Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Malecus' Mad Medical Mod! -- Further Ideas Being Accepted  (Read 3435 times)

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Malecus' Mad Medical Mod! -- Further Ideas Being Accepted
« on: November 01, 2013, 03:04:27 am »

Happy Hallowe'en, everybody!

In the spirit of the season, I quickly decided that Dwarf Fortress was lacking in medical practices of moral dubiousness (at least, from within the game itself; there's evidence enough that the players are trying to make up the difference from outside).  So I've tailored a little bit here and there, and copied a few files from Deon's stuff to create a first-stage malpractice mad scientist-friendly mod.

As with almost all the modding work I do, just put the following in the appropriately named files or insert them into the entity file race of your choice.

The Building
- Laboratory: Requires a table, an enormous corkscrew, 3 chains/ropes, 3 sections of pipes, and 6 mechanisms; this is where you're going to be having fun!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Reactions
(Training in all the medical arts)

The Gear
- Armor: Lab coats, aprons, goggles, plague masks, surgical masks)
- Weapons: Bonesaws, scalpels, needle guns & needles)

The Insertions to be Added

The Behind-the-Scenes Materials
- Generic Gas (a sublimating stone used for a reaction to produce a product that won't stay around)
- Healing Gas (will fully heals whomever inhales it by turning them into a toad for a second)
- Vampirizing Gas (it turns whomever breathes it in into a vampire, but not 100% of the time)
- Beastial Gas (it should turn anyone breathing it into a werebeast, but doesn't work right now)

Things Still to Do:
- Figure out how to raise the dead.
- Uplift animals into talking, thinking beings.
- Turn a target's skin into metal.
- Gender reassignment.
- Alteration of relsizes (likely to be a single reaction with many possibilities, all of which have a small chance to occur).
- See if there's a way to alter the happiness levels of subjects/scientist, or find a way to mimic a true mad scientist's mania (maybe a short-term syndrome that adds the CRAZED tag).
- Almost anything else suggested.

Current Problems:
- All reactions give enough experience to raise an untrained scientist to legendary in the related skill.
- No armors have been successfully made; they do not appear in the embark list and no building will make them.
- Some of the reaction names are kinda lame and need to be replaced with something much better.
- Some reactions are currently unbalanced with respect to their reward (this will be changed later when cost-per-benefit results have been determined; potency now, balance later).

Edits:
131112: Anatomical Theater placeholder replaced with Laboratory; training reactions given a self-eliminating product for experience gain; added healing reaction, vampiric & werebeast transformations.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:08:16 am by Malecus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Malecus' Mad Medical Mod! -- Further Ideas Being Accepted
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:14:56 am »

1) Transformations work, but the creature drops all clothing. But he/she is fully healed, even missing limbs are replaced.

2) You cannot specify which civilians wears which clothing, so you cant give your doctors your lab coats or surgical masks. Migrants will arrive randomly with those items. You can circumvent that by making them armor and assigning your doctors these equipment pieces by "specific item" selection in the military screen.

3) Daggers are no military weapons, so your scalpels have to be assigned like that as well. Only thieves bring SKILL:KNIFE weapons. (EDIT: Wait a minute, its [SKILL:SURGERY] in this case. I dont even know how this is handled. I remember trying butcher cleavers with the butcher skill at some point, but it didnt really work out.)

4) Your training reactions dont train anything. XP are given for created items, and you have no products. You have to create something, the more items, the more XP you get. For example PRODUCT:100:2:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:SOMETHING-THAT-BOILS-AWAY.

5) You could use Putnams Itemsyndrome script to add some benefitial effects, like better disease resistance when wearing a surgical mask, or similar little buffs.

6) You avatar is still awesome, as always. :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 11:16:47 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 11:14:40 am »

What about transformations?  It's not a real mad doctor lab without some kind of body augmentation!

You could make a whole bunch of 'altered dwarf' castes that can be produced in the lab.  Knives for hands, extra limbs, that kind of stuff.  Maybe also add reactions to add special syndromes like no pain, no breathe, no thought, etc.

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 02:29:51 pm »

What about transformations?  It's not a real mad doctor lab without some kind of body augmentation!

You could make a whole bunch of 'altered dwarf' castes that can be produced in the lab.  Knives for hands, extra limbs, that kind of stuff.  Maybe also add reactions to add special syndromes like no pain, no breathe, no thought, etc.

Already part of vanilla.  :P

Maybe have as a starting point changing dwarfs to vampires/werewolves? That seems like the logical starting point for a mad scientist, before they go all Frankenstein. Although a vampire with a silver war hammer for a hand would be pretty cool. He just has to remember to not scratch any itches with it.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 02:20:55 am »

Meph:
1) I'm fine with a fully-healed but nekkid dorf.  It can be rationalized as disrobing for the operation (or science so powerful it'll knock your =socks= off).

2) I'm also fine with random dwarves wearing goggles or lab coats.  It's not like they put much selective pressure into their clothing as it currently sits (if you're not alright with male dwarves walking around wearing thongs and skirts, you've got bigger problems than a non-surgeon wearing a surgeon's mask).  But you're right about not being able to garb doctors thematically.  I'll have to add [SQUAD:10:igor:igors] to the chief medical dwarf position.

3) I thought non-weapon skills on weapons worked like the MINING skill and the pick.  Arena testing may be needed to see if one can increase their medical skill using the weapon or if a skilled wielder simply gets damage bonuses/more effective use from the weapon.  In any case, the SQUAD token should solve the arming problem as well, at least in terms of style.

4) I've changed the reactions to reflect this (I always thought my medical dwarves trained slowly in the theater).  But now I have a new problem in that a single unit of product results in a dwarf going from untrained to legendary in a single reaction.  I tested it with a gabbro boulder product in lieu of the sublimating rock and it works normally that way.  I don't know why that's happening.  Yet.

5) That sounds awesome; are they part of Putnam's more subtle works or would it require activation via DFHack?

6) I can think of no better symbol for a mod such as this; so it won't be changing any time soon.

IndigoFenix & Cerevox:
I'm looking through some other mods right now to see what's possible and what isn't.  There's a lot I can see that might be fun to do (uplifting to make more Tigermen-like creatures, skin replaced with metals, head shrinking, brain-boosting; to say nothing of what might happen to the game if I change the gender of a married dwarf).  The current pausing point for me right now is how to administer the results.  A sublimating stone will get anyone near the mad dwarf, but is also likely to afflict the scientist as well (I turned my leader into a vampire trying to get someone close to him; I might be able to circumvent this with a prior reaction that renders the scientist immune to later experiments) and the proper target would either have to be trapped in the room with the scientist or be chained for crimes next to the building for it to take effect (which seems like an interesting punishment: bodily forfeiture to science).

Vampires have been added by copying the code from the vanilla files.  Werebeasts are having an issue that I haven't had the time to look too deeply into yet.  Solutions are forthcoming though.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 08:32:58 pm »

The idea of  'altered dwarf' is a good one, i have some code that should be help full with that.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 11:59:24 am »

So this is a combination medical training and transform mod?  Fun theme!

It would be cool if you had even more optional transformations you could do to your dwarves.