, I'd like my first match to go against culises first match, to make sure neither of our choices are influenced by the others. I took great care when choosing my Culise-Counter..

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 03, 2013, 12:49:12 pm »

I'll be dropping out of the tourney.  It's been pointed out, and not at all inaccurately, that I've taken advantage of the unsettled metagame to utilize formerly-uber Pokemon.  I note that this is not inaccurate because it isn't; I did select Manaphy in part because I thought it would be fun to use a Pokemon I never was able to use before, since I so rarely use legendaries and since it was previously banned. However, since it has turned out to be far too centralizing, it is probably best to set it and the team containing it aside from consideration in the final round.  ^_^
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:52:27 pm by Culise »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 03, 2013, 01:22:08 pm »

Well, I have written out a long PM, trying to clear up the misunderstanding.

Long story short:

- your team has been going into an obvious direction since poliwag, or at least since politoad. Only I tried to counterwork it, everyone else could have picked counters, but did not - it't their fault for not doing so

- I overblew the issue, because of frustration - I carried two possible counters to manaphy, and did not manage to keep them alive safely until manaphy strated it's killing spree. I made tactical errors, you outplayed me - you won because of strategy, not because of manaphy. And to be fair, that was a close battle.

- despite that, the difference in our score is only 2 points - 7 to 5. I am just fond of complaining, it's my nature. I will even complain when I win full points to 0, as Rolepgeek can confirm (sorry about that). I am just vocal like that. I complain when it goes bad, I gloat when it goes well - like I was watching a sports event. Doesn't mean I am not having fun.

- even with manaphy, Kansa took you out, it's hardly centralising

- losing is still more fun than not fighting you at all - the tournament is not yet decided, and Rolepgeek and I still have a fair shot at victory. All that it takes is for you to slip up, which can very much happen - there are still plenty of strong counters against you out there.

But maybe, we can spice it up a little. And see how it pans out. With just a small rule-change, the playing field evens out, and what else might have been a loop-hole with ex-ubers, suddenly becomes even a somewhat meek option.

Since Culise is using Manaphy, and I am using Genesect, both of which are ex-ubers that might have been removed from ubers too early, I hereby declare the last round to be uber-legal.

Pick whatever you like.

This will make things quite suspenseful and hard to predict. Teams that got curbstomped by the three top players may suddenly prove an enormous challenge - now all three top-players will have to seriously look out, and it will be skill alone that can ensure their victory - afterall they have to do consistently well, over 5 battles.

For Rolepgeek, well, I hate to threat you differently, but as a top contender, I ask you to...be merciful. It is you who gains the biggest advantage out of this, so...a bit of mercy? (that is to be said, pick whatever you like, same rules for everyone...I am just hoping to maybe have a chance of victory >_<

edit: note, Mewtwo is already ubers, and becomes EVEN STRONGER as a mega. I consider it uber-uber, and will not allow it. It simply renders everyone elses choices up to this point moot.

edit edit: here is the replay http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-67122665

Akroma 5, Culise 7

You can clearly see here, what won the match was my decision to leave my offensively stacked Genesect in, while Umbreon could have easily tanked the hit. It was my mistake, not manaphy

this round counts, and I refuse to just declare it moot just because you defeated me. Here's my pride on the line too.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 02:32:02 pm by Akroma »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35